Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

Due to the nature in which Russians are portrayed in Modern Warfare 2, the country has banned the sale of the game and have begun to recall all copies that were already sold.

The most complained about part of the game centers around a group of terrorists shooting civilians inside a Russian airport. Infinity Ward is already working on a version of the game that completely removes this level and is hoping to re-release the game in less than a month's time. However, this new version may still not be enough to allow the game to be sold in that region given how the game centers around a war between the US and Russia.
    Russian gamers are apparently very unhappy with the game's content. One Web site, GotPS3, railed against Infinity Ward for catering to an American audience and ignoring the sensitivities of other cultures. The site believes that Infinity Ward portrays the Russians as terrorists.
    This isn't the first time a country has taken issue with how their homeland was portrayed in a game. Another recent example is when the Venezuelan government took issue with Mercenaries 2 or when the North Korean government took issue with Ghost Recon 2.

Re: Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

Honestly, who didn't see this coming?

Comment

...Infinity Ward portrays the Russians as terrorists.
      Well, yeah, they do.

Comment

Ha ha, If North Korea only had a computer powerful enough to play Crysis on.

I think they're a little too sensitive on the issue, I guess Germany needs to step up and start complaining about all those WWII games, maybe Japan too.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
          Well, yeah, they do.
          What do you mean by that?

Comment

This is why it's always safe to make up fake nations for video games.

Comment

The problem isnt in it being about a fictional war between USA and RUS as theres plenty of those around, portraying Russians as antagonists, even. The problem is that the story is made up in such a retarded way that even though on paper is orchestrated by an American, the Russians portrayal as terrorists is more evident. As youre playing, the cheap methods make the story just way too secondary to the gameplay. You barely get glimpses of it. So instead of a compelling storyline with great twists all gamers would appreciate, we get a ****ty, half baked product which will be misunderstood by most people.

Notice how people didnt give a **** about COD4? WiC? MGS3?

I have no idea where IW got their writers and scripters from, but they should all be fired. Im playing through the single player right now and the game is a piece of junk. No wonder Russians feel offended. They cant be blamed for this. Im a strong opponent to any Jack Thompson-esque BS regarding videogames, but unfortinately MW2 is just such a ****ing disaster of a game, a pile of messy and incoherent BS, that the only image it does paint of Russkies, is that they all worship massmurders and terrorists, while the US folks have been "cleverly deceived by a vengeful mastermind".

Its the exact kind of BS I saw in 2012. If youre going to use nationality, at least do it so it will be entertaining to watch and wouldnt insult the viewers intelligence.

Comment

So then the $10 price increase is working well for them......... that profit is getting eat up because of reprints. Or are they gonna tell us that for all the people that bought the game, we have to send MORE MONEY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                  The problem isnt in it being about a fictional war between USA and RUS as theres plenty of those around, portraying Russians as antagonists, even. The problem is that the story is made up in such a retarded way that even though on paper is orchestrated by an American, the Russians portrayal as terrorists is more evident. As youre playing, the cheap methods make the story just way too secondary to the gameplay. You barely get glimpses of it. So instead of a compelling storyline with great twists all gamers would appreciate, we get a ****ty, half baked product which will be misunderstood by most people.

I have no idea where IW got their writers and scripters from, but they should all be fired. Im playing through the single player right now and the game is a piece of junk. No wonder Russians feel offended. They cant be blamed for this. Im a strong opponent to any Jack Thompson-esque BS regarding videogames, but unfortinately MW2 is just such a ****ing disaster of a game, a pile of messy and incoherent BS, that the only image it does paint of Russkies, is that they all worship massmurders and terrorists, while the US folks have been "cleverly deceived by a vengeful mastermind".

Its the exact kind of BS I saw in 2012. If youre going to use nationality, at least do it so it will be entertaining to watch and wouldnt insult the viewers intelligence.
                  I disagree. All I saw in the gameplay of MW2 is that the Russians were deceived and used by Makarov into starting a war with the US. I believe that they are just wanting payback like the US did for 9/11. It's basically the same story, we were attacked and many civilians were killed so we went into Afghanistan and then Iraq. The Russians in this game were just taking it the way we took the 9/11 attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield

Couldn't agree anymore.

Comment

Chris sets the record straight. Again.

I agree with you, I absolutely despise the single player - although I am enjoying the MP despite it's lack of dedicated servers, but that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue Warrior
                        So then the $10 price increase is working well for them......... that profit is getting eat up because of reprints. Or are they gonna tell us that for all the people that bought the game, we have to send MORE MONEY!!
                        Oh don't worry,
                        Come 2010 and MW3 will be at least $70. People will still buy it.

Welcome to the new age of gaming. Or rather we should change that general term to Casual Gaming. :yay:

BTW, considering the length of the SP, I bet they have around 2-3 hours of material left over. So, it will take them maybe 6-8 months to get additional 2 hours of new material and back on the shelves it goes with a new shiny price tag and a subscription MP.

Comment

double post!

Comment

:cry:

the world should be past cold wars,respect all colours all cultures!:salute:

Comment

I can agree with this, the airport mission (as i have said) is very distasteful. I do not blame them for doing.

Though if i was Russian I may feel a different way.

Comment

Working...
                              X