Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get Ready for Monthly Fee to Play Call of Duty (UPDATED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get Ready for Monthly Fee to Play Call of Duty (UPDATED)

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
    The fact is that the majority of gamers for the CoD franchise are playing on consoles where you already have to pay to play online. I cant see them being happy with having to pay even more just to level the playing field in game.

You're assuming that people think rationally. This is not the case. People WILL still pay. Which is indeed ********.

Not to mention most of them are probably teenagers whose parents pay for the privileges. I dont know about you, but if my rents were already paying a monthly fee for me and i asked them for another they would tell me to get stuffed.

But their parents already bought them a rated M game. With the map packs + preorder and whatever. What stops them from spitting out another $15 to please their "precious little pumpkin"?

Activision will soon see how this is a very poor marketing choice.

Wrong. They will still make a butt load of money off of the few people who subscribe to this feature as it's just a stat tracker (from what I've understood) and therefore extremely cheap to implement. So even if a small % of morons (think of how many people play COD across all platforms) do buy this, then they will make a profit. Plus the billions they will make from buying the game to begin with.
    Yeah I'm a cynical bastard

But it is smart on their behalf. We all hope it'll be their downfall, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be.................... :|:

Comment

Am i the only person extremely excited to hear this news? This will absolutely kill the CoD franchise!
      Um...no

Update 1: Robert Bowling from Infinity Ward just Tweeted this about the Call of Duty Elite service.

COD ELITE is free, for all players, some paid aspects TBD. Absolutely NO fee to play #MW3 multiplayer. Detailed reveal coming tomorrow AM.
      Kill the franchise? geez where do these guys come from? You mad cod is so successful? . I mean I hate where CoD is going but I don't deny that it is successful. Even if they charged 100 bucks a month, it will still not kill the franchise lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Zero
        Um...no

Kill the franchise? geez where do these guys come from? You mad cod is so successful? . I mean I hate where CoD is going but I don't deny that it is successful. Even if they charged 100 bucks a month, it will still not kill the franchise lol.

Comment

Anyone who thinks that paying for CoD Elite WONT provide those users with an unfair advantage online be it weapons or perks needs a head check. How greedy have Activision been in the past? Do you honestly think think they wont milk this for as much as they can aswell? The second online becomes who has the biggest wallet the player base will start to die. Just like it did with heroes.

Comment

Not to mention that players will soon realize that paying for it is completely redundant when they just release a new game every 10 months.

Comment

Season 2 brings new maps, modes, weapons, operators and more in the latest Call of Duty® FPS game: Modern Warfare® 3 (2023). Play on PS5, PS4, Xbox, Battle.net, or STEAM.

Closed Beta.

For those who wish to try their luck.

Comment

Not to mention that players will soon realize that paying for it is completely redundant when they just release a new game every 10 months.
                But by then they'll already have their money?

Comment

I don't care that I don't have to pay for it, any chance of me buying MW3 just went out of the window with this.

The sad thing is that something like this, combined with a game being a reskin of CoD4, should be enough to kill their sales. Unfortunately, I don't think it will. Now, I expect that they will see a definite drop in sales from Black Ops, and maybe that will wake them up.
                  Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by groundedzero
                    But by then they'll already have their money?
                    Pretty much. People always whine and whine about how awful cod is, yet they are the ones giving them the money. Or people that are going to be mister tough guy huff and puff saying that they are not buying any activision game again (THEY WILL). Activision will still get their money. Even if they lose 1 million sales compared to that of black ops, it will still be the top selling game which is sad in a way.

A lot of the money they get is off pre orders, invest the money from the pre orders, and pre orders for MW3 are double what black ops was a year ago.

DON'T PRE-ORDER!!!

Comment

Anyone who thinks that paying for CoD Elite WONT provide those users with an unfair advantage online be it weapons or perks needs a head check. How greedy have Activision been in the past? Do you honestly think think they wont milk this for as much as they can aswell? The second online becomes who has the biggest wallet the player base will start to die. Just like it did with heroes.
                      No, it will provide an unfair advantage. Its just people will pay for that Unfair advantage, and Activision will declare victory once again. And then blame piracy and probably steam again for its low (because of the F***ing PC demographic) sales on PC.

Comment

Activision has to learn their lesson and not let Kotick speak to the press, they have no idea how hated he is and I'm not talking about a publicity good kind of way, he is just flat out hated, even by die hard WoW players.

Already pre-ordered, but if I hear anything bad about the game like you have to subscribe to get the map packs, not just you get the map packs with subscription my pre-order is being added to BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Zero
                          Pretty much. People always whine and whine about how awful cod is, yet they are the ones giving them the money. Or people that are going to be mister tough guy huff and puff saying that they are not buying any activision game again (THEY WILL). Activision will still get their money. Even if they lose 1 million sales compared to that of black ops, it will still be the top selling game which is sad in a way.

A lot of the money they get is off pre orders, invest the money from the pre orders, and pre orders for MW3 are double what black ops was a year ago.

DON'T PRE-ORDER!!!
                          I like you. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by RangerXML
                            Activision has to learn their lesson and not let Kotick speak to the press, they have no idea how hated he is and I'm not talking about a publicity good kind of way, he is just flat out hated, even by die hard WoW players.

Already pre-ordered, but if I hear anything bad about the game like you have to subscribe to get the map packs, not just you get the map packs with subscription my pre-order is being added to BF3.
                            Based on what most articles have said that I have read, you will have to pay the subscription to get the DLC map packs. Obviously that is not official yet, but that seems like one of the obvious things that they would charge for.
                            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Kotick is not a gamer, he's a businessman. He knows the franchises that he controls, and he knows the fanbases that those franchises hold and how he can not only do something like this but just come right out and announce it and even though people will still be pissed and claim to boycott the games, more than enough people will still pay for the service to make up for any lost sales and then some. From a gaming point a view, the guy is a grade-A prick and milks franchises until they're dry, giving minimal output with maximum cash returns. From a business standpoint, he gets exactly the results he wants - a bigger bottom line, all else bedamned. As I said, he knows how rabid and blind the fanbases of his franchises are so he knows what he can and can't get away with and he pushes it just enough to only turn off those on the fringe and keep everyone else on the end of that leash. Ultimately, this will dry up a franchise until there's nothing left, and then it will be abandoned and he'll move on to the next fanbase and franchise. It's certainly not a perfect solution as eventually he'll have run out of studios to buy and franchises to milk, but by then he'll own the free world so it needn't require a long-term plan. It's essentially a means to an end, not the end itself.

Basically he's that religious cult leader that everyone knows is out of his mind but for some reason always has people doing exactly what he wants. Evil genius, tbh.

Comment

I do not care what his philosophy is, I just hate to hear the guy speak. We know what he is about, we know what his company is about, but does he really have to go out there and rub it into the few peoples faces that still want to buy the games? I like the Modern Warfare series and I want to finish the damn story I started, but does he have to make me feel so lousy about buying his companies games.

Comment

Working...
                                X