What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads

Again responding to all of the complaints about the Booster Pack downloads. This is a glimpse into the future of software distribution. It is the most efficient and fastest way to get software to you. Is it ready for everyone? No, not everyone has the bandwidth, but anyone playing BF2 should. Does everyone have a credit card? No, but you probably can figure out a way to make it work (Paypal, pre-paid credit cards, etc). If you have a EA downloader account, you can always retrieve/re-download the software that you have purchased. It's hard to believe people with expensive rigs, stupid number of hours of time online, all sorts of other downloaded content are so resistent to buying and receiving a $10 piece of software online.

Think about the normal distribution costs. The costs to deliver boxed software are not insignificant:
    - Design, edit, finalize and produce packaging
    - Printing documentation
    - CD art and reproduction costs
    - Shipping costs to distributors, who in turn have to ship to their retail partners
    - Potential stocking fees
    - In store marketing (signs, posters, end caps etc)
    - Margin to each layer of the distribution channel

This doesn't even include the development costs.

By the time it ends up in the store, it has been marked up 1-2 times. At the end of the day, noone is going to make much money at $10 per box. More important it also isn't going to make it to your hard drive as fast.

The alternative is they add more content to justify charging enough money to make an acceptable profit. More content means more complexity and potentially more problems. It means a longer wait for content and a higher price to you.

EA have said the SF download helped convince them that online sales and distribution was a viable alternative to exisiting traditional methods for add-on content. Think about it, they have eliminated or reduced packaging, distribution and marketing costs. They can charge $10 and still make a reasonable profit.

Electronic distribution's time is coming. It costs less, gets to you faster and allows them to make money. Everybody wins?

Re: What's Wrong with Electronic Downloads

I don't trust online distribution. Too many things could go wrong at some future date. When I buy physical property, it's just that. I don't have to worry about it and I'm able to re-sell it at a later date if I so choose.

Right now, it seems to be little more than a way of selling stuff that people wouldn't pay for otherwise. Getting nickled and dimed sucks (a lot.)

Comment

What happens if your hard drive crashes? Do you have to repay to download the booster pack agian, or do they keep records of who has bought it, so they can give it to you again..?

If that's the case, that beats the crap out of having to buy a new copy from a store if you lose/brake your CD.

Comment

It's nice for small things like these booster packs, and the smallesque games that are released on Steam. But for full games I like to have a hard copy CD/DVD for the added convenience. You're right though Online Distribution is coming. When it does I don't think I'll miss buying the hard copy of a product too much. Especially if I can back the software up onto something so I don't have to spend hours (days?) re-downloading all my games after a hard drive reformat.
        [Edit]Casey, it's just like Steam once you buy it you can download it as many times onto as many computers as you want.[/Edit]

Comment

Originally posted by Casey
          What happens if your hard drive crashes? Do you have to repay to download the booster pack agian, or do they keep records of who has bought it, so they can give it to you again..?

If that's the case, that beats the crap out of having to buy a new copy from a store if you lose/brake your CD.
          Of course they keeps records. That is your EA downloader account. Right now, it doesn't cost anything to download the software again. The electronic transaction record is a lot more accurate than a store purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Older-OMO
            Of course they keeps records. That is your EA downloader account. Right now, it doesn't cost anything to download the software again. The transaction record is a lot more accurate than a store purchase.
            One other thing, do you have to pay for an EA downloader account?

Comment

I don't like online downloading games, It's way more faster for me to go around the corner to buy the game on DVD .

Also, when I want to uninstall, I uninstall, I have a nice collection of games, when I want to reinstall, I just reinstall, I do not heve to download the whole thing again with the problems that come with it for free.

Also, I just like to have a box .

And how on earth did the SF sales convinced EA for online sales of games ??? they had tons of problems with the EA downloader, half the people couldn't download, couldn't connect anymore (after payment) , and the other half couldn't run the game with serial key isues

Comment

Originally posted by Casey
                One other thing, do you have to pay for an EA downloader account?
                No, but I bet you have to give up a lot of personal (ie. marketing) information.

Also, according to the EA Downloader FAQ, the price is the same as in the store. If this does cost less money, then it certainly isn't being passed along to the consumer, which is lame.

Comment

imagine the money they save and it might give them ideas to never package games again .they will get fat and we will have to download every thing

HOW DO U SAY SCAM!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xRAMBOx
                    imagine the money they save and it might give them ideas to never package games again .they will get fat and we will have to download every thing

HOW DO U SAY SCAM!!!!!

This is not a complete replacement for software sales. Obviously there are and will be applications and games that are too large to assume that it can be downloaded using conventional technology right now. My point was that it was appropriate for smaller chunks of code like add-on content like the Booster packs.

Comment

Originally posted by JarEme
                      No, but I bet you have to give up a lot of personal (ie. marketing) information.
                      No biggie. I'll just give them my spam e-mail account.

Comment

Originally posted by JarEme

Also, according to the EA Downloader FAQ, the price is the same as in the store. If this does cost less money, then it certainly isn't being passed along to the consumer, which is lame.
                        The price may have been the same, but they made more money per game via Downloader. Based on that, I assume they decided they could offer the lower cost Booster Packs via download only. Like I said when I started this, I don't think they could sell this through retail at $10 and make enough money to justify the product. The only way to sell this booster pack concept was online.

Comment

I'm sold on the idea. Expecially when it comes from the developers and the money goes back into their pockets. I gave my CC# to Battlefront no problem, for example. I'm not as pleased to give $ directly to publishers.

Two problems stand out to me. One is everyone doesn't have XP or better and it is a requirement. The OS check is a challenge that should be removed for more sales.
                          I would rather pay a little more for a cd, manual, and cover just so I don't have to hound anybody with XP and have the burden of getting it installed and transferring it back over onto my computer successfully.
                          The other problem, that I won't talk about, is that everyone doesn't know a way to transfer funds electronically.

Comment

Older-OMO, people complain about the EA Downloader because it was and maybe still is a very buggy program. There are still people who paid for it online but can't download it because the installer doesn't work properly on their system. They're delivery system just isn't as reliable as other companies.

When you download something you can easily burn it and put it in a dman box if you like that sort of thing.

Copy_of_Blah, you need XP to play BF2 so needing XP to install the Downloader kind of makes sense to me.

Comment

I've been screwed via buying something over the net.
                              I can't see me bothering with a booster if there isn't a retail way to purchase it. I like a recipt in my hand... not in my e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X