DICE Announces MODLight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DICE Announces MODLight

Some people will take any chance they are given to tongue lash EA and DICE in forums. Im sure the DICE guys are used to seeing it and dont pay it much mind.

I agree with Jimbob on this one. Lets show them that any lines of communication are good. The fact that people will stay on a BF2 forum, just to bad mouth the company that made the game is hysterical. If you were that against it, you wouldnt hang around now would you?

Comment

Originally posted by =DNC=SySeX73
      Some people will take any chance they are given to tongue lash EA and DICE in forums. Im sure the DICE guys are used to seeing it and dont pay it much mind.

I agree with Jimbob on this one. Lets show them that any lines of communication are good. The fact that people will stay on a BF2 forum, just to bad mouth the company that made the game is hysterical. If you were that against it, you wouldnt hang around now would you?
      Missing the jist of the complaintants i think.

This a step in the right direction, suppose so....would it be better them spending there time on something like totalbf2 and numerous other bf2 sites and forums do already rather than, looking at a ranking system or approving mods for ranked server status, or getting direct filters for the mod on the browser...think would be more helpful and a btter use of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
        Support modding by building tools - not a website.
        The BF2 editor released to the public is the same tool we use at DICE to make the game. The rest of our tools are commercial things like Maya, Max, Photoshop, etc. And based on how good alot of the released (and unfortunately unreleased) mods look, I say they have access to all of these tools.

Comment

Originally posted by thebamsco
          Missing the jist of the complaintants i think.
          your missing the jist of the point I am trying to make - now isn't the time to complain. Regardless of each persons individual qualms with DICE/EA, the last thing you want to do is cut down somone when they attempt to make a step in the right direction, whatever that may be. Encouragement is the best course of action - because as much as we would hate to think it, complaining at a dev team when it does something soley for the community is really slapping that gift horse IMO.

save it for another thread. lord knows there's plenty of them already to go post in.

Comment

Better late than ever...something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Demize99
              The BF2 editor released to the public is the same tool we use at DICE to make the game. The rest of our tools are commercial things like Maya, Max, Photoshop, etc. And based on how good alot of the released (and unfortunately unreleased) mods look, I say they have access to all of these tools.
              I personally think the Editor is a great tool. It took me some time to figure things out on my own though. I for one would love a better line of communication with the guys at DICE who really know the tricks of the editor.

Are there any plans or thoughts on that kind of support for people using the editor? Maybe a MOD DEV forum where we could discuss these issues? I frequent the BF2editor forums, and try to share what I know with others there as much as possible.

Comment

On battlefield2-news.de, a german communitypage, you can read that OPK will start .

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob
                  your missing the jist of the point I am trying to make - now isn't the time to complain. Regardless of each persons individual qualms with DICE/EA, the last thing you want to do is cut down somone when they attempt to make a step in the right direction, whatever that may be. Encouragement is the best course of action - because as much as we would hate to think it, complaining at a dev team when it does something soley for the community is really slapping that gift horse IMO.

save it for another thread. lord knows there's plenty of them already to go post in.

concidering the fact the mod teams have come this far with bugger all help would they really miss what little help they will probably end up gettin? Until there is feedback on the usefulness of this excersie it will remain a PR stunt at best.

Comment

Originally posted by mro
                    concidering the fact the mod teams have come this far with bugger all help would they really miss what little help they will probably end up gettin? Until there is feedback on the usefulness of this excersie it will remain a PR stunt at best.
                    Of course we would miss it. Do you honestly think that all us big mods are having a good ol time on easy street trying to figure this s$#t out? Any help, in a world where noone gets paid, is a welcome thing. Rather than totally dismissing this most welcome development at DICE, how bout showing one friggin iota of gratitude? They didnt have to do it but they did, and it is the whiners and complainers (most of which aren't even involved in modding) that ruin it for the rest of us by leaving a bad taste in DICE's mouth for doing the right thing. As i said, leave the hastey generalisations and negative assumptions for another thread. At the very least give it a chance - because arguing/complaining after they have done this is little more than trolling. Go spew negativity elsewhere.

jimbob

Comment

Anything to help mod teams out and spread the word about mods to the general playing community is a good thing. There is one more thing Dice can do to assist in spreading the word on mod, use that annoying popup you get when you first log on to BF2 to advertise the Modlight web page for a while, as that will ensure maximum exposure and ensure even the most casual of BF2 players get to see what's going on with the Mod scene.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob
                        - because as much as we would hate to think it, complaining at a dev team when it does something soley for the community is really slapping that gift horse IMO.
                        heh, wouldn't slapping a gift Horse make it get up and go???? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I think this is a good effort on DIEACE's part, but unfortunately, the total conversion mods that might be taking a little longer to complete are kinda cut out of this deal. Sounds like they are only reviewing released mods. This is a little different than the media exposure that was offered the mods on their BF2 site. Don't know what happened there. SF is just as unreleased as FH2, XWW2, BFG/Frontlines, PoE, Brickfield, Carebears, yada yada, but even moreso, since SF annouced they were thinking about changing game engines... yet they got (what I beleive was) over 6 months of media exposure on their site.

I hope this one works out much better for everyone. I think Collin Clark will make sure corp makes good and follows through on this one. He was quite helpful to me on a request recently, and it somewhat renewed my hopes of mod support. Good luck to all the released mods on this. I know it's tuff to be judged on your early beta releases, but it looks like someone is calling your number :P

Comment

Originally posted by Rad
                          heh, wouldn't slapping a gift Horse make it get up and go???? Sorry, couldn't resist.
                          [Jimbob takes the encouragement and slaps the gift horse]

brrrrr Neeeeigh!

[gift horse rears and gallops off into the sunset... eagle cries as tumbleweed rolls by]

AWWWW! :cry:

:laugh:

Comment

Well, this is nice of EA/Dice

But unfortunately, Red Crucible has already dropped the BF2 engine. I have decided to go with another, major, engine that is slated to be released in 2007. I also believe that any BF2 mod that's worth its salt will also switch engines, eventually. This major new engine is 300 times easier to work with, and looks 100 times better ingame then BF2. I believe that the BF2 engine is ultimately a dead end.

Comment

I'm pretty sure DICE/EA already announced a thing like this about 8 months ago - they asked all the mod teams to send in their applications to appear on a 'mod spotlight'. I sent Battlefield: Apocalypse's application in (when I used to be their PR leader) - never heard anything back from DICE/EA. AFAIK, they did a weak summary of the "Shattered Faith" mod, and we never heard anything about the mod spotlight again.

Some googling reveals:

Heres the orginal link to mod spotlight 1:

And the result of "Mod Spotlight 2"

If it ever existed.

In conclusion, take every mod-related announcement from Dice with many truckloads of salt.

Wish I could find the original announcement by Dice of their so-called "Mod Spotlight" but alas, it seems impossible to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X