Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What will 2 gigs of RAM get you?

Originally posted by motorboatJones
    I have a 200GB WD Sata drive and an Asus A8V Deluxe with K8T800 chipset. If you can tell me how to set it up for stiped RAID, I would appreciate it.
    Get your hands on another 200GB SATA HDD and all instructions should be on the driver CD for your MoBo along with the SATA drivers you'll need when installing XP . Any probs , give me a shout.

Comment

What will 2GB get you? Well I am not sure if I am see any real performance improvement but the maps load really fast. I am usually one of the first to appear on a map in the first round and my PC is no ninja...

Comment

Whoever is saying that 2gb is "too expensive", consider this: I've just bought some nice 2x1gb kit that does 290HTT for $290 cdn. A friend of mine bought 2x1gb of value ram for $170 cdn.

A year ago I paid $200 usd for 2x512 TCCD sticks

Comment

Went from 1GB to 2GB and I can say that I get far less gameplay lag now when the **** really starts to hit the fan. Also threw in a second 7800GT for SLi and that helped tremendously aswell. Now all I need is an X2!

Comment

Originally posted by dR-Jester
            Went from 1GB to 2GB and I can say that I get far less gameplay lag now when the **** really starts to hit the fan. Also threw in a second 7800GT for SLi and that helped tremendously aswell. Now all I need is an X2!

I got to know man... How much is your system worth???

Comment

Originally posted by CCCP
              Whoever is saying that 2gb is "too expensive", consider this: I've just bought some nice 2x1gb kit that does 290HTT for $290 cdn. A friend of mine bought 2x1gb of value ram for $170 cdn.

A year ago I paid $200 usd for 2x512 TCCD sticks
              2gb is 'too expensive' because only the only application that requires soo much memory is bf2...
              What else requires 2gb?

Comment

Originally posted by alwo
                2gb is 'too expensive' because only the only application that requires soo much memory is bf2...
                What else requires 2gb?

For now....

lol

Just wait a couple months....something will

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                  Actually I have a PC built by myself.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
                  ATi Radeon X800 Pro
                  1024mb RAM
                  200gb WD HD
                  Dual boot: 2000 Pro/XP Pro

Ive built mine, and many other peoples computers. I know precisely how to do it, how to maintain them, and how to NOT void any warranty/RMA possibilities because burn-in failures happen TOO often to throw an RMA out the window.

I've got several certifications in the industry, I'm about to graduate with an Associates in Networking and High Performance Computing, and I'll be continuing that on to a bachelors (maybe masters as well).

my 3 professors (90 years experience in the industry between the 3) would certainly concur with me that

1. Overclocking a PC for a person who wont know what to do with it if the situation goes bad, is a bad idea.
                  2. Overclocking at all, is worthless, because of the warranty/RMA ramifications.
                  3. Any person thats dealt with computers in real life, and not fantasty world of forums and websites, knows that benchmarks are often very wrong and do not replicate real life action very well.

Believe whatever you want to beleive, overclocking is just a fanboy trend from the forums such as Guru3D (which is a great forum, btw), but too many fanboy trends go on.

You have probably had luck with OC'ing for now, but its just about guaranteed it will bite you in the ass in the future.
                  So if OC'ing is soooooooooooo bad and not supported by manufactures then why does ATi's own software give you the options of OCing your card??????????? I suppose they dont know WTF they are doing either....

As for the ram and 2 gigs....I heard Windows Vista is going to need it...I mean they have a bsic requirment for 512 and highly recomend 1 gig....Things are going to use more and more memory as tiem goes on...plus it is much better to have your computer use memory then your page file...the latter is speak purely on a performance stand point....

Comment

I liked this thread a lot more when people were talking about RAM and BF2 performance.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nsterm@sh
                      I liked this thread a lot more when people were talking about RAM and BF2 performance.
                      I was talking about ram in the second half of my post...

As for RAM in BF2 sure you can get away with a gig but if you wnat to do some serious multitasking like having Fraps, Xfire, TS or Vent, running while on a full 64 player server you are def going to want 2 gigs of ram...

The best fixes I have heard for load times is to put BF2 on a HDD that spins at 10k rpm or more (imagine how fast it would load on u320 15k rpm SCSIs)...Another good tip would be to set your page file to a separate physical HDD then your OS and BF2...also set your page file so that windows will not dynamically change its size....Basically you can get by with 1 GIG but I believe the consensus of the community, devs, and computer/hardware experts is that 2 gigs is not only recommended for BF2 but for computers in general...

Comment

Im going to get 2GB soon, but what type of RAM will show a huge difference in the gameplay, I don't want to spend to much on RAM as I already bought some good speakers and looking at other things, so what really performs best at a good enough price?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDonkey
                          So if OC'ing is soooooooooooo bad and not supported by manufactures then why does ATi's own software give you the options of OCing your card??????????? I suppose they dont know WTF they are doing either....

Actually, I guess they dont.

My X800 Pro gets terrible artifacts from using the ATI Overdrive. And a LOT of ATI cards (especially the X8xx series) suffer from heat issues already.

GPUs can be successfully overclocked, but not very often with ATIs **** stock coolers.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                            Actually, I guess they dont.

My X800 Pro gets terrible artifacts from using the ATI Overdrive. And a LOT of ATI cards (especially the X8xx series) suffer from heat issues already.

GPUs can be successfully overclocked, but not very often with ATIs **** stock coolers.
                            Most Pro series of cards are xt's that couldn't make the cut or had pipelines fail. The heat issues are caused from running an insane amount of info through the pipes and the processor itself. That's when you know the processor is at the end of it's architechture cycle, nothing more they can do except change chips. An aftermarket cooler does the trick. It seems that most fans and heatsinks provided with high end cards are very underpowered and the coverage is crap.

Comment

To CaptJordus

I have a San Diego 3700+ OC to FX-57 @ 42*C (screenshot @ FX-59)

$325 cpu OC'd past FX-57 ($1200) level

Had a unlocked Barton core 2500+ that OC from 1.837Ghz to 2.92Ghz

I use Massive Thermaltake Cooling

Screenshots, & benchmarks on my personal website to prove it

http://home.comcast.net/~ocgw (personal website)

http://home.comcast.net/~ocgw2/wsb/h...D-2295228.html (screenie of San Diego 3700+ @ 2.89Ghz)

I have been Hot Rodn' PC's for 5 years, for myself, family, & friends, & haven't burned a single component out yet

btw, I am a Experimental Prototype Engineer @ GM raymond.bellamy@gm.com

1 should keep 1's mouth shut, & be thought a fool, rather than open 1's mouth, & remove all doubt

ps. My 6800GT runs @ 6800 Ultra Extreme (20% OC)

peace

Comment

Hey Butcher you got some nice stuff goin on there. By the way, welcome to the forums!

Comment

Working...
                                X