What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads

Downloading games is the way of the future. With downloading there are no opening hours, so whether its 1pm or 1am you know in just a few hours you could purchase and download a new game whithout having to move. I like where we are going, lets kill CD's and DVD's!

Comment

I havent read the whole thread, my apologies if this is answered already.

What format do these downloads come in ? Image file, exe., etc ?

Comment

Installshield I think?

Comment

yeah and u let em get lazier so they dont even have to buy discs then eventually there giving u a beta product because ur a suck hole!stand up say no!
          say i want my 3 maps or a decent boost pack in store(for real)
          also the nube that likes steam do u like spyware or to fill your computer with active x`s because serious gamers keep the machines lean not full of spies

I dont have a prob spending 10$ but would prefer a bigger add on for say 30-40$ with like navy and stuff

BUT I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MARKET RESEARCH IF U NEED TO WHEN U WANT THESE, i remember the good old days when serice ment service no a computer cutting and pasting answers

Go ahead people i know where this is going
          also will they refund my 5$ internet downloads fee from internet provider 10$+5$=15$:hmm:

Comment

Originally posted by Copy_of_Blah
            Installshield I think?
            Well... Thats not a format... I kinda doubt you'd get a 1GB exe.. But I also doubt that they would allow you to download a CD/DVD image..

Anyone who actually knows ?

Comment

I just thought I'd go 1 further. I assumed you would equate installshield w/ a .exe executable.
              Also, I was talking about the installer (the downloader). I see now that you want to know about the file structure the downloader uses when it gets it's files from the internet.
              Because when you just download the downloader, you see, you don't get 1 huge file. :laugh:

It seems as though the downloader uses it's own format. Called .eac and yea it is one huge file actually that gets downloaded little by little.

Feel free to flame if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by xRAMBOx
                yeah and u let em get lazier so they dont even have to buy discs then eventually there giving u a beta product because ur a suck hole!stand up say no!
                say i want my 3 maps or a decent boost pack in store(for real)
                also the nube that likes steam do u like spyware or to fill your computer with active x`s because serious gamers keep the machines lean not full of spies

I dont have a prob spending 10$ but would prefer a bigger add on for say 30-40$ with like navy and stuff

BUT I WILL NOT GIVE THEM MARKET RESEARCH IF U NEED TO WHEN U WANT THESE, i remember the good old days when serice ment service no a computer cutting and pasting answers

Go ahead people i know where this is going
                also will they refund my 5$ internet downloads fee from internet provider 10$+5$=15$:hmm:
                Before you start calling me a newb mabey you should offer up some proof that steam does indeed include spyware? You have to Opt IN to allow Valve to connect info about your system every now and then during an update, and you can simply cancel it if you dont want them to know your system specs. I want proof steam is spyware. I got news for you my friend, counter strike is the most popular online game around currently, now all these CAL and CPL players who play it are spyware infested newbs? I think not. I dont even think Steam uses Active X and even if it does just because its Active X doesnt automatically mean its spyware, i mean that must mean you consider windows update spyware as well since it uses Active X. I run a failry lean system, on startup i have only 20 processes running. I dont use ad filled IM systems like AIM or MSN (Ill stick to GAIM or Trillian thanks), i avoid programs like Xfire (Last i heard a few years ago it was messing with Windows TCP/IP stack). Then again leet gamers use Xfire so it must be good!

Comment

Re: What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads?

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                  Great theory. I walked into Best Buy and paid $24.95 (edit: plus 8.5% sales tax) for SF three weeks after it's release. Can you tell me how much money would I save if I downloaded it today for $29.99?

You're right. Those cardboard boxes are killing their business model...
                  Wrong, the download price had to be the same in order not to compete with their retail partners. When have you seen a major manufacturer undercut retail pricing. It doens't happen very often.

I wasn't happy about paying $29.99 and not getting a CD. However, they wouldn't be able to make that much money on a $9.99 boxed software product, hence dowload only.

Comment

and what of peoples jobs if i all goes this way?sales ,packaging,transport?these jobs?not to talk about feedback or no face to talk to

Comment

whats to prevent someone from downloading it and then hosting the file for free?

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                        whats to prevent someone from downloading it and then hosting the file for free?
                        Probably an authorization key.

Comment

WOW, some of you people amazes me at your ignorance. Online distribution is the future & that is the way many new games will be purchased. I guess we will have to bring you into the future kicking & screaming.

Comment

if u had dial-up, would u want to download a 4gb game?

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                              if u had dial-up, would u want to download a 4gb game?
                              Would you want to play online with dial-up?

Comment

Working...
                              X