Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What will 2 gigs of RAM get you?

LOL CaptJordus

I could try to prove to you that your wrong with links, testimonials, and pictures of my current assortment of overclocked athlons dating back to my first Tbird(which are all still running, air cooled no less) but whats the point, you would still argue.
    Your ignorance speaks volumes.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53707

Comment

I dont care how many benchmakrs you post or how long your ancient thunderbird has been running. There are hardware failures, they exist. Even if the OC'ing doesnt cause it, you WILL be footing the cost of a new peice of hardware when it messes up. And it IS inevitable, at some point in your lives you will see it.

I look at things for a business standpoint, and voiding a warranty/RMA in a business owned PC would be retarded, and cost you your job.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
        I look at things for a business standpoint, and voiding a warranty/RMA in a business owned PC would be retarded, and cost you your job.
        Now overclocking is only retarded "from a business standpoint"? You said it was retarded in any case, which is what got the ball rolling:

Overclocking is not only stupid, its also useless.

Gains seen from overclocking are usually nil compared to ones seen with a a peice of hardware designed for that speed. For instance....a 3.0ghz P4 will nearly ALWAYS outperform a 2.8 OC to 3.0.

Overclocking shortens hardware life, ruins warranty's and any ability to RMA ANYthing, and creates system instability 90% of the time (and anyone who doesnt see it is overclocking so little that they are not gaining anything).

For anyone but a retarded nerd boy, overclocking is worthLESS.

Comment

I dont care how many benchmakrs you post or how long your ancient thunderbird has been running. There are hardware failures, they exist. Even if the OC'ing doesnt cause it, you WILL be footing the cost of a new peice of hardware when it messes up. And it IS inevitable, at some point in your lives you will see it.

Tell that to companies such as alienware, or voodoo, Im fairly sure their profit margins are just fine. You probably own a Dell and work at futureshop.
          In which case, not only can you not overclock as the mobos dont have the options, but yes your hardware would fail. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap`N Hagen
            Tell that to companies such as alienware, or voodoo, Im fairly sure their profit margins are just fine. You probably own a Dell and work at futureshop.
            In which case, not only can you not overclock as the mobos dont have the options, but yes your hardware would fail. You get what you pay for.

Actually I have a PC built by myself.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
            ATi Radeon X800 Pro
            1024mb RAM
            200gb WD HD
            Dual boot: 2000 Pro/XP Pro

Ive built mine, and many other peoples computers. I know precisely how to do it, how to maintain them, and how to NOT void any warranty/RMA possibilities because burn-in failures happen TOO often to throw an RMA out the window.

I've got several certifications in the industry, I'm about to graduate with an Associates in Networking and High Performance Computing, and I'll be continuing that on to a bachelors (maybe masters as well).

my 3 professors (90 years experience in the industry between the 3) would certainly concur with me that

1. Overclocking a PC for a person who wont know what to do with it if the situation goes bad, is a bad idea.
            2. Overclocking at all, is worthless, because of the warranty/RMA ramifications.
            3. Any person thats dealt with computers in real life, and not fantasty world of forums and websites, knows that benchmarks are often very wrong and do not replicate real life action very well.

Believe whatever you want to beleive, overclocking is just a fanboy trend from the forums such as Guru3D (which is a great forum, btw), but too many fanboy trends go on.

You have probably had luck with OC'ing for now, but its just about guaranteed it will bite you in the ass in the future.

Comment

An empty wallet.

Comment

Actually I have a PC built by myself.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
                ATi Radeon X800 Pro
                1024mb RAM
                200gb WD HD
                Dual boot: 2000 Pro/XP Pro

Ive built mine, and many other peoples computers. I know precisely how to do it, how to maintain them, and how to NOT void any warranty/RMA possibilities because burn-in failures happen TOO often to throw an RMA out the window.

I've got several certifications in the industry, I'm about to graduate with an Associates in Networking and High Performance Computing, and I'll be continuing that on to a bachelors (maybe masters as well).

my 3 professors (90 years experience in the industry between the 3) would certainly concur with me that

1. Overclocking a PC for a person who wont know what to do with it if the situation goes bad, is a bad idea.
                2. Overclocking at all, is worthless, because of the warranty/RMA ramifications.
                3. Any person thats dealt with computers in real life, and not fantasty world of forums and websites, knows that benchmarks are often very wrong and do not replicate real life action very well.

Believe whatever you want to beleive, overclocking is just a fanboy trend from the forums such as Guru3D (which is a great forum, btw), but too many fanboy trends go on.

You have probably had luck with OC'ing for now, but its just about guaranteed it will bite you in the ass in the future.
                All that education, and you still don't realize that a processor will be extinct before it burns out from OC'ing. Have you ever tried it? Do you know how many warranty's are voided just by people opening their case? Manufacturer's don't give a crap about overclocking. Do you really think someone sits down to look at your failed piece of hardware to catch you overclocking? LOL Yeah OK. Idiots shouldn't OC, but for the 70% of people who want to take the time to do it right, you can see a huge performance increase. Why do you give a crap anyway?

Comment

I guess it's not uncommon for an impressionable youngster to fall into the trap, that whatever he hears within the curriculum at college is God's word on the subject. You might want to wait until you actually have a bit of practical experience in a field before you go telling everyone in the free world that overclockers are the Anti-Christ, though.

http://forums.guru3d.com/
                  http://forums.pcper.com/
                  http://www.hardforum.com/
                  http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

300,000 Members

1 Million Years of Experience, at least!

I'm sure the majority of members of those forums, (including degreed professionals from every computer field) would disagree with you.

Right, so they should frequent overclocking forums so they may find expert advise and support from highly experienced people.

It's simple economy, and that statement is utterly, and completely false.

Forums aren't a "fantasy world." Real computers get built, real problems get solved, and real learning and teaching take place there.

Some people who frequent (and moderate) the forums you deride are engineers with 20-30 years of experience, IT pros, etc. I hardly think rolling them all up into the classification of "Forum Fags" is fair, or levelheaded. Apparently it's you're opinion that the only worthwhile education is a college education. How sad for you.... Your immaturity and lack of communication skills is about average for a Sophomore in college, though, so don't feel too bad about it.

You can expect this trend to continue for some time, while you get laughed at.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrylee1970
                    the system im finishing up today should work GREAT

Amd 4400+ dual core
                    2 gig kingston ram (dual inline)
                    2 raided 7700rpm hdd's
                    gforce 6600 pcie w/256meg
                    on a 1meg dsl down
                    lol 1mb dsl down.

I remember when that was the fastest connection you could possibly get! I'm on 24mb at home, and best of all work pays for it

Comment

The results show a dramatic increase in loading times, etc with just 1 gig more of RAM but I'm not gonna fork out $180AUD for 1gig RAM just for bf2...
                      Only a game like bf2 would require 2gig of ram... I would rather spend my money on something else

EDIT... I already have 1 gig ram

Comment

Im glad you summed up your reply with 4 consecutive words.

Overclocking is a waste of time. Either spend the LITTLE BIT of extra money on the better hardware, or leave what you have alone. There is no point in ruining it so you can be 1337!!!!11

Good for the guy who benched.

He voided the warranty/RMA on a brand new chip. He beat out a stock chip just barely with a product that will now last 1/2 the lifetime of the stock chip. Oh but he saved money on the 3800....wait noe he didnt, cause the dumbass states write in the article that he FINANCED the chip.

Oh, he paid more for a ****tier product than a stock chip.

Doesnt matter since he is 1337ZOR NOW!!!1

I hate discussing things with forum fags who get their information from the weirdest corners of the internet.

I dont know why people get so hyped up over something that shortens their products life and essentially ruins it. But then again....tons of people in this world smoke/do drugs as well. So i guess its to be expected.
                        :laugh: I won't even justify your post by tearing it apart. However, I will say that I've been running my 2.4 @ over 3GHz for 3 years straight. I even ran it @ 3.2GHz for almost a year while water-cooled. I've since gone back air cooled and running 24/7 @ 3.0GHz (working on year 4).
                        Manufacturers know that people are getting smart about OC-ing and they realize that their products can handle it, which is why there are people like Asus that make mobo's designed for overclocking. Not to mention graphic card manufacturers that have lifetime warranties, no questions asked. There's just too much research to point out that goes against your unfounded opinion.

Heat kills components more then anything. If you keep it cool, you keep it running. This is why people have 3.0GHz chips running 4.0GHz all day.

All I know is that it works for me in benchmarks and overall performance-- but I must be one in a million.

*edit*

Well, I'm all caught up on this thread and I see that everyone said everything I wanted to say. I see a little... never mind. I don't want to stoke the flames. LOL

Comment

I've been overclocking for about five years now, and I've never burned up a component due to overclocking. In fact the only video card I didn't overclock is the one that doesn't work anymore (gave it to a friend and it dies soon after). My 9700 pro I had since right after BF1942 is still going strong and overclocked in my brother in law's PC. People that overclock are the people that want to get the most for their money. I wouldn't know how companies handle warranties when it comes to overclocking because I've never had to RMA a product due to it being overclocked.

Comment

Oh well.

A few months ago i figured up a Dell system that would match mine and it would cost over 2x as much.

With that figured in, I feel like im already getting my moneys worth when i run stuff stock.

With that said, when i build a new PC here this year, i might take this old one and play with it on some OC'ing since i wont need it anymore.

Although i hear the clawhammer was crap to OC with.

Comment

Yes it was. I only got about 2650mhz on a 2.4GHz FX53 claw. Then I got a 2.6Ghz FX55 Claw, and could barely make 2.8Ghz stable. With that same cooler I got my 2.2Ghz 3700+ SD core up to 2.8ghz, and my 2Ghz dual core Opty up to 2.8Ghz stable.

The Claws were definetly reaching the ceiling of the 13 micron core speed on air. If you get 400mhz on a Claw you will be lucky.

Comment

Oh well.

A few months ago i figured up a Dell system that would match mine and it would cost over 2x as much.

With that figured in, I feel like im already getting my moneys worth when i run stuff stock.

With that said, when i build a new PC here this year, i might take this old one and play with it on some OC'ing since i wont need it anymore.

Actually the nice thing about the claw is it stays relatively cool. I have the same set up as you besides an x850 and two raptor raid arrays.
                                My 3400+ is running @3800 speeds with no problems, for almost a year now. Temps are 33/28 and hit around 40/36 during bf2 with I might add my x850 ocd to PE speeds. Ill admit that after a couple mos Ill have to clean the system and reapply arctic silver to the core to keep it stable.

To bring the original posters thread back online, I really need a second gig of RAM.

PS If your profs knew anything about silicone fab, they would understand why and how overclocking works.

Comment

Working...
                                X