Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What will 2 gigs of RAM get you?

Originally posted by <<R2>>Capt.HKS
    The difference between 1.5gig and 2gig is minimal. 1.5gig is definitely enough to get all these performance benefits.
    thanks for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrylee1970
      the system im finishing up today should work GREAT

Amd 4400+ dual core
      2 gig kingston ram (dual inline)
      2 raided 7700rpm hdd's
      gforce 6600 pcie w/256meg
      on a 1meg dsl down
      Where did you find a 7700 RPM HDD?:laugh:

Comment

Whatever game you play, 2GB is worth it just for the sake of bring able to Alt+Tab between game and web browser or whatever else you're doing without any pauses, or being able to quit a game and go right into a usable desktop.

I've had 2GB for cloase to a year now and will never go back to 1GB. I rather get a slower CPU if money is problem.

Comment

Originally posted by j-train
          Where did you find a 7700 RPM HDD?:laugh:

typo sorry 7200

Comment

I've only got 512MB RAM on my PC, so looking to upgrade to 2 gigs. How do I find out what RAM is compatable with my motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by {RF}TFS
              I found that I noticed a bigger increase in performance overall on my PC when I started using striped RAID than when I installed an extra GB of memory so if your MoBo supports it , it would probably give your PC a bbost overall as opposed to just for the game and would cost just a little bit more for the 2 HDD or 1 if you already have a SATA drive.
              I have a 200GB WD Sata drive and an Asus A8V Deluxe with K8T800 chipset. If you can tell me how to set it up for stiped RAID, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by SubZeroCK
                I've only got 512MB RAM on my PC, so looking to upgrade to 2 gigs. How do I find out what RAM is compatable with my motherboard?
                Post your specs (esp. motherboard/cpu) and some helpful soul (perhaps me) will probably find it for you.

Comment

512 MB to 1 gig => Huge difference
                  1 gig to 2 gigs => Not as much. Helps loading time though

As for what will 2 gigs of RAM get you? 1337 skills...

Comment

2 Gb. No swap file. Smooth.

Comment

yeah im definatley gonna double up my 1gb to 2gb i know for a fact it will make a big difference

Comment

HI

Without running benches, I can say without question, going from 1 to 2 gigs made a big difference.

Prior to adding the extra gig, I was getting lots of screen artifacts that I had attributed to video drivers (black squares, screen locks, et) and other intermittent performance issues..

Overall, I have no trouble w/ the game at this point.

If there is a Fry's store in your area, get the RAM, try it out.
                        If you dont like take it back. they have a 2 week return policy and no restocking fee.

Comment

hey so im in the UK is there any well known shops near oxfordshire that would upgrade my laptop to 2 gigs RAM? And roughly how much would this extra 1 gig cost cos i already have 1 gig? Thanks

Comment

Its all lies, 128MB sdram is fine. CheckSando must work for a memory company.

congrats on your 2 gig. I need to do the same. Thanks for posting your results.

Comment

let me stress also that you use good high performance ram like corsair's xms pro , then overclock it and its even better. I have 2 pc's 1 with 1 gig of value ram the other with 2 gig of corsairs xms pro and i ocled it , the difference when playing this game is like day and night... this is the 1st game Ive played were you really need 2 gigs of ram to play it smoothly!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap`N Hagen
                                Its all lies, 128MB sdram is fine. CheckSando must work for a memory company.

congrats on your 2 gig. I need to do the same. Thanks for posting your results.

Oh, ya got me.

It really does help with my evenings playing BF2. From loading....to being able to switch back and forth to my desktop for any reason, without being killed for standing there for 10 min.

Thanks for the kudos.

~Check 'memory hog' Sando

Comment

Working...
                                X