DICE Announces MODLight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE Announces MODLight

Posted over on the Battlefield 2 Editor forums is an announcement by Colin Clarke ([DICE]CKMC) about a new program they will be starting in hopes to build a stronger relationship with all the mod teams. Here's what he had to say:
    As part of an effort to build more support and recognition for the mod community we have put together the following event.

MODLight! The mod spotlight review where every Battlefield mod is reviewed and given its due respect. Here are the details:

1 - Each mod that has a release version out will be reviewed by EA, DICE, and the mod community.
    2 - A review of the mod will be posted to the EA Official Website and Forums.
    3 - Along with the review will be information for where clients can download the mod to play for themselves.
    4 - Our excellent Game Service Providers world wide have come onboard to provide both file hosting for client downloads and game server hosting for the mod currently under review.

It is my sincere hope this will help build player populations for the mods and be the first step towards rebuilding a stronger relationship between DICE and our mod community.

Please keep in mind that this is not a competition. We will review every mod and each mod will have the same amount of time on servers. This is also an event of mutual respect so all review threads, which will be hosted on this forum, should remain positive even in criticism.

There will be an official announcement on the EA site next week, but I felt it appropriate to reach out to everyone here first.

It's great to hear about this new program DICE is looking to create. Be sure to stay tuned as we will post the official announcement when it is released.

Re: DICE Announces MODLight

Excellent.

Maybe Mods will finally get the support they deserve.

Comment

Thanks so much DICE. We want to help the bf2 community with lots of options for alternate gaming. I cant wait to see how this unfolds.

Comment

Maybe Mods will finally get the support they deserve.
        The ranking system alone is a HUGE blow to the mod community.

Comment

Originally posted by Dronetek
          Maybe so, but you get to do alot that was not included in the orginal product like for example, the M109 Self Propelled Artillery. Stats dont drive the game, the features do.

Comment

great to hear!

word yo

Comment

Originally posted by Dronetek
              Thats if you really care about "rankings" lets face it in many ways a ranking system has taken away some of the fun of BF, its no longer about your side winning, its about how many points did I score, did I have a gopod game and have I got a new unlock yet?

I am looking forward to the mods because they will be more focused on playing to win instead of playing to have a good game.

I am a bf1942 vet, and a long time player of many mods, Im a very good player even though I don't log the rediculous amounts of time other players do and have all the goodies to play with. I will never get all my BF unlocks,...I just don't have the time to put in. With mods that are not rank based the playing field is even and who wins the map is whats more important,.......and I thought thats what war is supposed to be about, winning,......when was the last time a country lost a war and said "Hey we lost, but man at least we fought well?" and who wants to live in that country anyway?

Comment

Too little too late.

They should feature a new mod with link to their review every week in there little annoying advert pop up so everyone playing the game can get exposed to mods.

Comment

ranking mods would be a great step forward in community-DICE relations
                  Hell I'd even like to see DICE commission teams to take on minor projects - how cool would that be. Hell that is the way IO mode should have been done, DICE to set the framework and the mod team to design a product using that model

Comment

Ranked FH2 and POE 2 Servers FTW

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderPimp
                      Too little too late.
                      Agreed. For the past year they have worked really hard to keep mods down in the shadows. Now, when BF2 is entering the end of its life, we suddenly get "MOD SPOTLIGHTS! YAY!".

It's a great idea, but it should've happened way before today.

Comment

I dont see anything there about them RANKING moded servers though. Yeah, the ranking system HAS sucked the life out of the mod community and yes, the game is all about STATS. Unless they develop a new STATS system, me being the cynic that I am, I dont see much good coming out of this.

90% of my clan play to get that next medal, that next unlock or hit thier next rank. They dont play on modded servers. Period. Sad to say but its the truth.

Comment

Support modding by building tools - not a website.

this is just useless PR by DICE.

Comment

Interesting development, having a server for a mod is a step in the right direction, I’m not sure about the need for anyone at EA to “review” a mod though.

If they want to review stuff how about creating a community map pack for ranked servers that’s just the top 5 user created maps, EA gets the final say on which ones go into the map pack and everyone gets to download them for free.

edit: from reading the thread on the Editor site someone posted the same question, he says "Working on it"

If the maps don't end up on ranked servers then they'll never see any play time.

Comment

a ranked map pack would eb good,thought htai should have happned a long time ago,but at least there trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X