Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get Ready for Monthly Fee to Play Call of Duty (UPDATED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Ready for Monthly Fee to Play Call of Duty (UPDATED)

Update 1: Robert Bowling from Infinity Ward just Tweeted this about the Call of Duty Elite service.

COD ELITE is free, for all players, some paid aspects TBD. Absolutely NO fee to play #MW3 multiplayer. Detailed reveal coming tomorrow AM.

We'll have more on the service tomorrow morning it seems!

Original:

The Wall Street Journal has broke the news that Activision is readying an announcement that will find the next Call of Duty title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, offering up a pay to play monthly subscription fee. The service, called Call of Duty Elite will be a monthly payment that will "provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play."

Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests.

Another feature of the service will give "Call of Duty" players tools, modeled on those from stock-trading websites, to analyze their performance within the game, gauging factors such as which weapons have been most successful for them in killing enemies.

Bobby Kotick says that this service will not hinder players who just want to play the game normally online against other players. It is instead for those wanting a bit more from their game. Prices have yet to be finalized for Elite but are said to be comparable to other online services like Netflix. These prices will be on top of the base cost of the game (estimated to be $60 USD again), plus costs already associated with Xbox Live Gold, your monthly ISP fee, or PlayStation Plus subscriptions.

Kotick went on to say:

In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service. While he is coy about many of the offerings that will be included in the service, Mr. Kotick said Call of Duty Elite, and the customer-service operation that will be needed to support it, wouldn't be possible if the service was free. "This is an enormous investment," he said.

Rob Dyer, Senior VP of Publisher Relations at Sony pointed out that if this is successful, more companies are sure to follow suit:

Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations at Sony's U.S. games division, said only a few games have the audience loyalty and size to support a subscription service like Call of Duty Elite. Mr. Dyer said he is "very confident" other publishers will follow Activision's lead. "There's money to be made there," he said.

And you thought IW.net was the biggest worry you had with the PC release of Modern Warfare 3.

Aren't they making millions, oh let me rephrase that, Billions already?

And "analyze their performance within the game, gauging factors such as which weapons have been most successful for them in killing enemies." this is just plain stupidity, most Multiplayer FPS games have this feature for free.

Worst part is people will still get it.

Comment

this is just the news DICE and EA wanted to hear YES YES YES!!!!

COD will die a painful death

Comment

Re: Get Ready for Monthly Fee to Play Call of Duty (UPDATED)

Well its only a non-compulsary service... if EA and DICE play their cards right they may have a winner on their hands... but especially with that stupid Pre-order exclusive bonus EA (and Probably DICE) still has/have a lot to learn

Comment

While it's not required to play, I will not be purchasing this game because I don't want to show them the service might work. Looks like EA will get my money again for BF3.

Comment

"non-compulsory service". Sure.
            They will soon realise that they need to offer an ingame advantage to make it worthwhile for most potential buyers. Just look at BF:H and BF P4F, it didn't take long before they were selling weapons and first-aid kits.

Comment

well what Im trying to say is if they don't succumb[spelling?] to this virus and in fact market that Idea as "preposterous" and something that EA will "Never do for an FPS game" then we may have a winner. Sadly, as I stated... EA and Dice arent that start...

Comment

Am i the only person extremely excited to hear this news? This will absolutely kill the CoD franchise!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                  Am i the only person extremely excited to hear this news? This will absolutely kill the CoD franchise!
                  I would be too if I had more faith in humanity.

Comment

Why am I not surprised by this news. My how the mighty have fallen.

Comment

*sniggers

this is good to watch because its so unbelievably rubbish yet I bet people will pay for it

man I hope CoD fails because really its the only thing keep Activision in business, Blizzard should jump ship

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                        I would be too if I had more faith in humanity.
                        The fact is that the majority of gamers for the CoD franchise are playing on consoles where you already have to pay to play online. I cant see them being happy with having to pay even more just to level the playing field in game.

Not to mention most of them are probably teenagers whose parents pay for the privileges. I dont know about you, but if my rents were already paying a monthly fee for me and i asked them for another they would tell me to get stuffed.

Activision will soon see how this is a very poor marketing choice.

Comment

yep I can imagine the xbox kiddies screaming for a CoD sub when their parents already pay for Live

the parents will be pissed most of all ha, especially during times likes these, people aren't going to pay for stuff that games have done for free for a long time

Comment

Making a feature like this is nice to see from any publisher, but charging for it is just ridiculous. Bungie has done the same thing for free for years now with Halo 3 and now Halo Reach and has never mentioned a word of charging for all of it. Activision is ruining the gaming industry with all this greed, they really need to die.

Comment

Introducing Call of Duty Elite, an innovative new online service that significantly enhances the Call of Duty franchise's multiplayer experience delivering a...

The trailer is funny and I already signed up for the BETA. Also last few seconds of the trailer are funny as heck showing off some MW3 stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X