RAM 1gig to 3gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM 1gig to 3gig

Just put in 2 gig of ram for a total of 3 gigs, and I don't see that much difference.

The game appears to load 15 to 20 seconds faster but most of the delay is on the account server logon and the verify client data page. Anyone have any tweaks to speed it up?

My SPECS:
    AMD64 3200+
    MSI KN8 NEO4
    SATA150 7200rpm
    6800gt card
    3 gigs of CAS2 PC3200 Duel Channel
    (4100 mb/sec - SANDRA 2005 / 5129 mb/sec Everest)
    )

Re: RAM 1gig to 3gig

Buy a super computer located at ea's hq
    I d guess any extra speed would come from card or cpu upgrade.

Comment

YOu can't have 3gigs in dual channel. Not to mention that anything over 2 gigs is pointless.

But to answer your question there aren't may tweaks other than a faster CPU, faster HD, and make sure you drive is defragged.

Comment

What are you trying to speed up? the game loading or connecting to account server/verifying client data or your actual framerate in game.

Comment

why cant you have 3 gigs? 2 slots with 512's and 2 with 1 gig sticks = 3 gigs

Comment

Originally posted by ulm4lyf
            why cant you have 3 gigs? 2 slots with 512's and 2 with 1 gig sticks = 3 gigs
            Good point, I didn't think of that for some reason.

Comment

i think that is what i will do soon. right now i have 2 256's and 2 512's. gonna get rid of the 256's and replace with 2x1 gig sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild_Wokman
                3 gigs of CAS2 PC3200 Duel Channel (4100 mb/sec)
                That benchmark sucks. Take out the original Gig, and run it again with the 2 Gb you just bought. The extra gig is actually slowing the rig down, and you'll never see it get used. You should be close to 6000mb/sec

Comment

3gb is pointless with current games on windows xp

Comment

Well, for starters only a few games actually benefit from having 2 gigs, and they don't quite use all of it. So, what is the extra gig for then? Nothing...

No program uses close to 2 gigs either. Most don't even use 1.

Lastly and most importantly, by using all 4 slots with your AMD64 you are overloading the memory controller. I would not be surprised if you are now running pc2700(333mhz) with your ram.
                    Actually, your benchmark you display at the bottom of your sig confirms this, that bandwidth is horrible compared to what you should be getting. I concur with goof, you should be around 6k.

Ditch the two 512's and keep the two 1024's.

Comment

PC2700 speed, and 2T command rate instead of 1T, most likely. Try running 3DMark 2005, then change the RAM, then we can check the timings out with the new setup.

Comment

Phew. Relief.

I saw the title of the thread and was horrified, because I just upgraded from 512 to 1.5 gigs.

Comment

I upgraded from four crappy sticks of 512 RAM, (Giving me a total of 1.5gb) To Two Mushkin 1GB 2-3-3-5, AND 1GB of Crappy 512 RAM.

I can say that the load up times are pretty good, Now I can raise all of the settings to high (AA*3) & Res - 1280*1024. No lag / stuttering. Noticiable change from playing with medium settings without upgraded RAM.

Comment

Are you sure that my setup should be at 6000 mb/sec? Prior to adding in the 2gigs, I benched it and it was about 4600mb/sec

I ran memtest and It is at 400mhz and is duel channel.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                              YOu can't have 3gigs in dual channel. Not to mention that anything over 2 gigs is pointless.

Are you certain about that im considering adding another 2 gigs currently i have 2 sticks of 512Mb in two matched slots and have 2 matched slots spare. So i was considering getting this

Find compatible DRAM memory and SSD upgrades for your PC or Laptop with our Crucial Advisor tool or Crucial System Scanner, with FREE US delivery!

That would deffinatly give me 3 gigs of dual channel memory i know windows dosnt realy recognise 4 gigs properly thats why im only going to add the other 2 gigs. BTW im not just adding this for the game (but thats an added bonus) i do a hell of alot of stuff with my pc.

Comment

Working...
                              X