BF2 and Dual Core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 and Dual Core?

I'm about to get a new computer and I'm looking at AMD 4400+ X2 or 4800+ X2.

I just want to make sure dual core have no problem running BF2 or other games. I read somewhere here (don't remember which thread) that few people had problem with dual core CPU and something called Afinity??? No idea what Afinity is?

Anyone could clarify that?

Re: BF2 and Dual Core?

I don't think BF2 supports Dual Core

Comment

Originally posted by CannonFodder
      I don't think BF2 supports Dual Core
      I know it doesn't. I'm just asking if BF2 runs without problems even if you have a Dual Core CPU.

Does it run ok, or you have to make modifications to some config stuff to make it running fine?

Comment

I can't really help you there, but I have read some posts saying that you have to like turn off the second core or something.
        You should do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by CannonFodder
          I can't really help you there, but I have read some posts saying that you have to like turn off the second core or something.
          You should do a search.
          Yes, that's what I'm refering too. I did a search and found a couple of posts talking about it, but that is not clear to me. Is it everybody that need to turn off the second core or is it just few people? How do you turn off the second core?

Comment

ive got a x2 3800+ and i have no problems with it..running everything factory assigned..no problems at all...nothing...its just when people start playing with the affinity (affinity assigns what core you want the program to run on) so if u set the affinity of bf2 to core 1 it would only run through core 1..but yea ive had no problems with my dual core processor

Comment

Originally posted by justblazin
              ive got a x2 3800+ and i have no problems with it..running everything factory assigned..no problems at all...nothing...its just when people start playing with the affinity (affinity assigns what core you want the program to run on) so if u set the affinity of bf2 to core 1 it would only run through core 1..but yea ive had no problems with my dual core processor
              It's good to hear that. I'm going to buy a new computer soon (like tomorrow ), I was planning to buy AMD x2 4400+, but then I start to surf the web for potential problems with dual core and see all those people having problem to run games. BF2 (my favorite games) is one of the most problematic. Many Dual core owners having problem ,etc....

I would like to know if the dual core problem is the exception or the norm?

Comment

multiple cores should not be a problem. and bf2 may even run slightly faster. for example core 1 handling os core 2 running game. my next computer will also be a dual core. i may even get an intel dual core which supports ht. that way i can run 4 threads at the same time! or maybe even a dual socket, dsual core ht intel that supports ht. that way i can run upto 8 threads at the same time!!!

Originally posted by BIC
                It's good to hear that. I'm going to buy a new computer soon (like tomorrow ), I was planning to buy AMD x2 4400+, but then I start to surf the web for potential problems with dual core and see all those people having problem to run games. BF2 (my favorite games) is one of the most problematic. Many Dual core owners having problem ,etc....

I would like to know if the dual core problem is the exception or the norm?
                some games and device drivers are just poorly written. and multiple cores bring the bugs out.

Comment

There's some dual core patch stuff out there. The best plan is always set affinity on BF2 to a single core.

Hyperthreading is pointless now that the multicore age has begun. Might as well just wait for quadcore if you plan on running 2 antivirus, 1 encode, and a game at the same time 24/7.

Comment

To answer your question BIC, I did encounter a stuttering problem with both cores of my Opteron 165 enabled, I set the affinity to just one core and never had a problem since...smooth.

To set your affinity, you need to alt-tab out of the game
                    ctrl-alt-dlt to bring up the task manager, right click on bf2.exe and set affinity to one of the cores (it doesnt matter which) If you have any other cpu heavy programs running make sure they run on the core you are not using for BF2.

Dont shy away from the Opterons if you go AMD, I easily overclocked to 2.61ghz on stock voltage and stock cooling. Thats 2 FX55 chips on one CPU that cost me $300 CAD

Comment

Im running Amd 4200 dual core and yes it does use both cores.
                      i can see ithem both running on the display

Comment

I ordered an AMD 4400+ x2. I have a question here.

The 4400+ is 2.2Ghz x2, so if I have to make BF2 running on 1 core only, does it mean it will run only on a 2.2Ghz core? So I will have less performance than with my actual Intel 3.2Ghz?

Is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by BIC
                          I ordered an AMD 4400+ x2. I have a question here.

The 4400+ is 2.2Ghz x2, so if I have to make BF2 running on 1 core only, does it mean it will run only on a 2.2Ghz core? So I will have less performance than with my actual Intel 3.2Ghz?

Is this right?
                          The first part is correct, the second is completely wrong. The x2 at 2.2 is about as fast as a intel p4d (pressler) at about 3.4-3.6ghz (at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. MatDef
                            The first part is correct, the second is completely wrong. The x2 at 2.2 is about as fast as a intel p4d (pressler) at about 3.4-3.6ghz (at least).
                            Ok, but if I have to run BF2 with only 1 core (by setting affinity to 1 core only, it uses half the cpu power), is it faster or slower than my single core Intel Pescot 3.2Ghz?

In other words: is half the power of the AMD 4400+ x2 as fast as my single Prescot Intel 3.2Ghz to run BF2?

I have the impression that by running BF2 on 1 core only, I will loose power compare to my Prescot 3.2Ghz???

Comment

Originally posted by BIC
                              Yes but if I have run BF2 with only 1 core (by setting affinity to 1 core only, it uses half the cpu, so 2.2Ghz only), is it faster or slower than my Intel Pescot 3.2Ghz?
                              It's much faster, dual core just means that it's two cpu's on one die. So when you use one core it's like using a normal amd proc at 2.2ghz.

Originally posted by BIC
                              I have the impression that by running BF2 on 1 core only, I will loose power compare to my Prescot 3.2Ghz???
                              Wrong impression.

Comment

Working...
                              X