Sniping -- tips and tricks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniping -- tips and tricks.

Welp.. kicked again. I guess scoring 80+ points with the M24 is cheating in itself.

Prior to discovering C4 chucking (a few weeks prior to the patch that ended it) and all the time after it was resolved, I've been playing as a Sniper on the urban maps religiously. Playing Sniper all of the time and actually trying to win takes alot of concentration, so I needed to mindlessly throw C4 for a while to get it out of my system Anyhoo, back on topic..

I've noticed that alot of people choose the Sniper class in-game because of a Sniper's status in the real world (see, I'm even capitalizing Sniper :laugh. Beyond that though, it seems that they don't put any thought into the actual role of the Sniper in-game and how to be effective. However, there are those that play the role very well and actually greatly help their team using that class. Heck, I'll regularly knock out a 50, 80 or even 100+ point round in Karkand 16 player any day of the week (with the distant second being around 30-50 points).

I learned alot of tricks from the greats:
    DIE::Revolution420
    Mr.C
    1LT superevilcube
    etc.. (i suck with names, cant remember the rest)

So, I want to dedicate this thread for tips and tricks in playing the Sniper role effectively.

As a disclaimer, yes I'm aware that there are alot of bad Snipers out there and may have given the entire class a bad rep. On the flipside, when it comes to all-infantry roles a great Sniper will stomp a great PKM, AK-101, M16, etc player. Those that have been unlucky enough to face one of the greats will understand

And finally, theories are theories.. this may seem like common knowledge to some of you, though it takes alot more than just reading and understanding. You need alot of practice and all of these things need to become like instinct. It's common to see great snipers regularly using about 50 different tactics and strategies in split second moments. Think of like Karate, where you need to react instantly to a threat -- your mind has to be geared towards these concepts.

So.. let the tips begin.

Always Have Somewhere to Duck
    I commonly see snipers laying in the middle of the street or at the top of a hill. Initially, their problem is that they are prone. Believe it or not, if you practice how to shoot right and get a feel for it, you'll be able to pull of headshots while standing or crouching.

Use the crawl mode as a ducking maneuver wherever you are. If you're running down street level, run along areas where can get quick cover.

When you are looking for a good "spot" to hang out in for a while and pick off enemies, pick a spot that allows you to go into crawl mode and be completely concealed -- for instance, behind a standbag or in a crater -- anything that will allow you to duck and reload quickly.

This must become instinct. When I run down a street and I'm paying attention to the game, I'll move in such a way that if anyone creeps up behind me or pops around a corner, I'll be able to duck first decide how to react and then strike.

When you are stuck in the middle of a street and someone is unloading a clip in your direction, it's usually best to run. However, in times where they are using single shot, using a pistol or if they are an enemy sniper, you will be surprised to realise how great lamp posts are for cover. The trick is to get them to start chasing you around the lamp post and you will occasionally have enough time to drop them with your pistol. I've done it on many occasions an the feeling was quite pleasant

The point is, anywhere you go.. anything you do.. you must be ready to duck and cover in split seconds. That huge squad running around the corner won't stand a chance as long as you can get them into firefight and keep their heads down. Finding cover does just that, since they will wait for you to come back out. If you time your shots well, you'll be able to rip up an entire squad before they can empty a clip.

Snipe + Pistol Combo
    Even though you're a sniper, headshots aren't always the preferred way to take out a target. Your advantage is that you have a scope and a bullet that can severely cripple an enemy with one shot (provided you're not using an SVD.. but this tactic won't be needed if you're using a semi-auto rifle like the SVD as opposed to the bolt action rifle like the M24).

A trick that Mr.C taught me (by kicking my ass) was the Sniper/Pistol combo.

The M24 is presumabley the weakest of the bolt action rifle set, but it can still shave off enough health for you to take someone out with a pistol easily.

All you need to do is get one body shot in on your target. After that you duck (you remembered to have somewhere to duck right?) and pull out our pistol -- then quickly pop back up (the duck and switch should take you about half a second). Then line up your target and unload the pistol. You'll be able to hit them at very long range with the pistol and getting an accurate shot is very easy with some practice.

Normally, it takes one rilfe shot + 2-3 pistol shots and the target drops. It also keeps your fingers moving and keeps your brain from stalling out trying to get that perfect headshot.

Play Smart
    Snipers that hang out on rooftops or in some brush on the other end of the map are useless. There's nothing challenging about laying in the cut and shooting unsuspecting enemies in the back to score your 3 kills for the whole round.

Some of the good snipers like to stay at around medium range but still assault when the time is right. As long as you have good cover (and especially if you have the SVD) you can toe to toe with the bad guys and kill them all.

On the other hand, I like getting into the thick of it. I like the fact that I'm used to quickly thinking on my feet at a moments notice and will commonly outsmart the average opponent by confusing them (ie: running from them around a corner and once they get close to the corner, charging with a knife or pistol).

The thing about sniping is that you need to use your noggin. While all of the medics and assaults are running around with their own priorities, they aren't concentrating on the tactical end of the battle. Instead, the medics are working their way up to the flags and reviving people on the way.. the support guys are layout down trying to rack up kills -- you need to see the general flow of the battle.

You need to engage, but do so in a smart way.. thinking through each move until, again, it becomes instinct and you don't need to think anymore. When you die, make it a habit to plan out your next route. Once you plan about 50 routes, 50 times, they will instantly pop into your head when the situation when they are needed arrives.

Always look for chokepoints. Right before a flag goes neutral, start nading the spawn points so people dont hit you at the last second. Place your claymores in conjested areas and move on. Use the UAV to anticipate where everyone will go and constantly look at the map to understand the flow of the battle.

Right before you get to a cover point, leep there.. dont just run in. How many times were you killed right before you got to cover?

If you're running from someone, throw a grenade in front of you at about a 75 degree angle. By time you run past the grenade and turn the corner, it'll blow right at their feet.

There are times when your shots wont register worth a damn. We've all had it. Best thing to do in this case is move on to another server -- regardless of what your ping is on this one.

Go after the best players. If you see someone tearing up a server, they're mostly likely good and are paying attention the game. They will notice someone who is consecutively killing them. If you can defeat the best player, your team will be free to move on and crus the enemy while you sit back and pick off the rest of the targets.

If a vehicle is taking a flag and there is nothing you can do, best thing to do is to wait until the vehicle takes the flag and cap it. Dont go anywhere else and dont try to sneak around the vehicle's wheels hoping you wont be noticed. Just wait until it leaves and take the flag... disrupt their flow.

If using an SVD, learn how to Duck+ComeUp+Shoot+Duck+ComeUp+Shoot in a very fast motion. Since it's a semi-auto rifle you have the luxury of missing shots. Popping up and down the right way will never get you killed by bullets.. ever.

Always try to get distance between you and the enemy. If you're turning a corner, dont hug the wall. Instead, run around the corner so that if an anemy pops up you'll atleast stand a chance (the great snipers can pull off close range shots easy).

--

Anyway, it's getting late so 2 is enough for now. I'll add more if you guys add more. There are some secrets I'll never give away, but we all have our secrets tactics. If you're a great sniper, by all means, contribute to the thread and help restore the Sniper's good name in BF2

Re: Sniping -- tips and tricks.

Very nice, maybe post it in here aswell?

Comment

Just shows how one of many aspects of this game can be turned into art. Good read.

Comment

Really nice guide....good work fella.

Comment

http://media.putfile.com/ptgsniper

Comment

Originally posted by [PTG]jonny*5
            umm k?

Comment

umm k?

i rememberd i had a video of me sniping thought it may be usefull in this thread to see how i got some of my shots off

k specter

Comment

nice guide. I have found if a person is outgunning you in the city streets a good tactic is to run around a corner and plant a claymore, then just leave the area, if the person is stupid they will run around the corner right into a claymore.

Comment

Ok Guide especially for the aspiring sniper.

One point I would like to add, which is one of my trade secrets tbh is this. Use the Pistol + Rifle combo, not the other way around.
                  So put some Pistol-rounds in a target (6 out of 10 times they prone, yes I counted that) and finish them of with the Rifle. If you do it like that they wont get the sweats because they still dont know that a sniper has his scope on him. Instead they will think they got hit from up close (the bug with the sounds pre-1.21 helped also) by light enemy fire. Its all about make believe

Good luck ya all

Comment

Good guide, I go Sniper alot even before the L96A1, but now theres alot more Snipers, and I don't really like Sniping when theres alot of Snipers on my team.

Comment

I use the M95 over all other rifles.

Generally, if you watched me play, everytime I fire if an enemy is onto me, I instantly switch to pistol the moment I fire and fire off a few pistol shots. An M95 shot will do 90% damage on non-headshots...so just 1 or 2 shots of the pistol will finish them off.

Comment

Any tips for sniper vs. sniper? What if you're the one being hunted for by another sniper?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecow003
                          Any tips for sniper vs. sniper? What if you're the one being hunted for by another sniper?
                          well genrally when i spot a sniper if it looks like he got his aim on you get cover fast,

then i try and go around to find a differnt angle to aim at him from,

wait for a few seconds before you fire and go for the headshot,if im very close i would use the pistol again aiming for the head.

you cant beat a good sniper vs sniper battle,

normaly i try to keep a eye out for the snipers,or help me team if they spot one,but once ive killed the enemy sniper i move about 50 yards from where i was and quite often the sniper will set them self up aiming at my previous location,and i get them again.

the trick is to spot them before they spot you,also using the spot key helps you track there movment.

a few snipers get cover but pop back out after a few seconds to have another go ,patience is the key,dont rush your'e shot of.

saying that ive had my fare share of "where the feck did that come from" but i just compliment the good shot with a quick "GS"

you cant get them all,

p.s thats a great guide (1st post)i use most of the tips there myself but not the nad one,i will give that one a try later

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecow003
                            This is one of the most exciting engagements you can partake in. The entire round will blur out at some point since you guys will be so focused on killing one another.

It is, however, much harder.

In order to regularly defeat another sniper that is hunting you, you need to first assess how good they are. If they aren't anywhere near your level of skill, you can 'play with them'. I like creeping up back them with a knife, yelling radio messages until they realize someone is right behind them, and stabbing them just as they see my face (may even through in some teabag action for giggles).

Bad snipers have a habit of doing alot of things wrong, like sitting in one play in crawl mode or going to the obvious spots on the map. In fact, the bad snipers are usually too airheaded to even have dual with you.

Now, if you encouter a good sniper.. things get really hard and, at times, very very frustrating. Earlier last night I encountered another great sniper (i think his name was kewlg). Boy, did he rip me up. I scored higher than him, but when it came to 1 on 1 encounters he sacked me. By the end, I got used to his tactics, adapted, and eventually defeated him plenty of times.

So to make a long story short, if you want to defeat another sniper, you're basically on your own. It's his skills against your skills. If he has more tricks in his bag, he will most likely defeat you. Luckily for you, you wont run into alot of the great snipers -- but if you do -- learn how they do things and try to immitate (which will eventually form your own style).

Comment

Last night on Warlord there was a sniper that picked me off 3 times in 3 different spots and I couldn't find him. Finally I found a more secluded spot on the parking ramp of the British home base and spotted him aiming at the construction site. I saw him in one spot and then he moved to another so I took my time watching him. I saw him crawl up to a spot to aim in on my teammates so I lined him up and took him out. That's always a good feeling. It's also a good feeling when you know there is someone else who knows where you are and they want to take you out, but you spot them first and kill them. I love getting the better of other people.

Comment

Working...
                              X