Battlefield Heroes Closed Beta Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Heroes Closed Beta Update

The ever-so-sexy James Salt has posted a new update on the Battlefield Heroes website giving a rundown of what's been happening with the eternal closed beta:
    Hello Heroes,

Been a looooong time since our last update. I want to apologise to you all for that.

So what have we been up to?

Well, the obvious answer is that we've been hard at work on the beta. To give you more detail, part of what makes Battlefield: Heroes unique is that it is equal parts game and website. On the game side, we've been listening to feedback from the lucky beta people, who have been a tremendous help to us in balancing the gameplay, squashing bugs and improving the overall quality of the game.

On to the other half of the Battlefield Heroes experience: the website.

We have also been working hard on the parts of the beta that aren't the game. Sound weird? Let me try and explain: You know the old saying about icebergs being 10% above water, and 90% below? Heroes is a little like that. There's the 10% game part you can see, and the hiding 90% is what we call the 'backend'. The backend does a lot of things. From running the website's features and looking after the items you have, to collecting the results from each Heroes game and matchmaking players into games.

We have received lots of great feedback from our beta testers. So much so that we are now ready to enter our next phase. On Friday evening (6pm CET) we will be closing down the current Closed Beta and moving our focus to polishing the backend. So for a while there will be no closed beta available to play. We expect to re-open the beta early next year.

A special thanks to all of our beta testers for your feedback on balance, polish and bug reports over the last few months. Your help has been invaluable to us.

Surely a sad story for those who have been enjoying the closed beta so far. You can read the full post and pay your last respects here.

Re: Battlefield Heroes Closed Beta Update

So let me get this straight: they claimed the game was practically released already and would be released this summer. Then they started a closed beta and allowed people to sell keys to what is supposed to be a free game. THEN they shut down the beta and say that they might re-open the beta sometime whenever.
    Is this game ever actually going to come out? Is it another Duke Nukem vaporware built on hype and promises?
    It might not be, but keeping your communication with the community this sparse doesn't bolster confidence.

Comment

It will be out, but not before 2009 unfortunately.

I believe the next beta will be the last though.

Comment

"Battlefield Heroes will be a 'free to play' game available later this summer (2008)"

Now we're in November, the 'beta' has still be closed, and the only way to get a key is if you're a caffeinated 16 year old who sits on their website hitting refresh every 5 seconds until they get a key.

What disappoints me about this the most, is that during all of this wasted time developing heroes, they could have been putting constructive work into patching BF2 properly and developing BF3 or better franchises.

Heroes might be free, but I'm willing to pay $60 for Battlefield 3.

Comment

The game could have released in the summer, but wouldnt be free.

Because it is free, delay, delay and delay lal

Comment

You don't remember ? the game is already out !
            Ben Cousin, 22 august:
            Actually, we're in the closed beta already, so the game is already out and you can't delay a game that's already been released and already been played by people.
            http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ben-cousins

Comment

Another epic fail announcement. So much for a free game for the Summer to keep us occupied. There are so many other great games out, why would someone want to play a dumbed-down BF game? I'm baffled as to what is attractive about this game.

My personal conspiracy theory: it's all a ploy to develop BF3 in secret. LOL

Oops, well we couldn't release Heroes in time, so here's BF3 instead...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Snake
                What disappoints me about this the most, is that during all of this wasted time developing heroes, they could have been putting constructive work into patching BF2 properly and developing BF3 or better franchises.
                DICE is big, they've got more than enough resources to develop several games at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Elxx View Post
                  DICE is big, they've got more than enough resources to develop several games at a time

This does look like a 2 guy in a basement project though.

Comment

This is like ET:QW. They didn't release the game when the hype was big and now people will forget about the game and now people will just move on to the more better games.

Comment

Maybe they are just enjoying 'polishing their backends' too much.

Comment

they are too busy with releasing mirror's edge than be working on BF games. even 2142 hasn't gotten the proper attention it's sorely needed in a long time.

Comment

They shouldn't be focusing on BF Heroes...they should be making the next Battlefield game (Possibly BF3)

Clearly they are going to keep stalling Heroes further and further.

Comment

As I said on the thread under the update on the BHF site :

GROIN.

Comment

Heroes its a pretty good game, this next beta will be the last and as it says it will go up again early 2009, and they have been on time on all the beta announcements.

Comment

Working...
                              X