Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russia Bans Modern Warfare 2

I have not played this game, nor will I, but my .02 cents. On one side, haha at IW for being banned, less sales.

BUT, as some has said, it's not a good thing when the government starts banning stuff like this. Next it's tv shows, movies, books, and then words...Oh wait, China already does not allow the word "freedom" hence why Google and Microsoft complied and you will not find the word "freedom" in China using those apps. Some people say the "N" word should be banned. While I agree it is derogatory or incorrect to use the "N" word, if you start banning words, it goes down a slippery slope and you start banning words like "freedom".

And speaking of countries controlling things, America with its current government is not far behind that trend. New World Order, here we come!

Comment

I found the actual military aspect of the game completely idiotic. All you have to do is read some novels on modern (conventional even...) warfare to know that pretty much everything that happened involving conventional forces in MW2 would never ever happen.

Its astounding how little accuracy is involved in the war fighting aspect of the game its almost unreal... The Russian invasion? Impossible obviously, which was explained before. The weapons used? Mini guns as infantry support weapons? Sentry guns? The Modern Russian army using American rocket launchers and RPG-7s? to shoot at helicopters?? What? Entrenched positions in front of the capital and treasury buildings? An infantry engagement made in the open like that? Even silly things like the positioning of attack jets as they're making attack runs - every time I saw something like that in the game it came from an insanely low altitude and in a ridiculously dangerous proximity to the target. All of it cinematic ********.

I have yet to see a game, or a movie for that matter, with some credibility to real war realism. (Other than things such as BoB... things like that.) It's really not that hard... I don't see why they still make events like this when common sense rejects it is so obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
        ... I don't see why they still make events like this when common sense rejects it is so obviously.
        Because people still pay to see it/play it. And for every person who realizes it's not real, or impossible, there are ten other people out there who think it's "cool" and realistic. CoD has never been about realism even though people always try to say it. There are some realistic aspects to the series, but never realism. It's always been an arcade shooter that has drifted even more so in these latest renditions.

Comment

Bravo Russia.

Comment

even Arma 2 had some anti country things in the game:|:,that maybe shouldnt be mentioned and hollywood is built on questionable choices

there was even a Iraq war game being sold when the country was still being bombed,how bad is that:shakehead:

Comment

Originally posted by JoMaMaz
              Because people still pay to see it/play it. And for every person who realizes it's not real, or impossible, there are ten other people out there who think it's "cool" and realistic. CoD has never been about realism even though people always try to say it. There are some realistic aspects to the series, but never realism. It's always been an arcade shooter that has drifted even more so in these latest renditions.
              Well yea, and I know thats where MP lies, but damn - can't they just do some research for the SP? I mean the real thing is definitely just as exciting, or better.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian government banned the game not because of the content of the airport scene, but because it makes the Russian government look stupid...

"Hey, doesn't that look like the worlds most infamous and well known terrorist Makarov without a mask on in that security tape?"
                "Yeah, but it can't be! He's speaking English!"
                "And what about the witness reports that say they saw Makarov without a mask walking around killing people?"
                "Yeah, but it can't be! He was speaking English! - Oh and by the way, we found the body of this dead CIA agent at the scene too."
                "OK, cool. Lets go attack the US."

so how does the worlds most infamous and well known terrorist massacre and international airport in Moscow which would probably be full of security cameras not get caught on tape shooting the place up without a mask on?... the plot of MW2 has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese... way to go IW!

Comment

it is what it is

Comment

Red Dawn had the most believable story on a US invasion. Not rock solid but at least made SOME sense. The logistics of making an assault on the US from Europe or Asia is just not possible unless they could stage it from another country REALLY close like Mexico, Cuba, or Canada eh. Even then we would know something was up, you just can not house, feed, train, etc that man troops and nobody notice.

MW and MW2 have NEVER been about realism and neither does their stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy_Mullet
                      MW and MW2 have NEVER been about realism and neither does their stories.
                      Who said anything about realism?

Comment

The truth is MW2 sales have not been banned in Russia. And yes, the airport mission has been removed from the Russian edition of the game. I'm not sure about what kind of authorities insisted on applying some censorship to MW2, but I find this fact pretty annoying. Such measures taken by the authorities made them look even more stupid as the community found the way to play the excluded mission right on the release date.

Moreover, changes made to the game caused problems with Steam multi-language support of MW2 that lead to massive claims of Russian gamers which failed to run the game in English (Russian localization, particularly voice acting, speaking softly is far from perfect).
                        As for painting Russians as terrorists. I can't speak for all Russians, of course, but here's my point of view.

I consider myself a reasonable person, I do not live in game, I just play it. That’s why some irrationality, even absurd is acceptable if it serves to better storyline telling or better gameplay. I can’t blame IW of some lack of knowledge regarding Russia’s nowadays, as reality is way too far complicated. To me, game content should not be necessary linked to RL staff.

When it comes to MW, there is no way I can speak about realism watching hordes of Russian paratroopers dropping over North Virginia a-la Red Alert, but it doesn’t bother me much. Another example that made Russian gamers laughed at some scenes in MW series (it doesn’t add realism to the game either). No matter how hard you try, you will never find in the whole Russia an "ultranationalist" with name Imran or second name Zakhaev due to the simple fact that these names are not Russian.

The situation with Zakhaev’s monument shown in the beginning of MW2 is a little more tricky though. One more example from the RL. Moscow (capital of Russia) authorities approved naming one of the city streets after Akhmet Kadyrov, the person known for his calls to “kill as many Russians as possible”. Civil protests and claims have not had any results. Why have I mentioned this incident? Just keep it in mind that interests and goals of Russian people and Russia’s government can be completely different, not to say antagonistic. Thank you guys for not buying “Russians=terrorists” thing.

Last but not the least, I agree with that MW2 storyline seems to have much space for improvements. Still it is a good game with nice graphics and I’m looking forward to check out MP.

Comment

There are hundreds of computer games depicting wars between real nations using real weapons and a semi-plausible story line. Now for some reason this game is banned? Of the thousands of other games out there?

I can't count how many US vs. Russia war games are out. Not to mention where Russia loses. But now it's illegal? This is one heck of a stunt!

OPF-DR wasn't banned in China yet it shows China as an evil invading country. It also shows Russia being spineless but that's not banned either.

I really think this is a silly joke signed by another drunk politician is his anger over being beat by COD6 AI on "Rookie" level.

Comment

Although the story line does suck, quite hard, I still think IW would win a creativity prize if there was one

Comment

Now you all can stop fighting:
                              Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 not banned in Russia, says Activision

Comment

Originally posted by youm0nt
                                Well great! Now what are we going to do?

:laugh:

Crunch
                                Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                                Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
                                X