720p at 30FPS on Consoles Goal for Battlefield 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 720p at 30FPS on Consoles Goal for Battlefield 3

DICE and EA's current goal for Battlefield 3 is to make the most of each platform's strong points. To this degree, the development team is aiming for solid framerates specific to consoles and a higher degree for PC gamers.

They are aiming for 720p at 30 frames per second on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. This comes by way of a few Tweets from Johan Andersson, a "Rendering Architect" at DICE.

no we always do 30 fps on consoles, not possible to fit in vehicles, fx, scale and all players otherwise

This has drawn some scoffing from Activision and Infinity Ward as they fired off how Modern Warfare 3 will run at 60 frames per second. They obviously not realizing just how much more demanding the Frostbite 2 engine is (destruction, soft particles, physics particles acted upon by wind and other factors) when compared to a modified Quake 3 engine still in use in the Call of Duty titles.

DICE also wants to make it clear that everything shown on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon was from a pre-alpha version of the console version of Battlefield 3. It has a long way to go before it's finalized and optimized.

There going to have to cut this game to pieces to make it run on an Xbox lol While the PC version shines! It's good to be a PC gamer right now.

Comment

oh yeah pc gaming coming home

Comment

720p at 30FPS on jimykx's laptop Goal for Battlefield 3

Comment

Re: 720p at 30FPS on Consoles Goal for Battlefield 3

This has drawn some scoffing from Activision and Infinity Ward as they fired off how Modern Warfare 3 will run at 60 frames per second. They obviously not realizing just how much more demanding the Frostbite 2 engine is (destruction, soft particles, physics particles acted upon by wind and other factors) when compared to a modified Quake 3 engine still in use in the Call of Duty titles.
          Awww... they think they are still on an advanced engine...

Comment

is 30 on consoles/tv different than on PC? i can't stand playing such low frame rates, i need 50 and above.

Comment

Anyone know the ETA of the PS4?

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                is 30 on consoles/tv different than on PC? i can't stand playing such low frame rates, i need 50 and above.
                Personally I have a hard time standing it but people get used to it. The FPS is locked to 30 though on consoles so you'll always get a solid FPS. If you play on PC and you get a fluctuating FPS in the 30 range it feels much worse.

Comment

Anyone know the ETA of the PS4?
                  Something like the Xbox720, ~2013-2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                    I don't know personally, but I would assume so. Since you sit at a farther distance, a lower FPS could seem smoother than it would on a PC.

Remember, movies run at 29.something FPS and are meant to be watched in the same way as people play consoles. The distance combined with added motion blur makes it seem very smooth. I assume they would be aiming to do the same thing.
                    Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Ok had to post on this one, lol it's going to be pretty sad at 30 fps because when Sh*t hits the fan this game is going to be dropping fps like nobody's business. Locked at 30 doesn't mean always 30. You see it in most games on consoles, when lots starts happening on the screen , fps drop way down and no one can tell because they have no fraps or other fps counter. I would say it will drop down into the low teens when things get nuts online and even in single player. I have always said that the reason you need a good video card these days is because of the fluctuation in fps in the newest games. I can watch BC2 drop 25-30 fps like no problem online. So thats why you need to be cruising at 60 fps or more just to handle these massive drops in fps. Consoles are no different as far as I can tell. They are a pc, and an outdated one at that, so DICE has there work cut out for them. Correct me if I'm nuts here?:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                        I don't know personally, but I would assume so. Since you sit at a farther distance, a lower FPS could seem smoother than it would on a PC.

Remember, movies run at 29.something FPS and are meant to be watched in the same way as people play consoles. The distance combined with added motion blur makes it seem very smooth. I assume they would be aiming to do the same thing.
                        Most people also sit much further from the tv than what movies are optimized for. Most people sit so far away that it's not humanly possible to see the extra detail you get from HD.

Comment

i hate it when people compare gaming to movies because they are totally different. you are interfacing with your pc where as movies are just playing on the screen and it involves no interaction from you other than watching.

Comment

Yes fps on consoles can fall drastically just like a PC game and the difference with movies is there's no motion blur, on some games you can really feel the game is barely fluid.

Comment

Working...
                            X