Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will You Boycott MW2 if the Price Doesn't Go Back to Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will You Boycott MW2 if the Price Doesn't Go Back to Normal?

Originally posted by Mike [WN]
    You guys realize that the old NES games were somewhere in the range of $50, and that was almost 25 years ago. Be glad you're not paying closer to $100 for the basic game, which you would be if inflation rates applied.

That being said, at even $50 a game, and World at War topping 11 million copies sold... half a billion dollars made off a video game does seem pretty steep. ($50 x 11,000,000 = $550,000,000)

Still going to buy Modern Warfare 2 though.
    You're comparing 8-tracks to CDs.
    Back then the actual media (cartridges) was more expensive to make. The materials cost more and the process was just more expensive. Nintendo also charged crazy licensing fees on top of everything else.
    These days they just stamp those discs out by the millions.

Originally posted by David Champion
    Agreed. PC gamers are under the impression that they are entitled to free content at a lower MSRP... I consider myself lucky when we do get MAPPacks for free on PC. Having it added on to the front end package is just smartness on their part. I will be getting "Hardened" for PC.

Eventually games are going to rise in price, sign o' the times. Takes more to produce them, voice acting profiles are bigger etc...
    There are reasons PC gamers feel entitled to lower prices.
    A: We have to pay to provide our own servers. We maintain and admin those servers ourselves while paying rental fees and/or the boxes themselves plus bandwidth.
    B: There is no middleman to take licensing fees. Sony and Microsoft charge for development tools and the privilege of releasing content on their machines. That doesn't exist on the PC. So extra fees are nothing more than extra money because they think they can take it.
    C: Support after the sale. Most of the time, PC gamers get patches and Map Packs and updates long after the consoles, if at all. We also get a lot of responses such as the gem from TreyArch's community manager in my sig.

For this game to be worth the extra cash up front, IW would have to either provide and admin servers or release extra content in a timely fashion along with the consoles. Since their previous performance indicates that neither of those will happen, where will the extra value for the extra money originate? What will they provide to make this game worth more?
    They expect us to pay extra and line up just to be treated like bastard stepchildren again? No thanks, gents.:shakehead:

Comment

I won't buy it because COD is not a good game.

Comment

back to COD 4

Comment

I wish waiting for a price drop was always a realistic option. I went to get a replacement copy of WAW for XBOX as the disc cracked and was surprised to find that 6 months later the price had increased by $5! Luckily, I had previously purchased the disc insurance thingy at EB (Gamespot) and was rewarded with a free replacement copy. I will buy MW2, though at a later time than its release date and it will be secondhand.

Comment

I think I am still going to get it and not boycott. Ive been paying $50 for games for the last 12 years and comparing the games today vs the ones from yesterday, though is different, it is not. The technology back then was just as advanced as it is now, but now you even have actors and voice overs and better audio and graphics and all that.

I was listening to Clark Howard on the radio and he was talking about inflation and how it works and the technology today vs. when they did the moon landing and yes, technology has become cheaper, but people making it happen has increased both in number of persons as well as inflation of salaries.

Goods are going up in price. PC is second to consoles. Dogs and cats are living together.

Save $30 this month and another $30 next and you have your money for the game.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I'm just not going to buy it at release, i'll buy it when the price has dropped 20 bucks or something.

I still have alot of games that still bring me alot of fun, so i don't see why i desperately have to get this one.

MGO, TF2 and ZM will keep me busy for the time being...

Comment

My disposable income can't afford this till its down to 60 dollars.

Comment

Just a heads up, if you're a guest and would like to sound off, now you can! Your post will be put into a moderation queue first, so don't be surprised if your post doesn't show up immediately.

Comment

Boycott !!!!! Boycott!!!1

Comment

As an european, I am already paying around €50 ($70) for my games, so I am not shocked by $60.

But if they continue with $1 = €1 and try to sell the game over here for $85, then I may decide to ignore it.

Comment

I will not buy it at release. I am also considering not buying it at all, because I'm quite honestly tired of the gameplay. Unless it is substantially different from CoD4 with competition features built into the game, such as no perks mode or similar, probably no purchase. Playing on CoD4 and WaW public games must be the dullest thing ever, regardless of gaming system. 90% of the servers being hardcore doesn't help. :dead:

I am tired of "realistic" fps games, some may think I'm going back in time but few games beat the fun of Quake, Warsow or their distant bastard cousin TF2

That's not to say it won't be a good game for fans of the franchise. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                          I will not buy it at release. I am also considering not buying it at all, because I'm quite honestly tired of the gameplay. Unless it is substantially different from CoD4 with competition features built into the game, such as no perks mode or similar, probably no purchase. Playing on CoD4 and WaW public games must be the dullest thing ever, regardless of gaming system. 90% of the servers being hardcore doesn't help. :dead:

I am tired of "realistic" fps games, some may think I'm going back in time but few games beat the fun of Quake, Warsow or their distant bastard cousin TF2

That's not to say it won't be a good game for fans of the franchise. Just not my cup of tea anymore.
                          Then I would wait for sure, because I doubt you will be seeing any of the stuff you want.

I hope not, but you know how it goes.

Crunch
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I will wait until it gets discounted to the regular price/try to find it cheap somewhere. If not, I might eventually break down and buy it if I have some extra money. But I don't like the direction this is going.

Comment

They've pretty much pissed off the hardcore PC market with the price hike, that was sort of predictable.

The issue they'll have being priced above it competitors in the mad shopping time at Christmas parents might see 3 games on their childs Christmas list one of which being MW2, if that is priced above the other two the chances are most parents would be inclined to take one of the others.

The kids themselves won't give a damn about the price increase, they'll still want it as much as MW1. Who knows but come Christmas time with more people out of jobs and even more having a cheaper Christmas they might have priced themselves out of sales.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                                I'm yet to see the Australian prices.
                                the standard PC edition for MW2 is $99 for the standard. The price doesn't put me off buying it, I am helping the economy.

Comment

Working...
                                X