• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Image Tutorial

How To: Make Disk Images

Table of Contents:
    - 1.0 Introduction
    - 2.0 Why would you want to make a mini-image?
    - 3.0 Downloading
    - 4.0 Producing the images
    - 5.0 Running the images
    - 6.0 Copyright Information
    - 7.0 Troubleshooting
    - 8.0 The End

1.0 Introduction
    Have you ever hated putting in ‘Disk One’ every time you wanted to play a game. I know I did with Battlefield 2. Upon reviewing the makeup of the Battlefield 2 disk I realized that it had a table of contents. This basically tells the computer were everything is. Now the table of contents is found at the beginning or very close to the beginning of the disk. Thus allowing you to make a ‘mini-image’ which is around 3-9 megabytes, instead of a full disk image which can be upwards of 650 megabytes. Mini-images are fairly easy to make and with this tutorial as your guide you will be playing your favorite games without the disk in about 5 minutes or less.

2.0 Why would you want to make a mini-image?

The benefits of not using the disk, far out way spending 5 minutes of your time to make them. Using a mini-image will:

-Speed up how fast the game will load. Putting in the CD means that the computer must read the CD in your CD drive which can be a slow process for both people with fast and slow drives. Your hard drive which is where the mini-image you will be creating lies, can be accessed much faster therefore speeding up load time.

-If you lose, damage, scratch, or anything else that can happen to a disk you don’t have to worry about it. You computer will no longer need disk one so you can safely store it where it will not get damaged.

3.0 Downloading

There are a few applications you will need to make your mini-image. The following are the needed items:

-Any version of Alcohol:This will be the product that makes the images. Alcohol is not a freeware application. If I was you just get the Alcohol 120% trial. More features and options that you might want to check out buy they will both get the job done.

-DAEMON Tools: This is a freeware program that allows you to run the mini-image. You can run the images off of Alcohol but if you have the trial you can only run it for 30 days, and Alcohol uses more system recourses. So the smarter way to go is download this freeware and run it from DAEMON.

Note: The newer versions of DAEMON (Version 4) have extra applications on them. These can easily be removed from the add/remove control panel. I strongly advidse you to use Version 4 due to the bug fixes.

4.0 Producing the images

This is a moderately tough part.
    1. Put your Disk One into your CD drive and open up whatever version of alcohol you downloaded
    2. Once in Alcohol go to the ‘Image-making wizard’ Follow the steps they are self explanatory.
    3. It should start reading the disk and making an image of it.
    4. IMPORTANT STEP – After about 2-3 errors stop the scan. It will then ask you if you want to delete the uncompleted image files, click "No"
    5. In the wizard you set a place where the image was saved to. Open up explorer and find your files. There should be 2 files one with a suffix .mds and one with a suffix .mdf, both are needed. If you like the spot where these are saved than leave them if not. Make another folder and move them to wherever you like. It’s a good idea to get them where you want before you run the image so you don’t run into problems down the road.
    You are done producing the image! You are through the hardest part, you will soon be playing your favorite games without disk one!

5.0 Running the images
    With DAEMON Tools installed on your machine Running or ‘Mounting’ the image take a matter of seconds.
    1. If you haven’t already, make sure DAEMON tools if running. You will no this when there is an icon in your taskbar that is red and when hovering above it says DAEMON tools.
    2. Right Click on this and go into Virtual CD/DVD Drive emulation. Then go down to set the number of drives. If you plan on doing this one more than one CD change it so it fits your needs.
    3. Now in Virtual CD/DVD Drive emulation go to your Drive (Mine was called Drive G) and go to ‘Mount-Image’ Navigate to were you saved your mini-images and then double click on the one that shows up. There should only be one of your 2 files being shown (the one with a suffix of .mds)
    Once it is mounted correctly a pop-up should appear with the contents of Disk-One. You are now done!

6.0 Copyright information
    This is a little topic that is very important. Using this tutorial, you can take your friends disk and make a copy of it. That is illegal. This tutorial is only for people who have purchased their copy of whatever game they want to make a mini-image of. So, do not use this tutorial if you do not own a copy of whatever game your making a mini-image of.

Alcohol 120% and Alcohol 52% are registered trademarks of Alcohol-Soft (http://www.alcohol-soft.com/).

DAEMON Tools is a registered trademark of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php)

7.0 Troubleshooting

Having trouble look here.

It doesn’t work! What did I do wrong?

There are many problems that could have gone wrong. The most common are:
    1. You stopped the image making process to soon
    2. You are trying to make a mini-image of a disk that needs a special emulation (Check here for all the games and what emulation they require)
    3. You tried to make a mini-image of a DVD
    There are countless other things that could have also gone wrong, if you need any extra help I’m always available through AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, E-Mail, and PM.

8.0 The End - Congratulations!

Congratulations! Hopefully you have gotten your mini-image to work and your now playing your game without the disk one. I hope this has been helpful to you and look for more of my tutorials soon to come.

This tutorial was made by Greg Rosen, This may not be copied or posted on another site with out my permission and/or consent. This tutorial is posted in GamerNode and TotalBF2

© Greg Rosen

Re: Mini-Image Tutorial

It's already been done. I believe you can find two or three of these if you searched the forums,

~Salad

Comment

Yes but those have fallen deep within the forums and this one is clear and well written Also this will stop the countless threads of "How do I run BF2 without disk 1?"

~Ownage

Comment

You could just download it off GameCopyWorld.com

Comment

This is also true however some of them are bigger than they could be and not all games are on there. Plus it's very satisfying when you do it by yourself.

~Ownage

Comment

Um, this won't produce a mini-image, this will produce a full size one about 700 mb or more (and probably won't work for DVD users)

Just dl the mini-image of GameCopy World, which has a CD Mini-Image, and a DVD Mini-Image.

Comment

Originally posted by =DPK=Decoy
              You could just download it off GameCopyWorld.com
              You beat me to it, Damn lol.

Comment

Originally posted by simio1337
                You beat me to it, Damn lol.
                Who is stopping you from saying it again.

Comment

It won't make a full copy unless you let it. If you set the image speed to very slow, then after 10mb or so.. Sometimes it needs up to 30mb, then hit cancel and save what you already did. Then mount the image and it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by OWNAGE TIME

2.0 Why would you want to make a mini-image?

.................no longer need disk one so you can safely store it where it will not get damaged.
                    CORRECTION : "so you can safely return it to the store where it wont get damaged".

Comment

Originally posted by Colinloves
                      CORRECTION : "so you can safely return it to the store where it wont get damaged".

good luck returning an open game... not saying it cant be done, but most places are hardcore bitches about it for this very reason....

Comment

Originally posted by SupaFly_
                        good luck returning an open game... not saying it cant be done, but most places are hardcore bitches about it for this very reason....
                        Because idiots like him go around on public forums and tell people to do it..

Would have had Windows XP for free..

Comment

You were ment to laugh at my comment, not go out and do it.

Comment

I can't make an image w/ alchola, the cd somehow is protected, everytime I want to make an image, it has so much error in it that I have to cancel it....

Comment

That is normal, follow the guide and try it again.

~Ownage

Comment

Working...
                              X