X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

Originally posted by DHoff
    Honestly, who didn't see this coming?
    I could understand if the russian people decided they didnt want the game, but it is always a bad sign when the goverment bans due to hurt feelings.

IMHO the terrorist level was one of the least unrealistic in the game. I could certainly see it happen a number of places around the world, including russia.
    And remember terrorist = russians does not imply russians = terrorists.

Bad storyline though, really, really bad.
    Written by someones nephew no doubt.

Comment

I don't think they portray ALL Russia as terrorist! They just focus on the characters who have to do with the story of the game.

Look at Nikolai, he is Russian, and is a hero from the game.

In the previous game, there was also some "good Russians", like Makarov through the game.

This is a ********...ex-soviet countries are aways banning everything. These countries are troublefull...

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
        Bad storyline though, really, really bad.
        Written by someones nephew no doubt.
        Bad? It's just perfect! It's so unpredictable! I never saw anything of that coming and that's is emotion from the game!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarineNugem
          Bad? It's just perfect! It's so unpredictable! I never saw anything of that coming and that's is emotion from the game!!
          Well it wasn't surprising when somebody died, AGAIN!
          I do have to mention, soap likes killing leaders in slow motion

Comment

No, its really bad. I cant wait untill Zero Punctation gets his hand on this game

But we have a long list of why the SP game suck over in http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/fo...d.php?t=219920

Comment

IW are smacktards. They F**cked up big time on this game.

Comment

I guess Im the only hone who likes to shoot virtuel civilians.

They cant shoot back, I actually got a chance :/

Comment

I don't think they portray ALL Russia as terrorist! They just focus on the characters who have to do with the story of the game.
                  Yes they did. Remember the introduction video for the game? Where the international relations situation is being discussed? Where Russian people are being shown supporting Zakhaev? While it doesnt say they are terrorists, it does say that they promote and support violence, war and are stupid enough to devote themselves to a one-handed hookman who would send shivers down anyones spines.

As for the rest of the storyline, its like Planet of the Apes. We know the Apes are bad and want to kill you. But theres one (Nikholai) of them who has been thrown in to "keep the balance". Its writing on a juvenile level.

Note, I dont have a problem with the airport scene. I thought it was great, I still think that its one of the greatest ways any company has used to try to create immersion for the upcoming missions, but the more I play, the more I realize that it was actually a desperate move.

The story is like an incoherent pile of bits and pieces. Youre so busy killing hundreds of enemies in an overly scripted manner, that you cant slow down and take your time with the dialogues. This is the first COD game where you just HAVE to read the subtitles. So considering the nonexistent storyline, the whole game focuses on shocking and familiar images. Which is why the game, for a trained eye, is not full of "homages" but ripoffs, through and through. Its Clancy, its BHD, its Wolverines, Rambo, et cetera.

Look at Nikolai, he is Russian, and is a hero from the game.
                  Its so incredibly American of you to say that. If youve watched Planet of the Apes, did you consider that weakling ape-chick to be the hero?

A realistic portrayal of deception and how good people fight the wrong war can be achieved by *not** insulting the viewers/players intelligence by using cheap methods and tricks to paint a picture of a nation revering a terrorist. As a matter of fact, someone like Imran Zakhaev would never come to power in Russia.

An analogy to this would be USA declaring war on Canada over George Bush being killed by his staff using poisoned maple syrup from Canada, because "the whole America would cry for war" after theyve found out where the syrup was from.

In the previous game, there was also some "good Russians", like Makarov through the game.
                  The previous games were reenactments of battles. Whether Russians were good or evil was left purely to intepretation. Modern Warfare 2 is something completely different and it has abandoned COD-s established storytelling.

This is a ********...ex-soviet countries are aways banning everything. These countries are troublefull...
                  Actually, this is the only game with Russians as antagonists that I know of, which is banned. The game is junk. Russians apparently have more taste than you do.

Comment

IW got what they deserve IMO...

Comment

As long as IW don't offend people in the Netherlands, they will be okay.

Comment

The Script makes no sense really.

The only part i understood was Makarov making the russians think the USA wiped out thousands of civilians in a airport and then attacking the US

What they needed to do is have a long cutscene at the start of the game filling in the last 5 years and then 10-15 munites of story at end of each mission filling in the background like on MGS,

It just seems like infinity ward just hashed together a couple of random missions that sepearte teams created and called it a storyline

Originally posted by groundedzero
                        IW got what they deserve IMO...
                        Praise all round from reviews, and a hefty bonus from Activision probably

Comment

Originally posted by Torchwood
                          As long as IW don't offend people in the Netherlands, they will be okay.
                          I take it you havent heard about the new DLC level "Hippie Wash"?
                          Your goal is to stop a russian invasion by blowing the dikes, flooding the Netherlands in the process

Comment

I dont know what to think on this one. It would be different if Russians were running around burning the copies in the streets, but this coming from the Government makes it seem more of a political stunt to me and another attempt to keep down the fact that all the stereotypes in the game are true to some degree.

Like it or not this stuff happens in life that is in the game and has happened in in the past almost just like the game. Leaders and groups have come to power over a few ignorant ideas or the misunderstanding of the masses or the conditions of the country at the time. The KKK in the US in the 1920s had close to 18 million members. The reason wasn't because of racism but because being in a popular group was the way to go. When the extremist of the cal started doing their evil and people started relising what was going on, the membership fell off in the millions just as fast.

As a stupid American (No sarcasm intended but as a guy that has strictly an American viewpoint and no worldy view), I did not see the Russians as terrorists and the people that supported them as evil. I saw it as another plot and instead of Communists, they are Ultranationalists. Just another government party that happens to be controlling and manipulates the masses.

The basis of what the Russian government did is the Airport scene. Without it, the story falls on its face. Americans killed those civilians. What would happen in real life if that actually happened? You think Russia would just go to the UN and ask for embargos and walk away?

When Hitler does this its the Nazi Party and most the German people were trying to survive with their economy. When Bush does it its Cowboy Americans wanting to fire their six shooters into the sky. When Russia does it, its not possible and its a bad light on the entire Russian people? Because their history shows this?

To me this games SP was a standard 80s,90s style cold war era action adventure that was brushed up some for modern day use. I liked it with its twist and turns and thought it a game and only that.

Personally I think most everyone here is falling into the stereotype everyone is trying to avoid. Its very American

Crunch
                            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Crunch. The airport scene as one of the catalyst to war isnt really the part I was objecting. I think it was a really nice touch, very Clancy-esque. Its the fact that Russian people revered a terrorist, savage and while being so- not a Russian. In comparison, its like Americans would elect Hugo Chavez to be their president. Its not treading on sterotypes, its taking the worst of the stereotypes, dumbing them down and throwing into a disjointed mix. If they really wanted to go Clancy on the storyline, they should have asked him to do the writing.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                                The basis of what the Russian government did is the Airport scene. Without it, the story falls on its face. Americans killed those civilians. What would happen in real life if that actually happened? You think Russia would just go to the UN and ask for embargos and walk away?
                                I doubt the russians would start WWIII because one former US soldier took part in a terrorist action.
                                And the whole invasion is stupid beyond belief. Airborne invasion of a country the size of the US? Which btw. still has a pretty large fleet that would soon retaliate on the attacker.

Comment

Working...
                                X