• Show
Clear All

• 7800GT crappy performance in good machine

motherboard- Asus P5GD1
    CPU: P4 3.2 GHz
    2 gigs of DDR400 ram
    70GB hard drive-10000 RPM
    geforce 7800GT pci express x 16 graphics card

i get pings around 35-85 and my frames per second are around 21fps which is rediculous with my hardware specs...

also, keep in mind this is all with th video settings is BF2 set to "LOW," how can this be??? All EA told me was the typical "check backround processes, check for updated drivers, and check to see if you have all the patches downloaded." i have all the latest video drivers, i have the 1.12 patch installed, and i have only 26 running processes WITH the game running... :cry:

someone please help me before i shoot myself on the face

Re: 7800GT crappy performance in good machine

I have the same problem, and I even have two 7800GT's in SLI!

Patch 1.12 totally killed the performance, I used to run in 1280x960 w/ all on Ultra High and 8xAA 8xAF - after patching to 1.12 I had to lower it to 1024x768 w/ most on Medium, some on low and 2xAA 2xAF to get a decent framerate (30-50). It still dips into the low 20s more than often though.
    Pre-patch I had about 70 FPS on average with the settings above..

There's not much you can do other than joining the rest of us in waiting for EA/DICE to fix the performance problems they somehow introduced in 1.12

There's most likely nothing wrong with your hardware, there's loads and loads of people having similar problems after 1.12 - and the problems span across all hardware configurations.

Comment

Would i encounter this problem when i purchase a 7800GTX, cause i dont wanna spend $500 and have the same happen to me

Comment

Originally posted by modifierLE
        Would i encounter this problem when i purchase a 7800GTX, cause i dont wanna spend $500 and have the same happen to me
        Flip a coin :laugh:, have same odds of it working well or not.

Comment

it's just the BF2 engine who sucks realy hard, it's unstable, has memory leaks, many bugs eating pc's horsepower without actualy giving performance on screen

Comment

Hmm that sounds weird. Look at my specs. I run 1.12 with around 50-90 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
              it's just the BF2 engine who sucks realy hard, it's unstable, has memory leaks, many bugs eating pc's horsepower without actualy giving performance on screen
              I have to call B.S. here.
              Quit blaming the BF2 engine, and patches and everything else.
              I built my friend a PC from spare parts, P4 1.8Ghz 768mb DDR333 Memory, Radeon 9600pro, and you know what? It runs BF2 SF (with the 1.2 patch fine)
              My machine is alot more powerful than his and runs the game great! The only problem was some "ghosts" with the Catalyst 5.13.
              I am going to use a phrase I used to use on the Range at Stone Bay when I was a PMI in the Marine Corps 12 years ago. "It isn't the dope on the gun, it is the dope behind the gun" This means that the rifle shoots straight and true, it is the shooter that isn't using it properly. A large group of you "pc mechanics" out there go out and buy a bunch of killer parts and throw a PC together without checking to make sure the parts will work right together, wether your PSU will support these monster GPU's, don't tweak your BIOS for max performance, etc. In addition to this, a fair number of P4 users complain that their machine is a "powerhouse" yet it doesn't perform well. Well if it was a powerhouse it would. Pentium has not been a viable gaming CPU for over a year. It is time a lot of you came to understand this and accepted it. Do not expect your P4's to out pace even the sveltest of Athlons 64's.
              Bottom line, fix your kit, the game is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackass
                Hmm that sounds weird. Look at my specs. I run 1.12 with around 50-90 FPS.
                That's the point. It doesn't matter if you've got a top notch or a medium-decent computer, it's a 50-50 chance if BF2 will run good on your machine either way.

Like someone said above, the only answer to "Will this card/mobo/cpu/whatnot work good with BF2" is simply: Flip a coin.
                It's a sad state of affairs, but that's DICE/EA in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by Berrern
                  That's the point. It doesn't matter if you've got a top notch or a medium-decent computer, it's a 50-50 chance if BF2 will run good on your machine either way.

Like someone said above, the only answer to "Will this card/mobo/cpu/whatnot work good with BF2" is simply: Flip a coin.
                  It's a sad state of affairs, but that's DICE/EA in a nutshell.
                  I disagree, I know of 7 people that play BF2/BF2SF on everything from a DTR Laptop to a Monster PC SLI, 4 GB ram, you name it. Not a single one of them have any performance complaints. Based apon your assertion, out of that 7, at least one should have a problem. FIX YOUR KIT! The game is as sound as a pound.

Comment

Why dont the terrorists bomb DICE ? It's beginning to look like a ****ty company more every day... all those bugs... and if you compare it to par example half life 2 and CS: source, its pethetic..... anyways i love them for making battlefield 2 but the bugs and the quality of the game just suck... but anyways :P i can play bf2 with an avarage of 90 fps with an ati card so im happpy for what i've got

Comment

Originally posted by j-train
                      Even though you've got a point, it's not the problem/solution this time around. Sure, what you say undoubtedly counts for a lot of people - but far, far from them all.

How do you explain that a lot of people (like myself) had everything running smooth, then the 1.12 patch comes out and performance goes down the drain? Look at the official UK EA boards, there's a lot of polls there regarding performance and 1.12, and they're all pretty conclusive.

A lot of those having problems, including myself, run other games on sick details with no problems at all.
                      Since you even told me to fix my kit, I can tell you that HL2 and SWAT runs perfectly fine on the highest settings on my machine. As you can see, my 3DMark05 score of 11500 is also "correct" wrt. my hardware - so it's not a hardware/software conflict/fault. My PC - and all software and games installed are flying, BF2 is the only piece of software that doesn't run like it should. Mind you, it DID run fine before 1.12.

There are lots of people without problems, and they all (like you) blame it on peoples computers or their knowledge - but this is wrong. 1.12 is faulty, and did introduce something that caused a performance drop for a lot of people.

Comment

.....Amen

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                          100 % correct. The patch just made it worse.

Comment

Yuor computers may not have enough power to run this powerfull card. It needs close to 450 W. I bet most of youo have 300W powersupply and the card will dumb it self down to be able to run.

Comment

Originally posted by j-train
                              I have to call B.S. here.
                              Quit blaming the BF2 engine, and patches and everything else.
                              I built my friend a PC from spare parts, P4 1.8Ghz 768mb DDR333 Memory, Radeon 9600pro, and you know what? It runs BF2 SF (with the 1.2 patch fine)
                              My machine is alot more powerful than his and runs the game great! The only problem was some "ghosts" with the Catalyst 5.13.
                              I am going to use a phrase I used to use on the Range at Stone Bay when I was a PMI in the Marine Corps 12 years ago. "It isn't the dope on the gun, it is the dope behind the gun" This means that the rifle shoots straight and true, it is the shooter that isn't using it properly. A large group of you "pc mechanics" out there go out and buy a bunch of killer parts and throw a PC together without checking to make sure the parts will work right together, wether your PSU will support these monster GPU's, don't tweak your BIOS for max performance, etc. In addition to this, a fair number of P4 users complain that their machine is a "powerhouse" yet it doesn't perform well. Well if it was a powerhouse it would. Pentium has not been a viable gaming CPU for over a year. It is time a lot of you came to understand this and accepted it. Do not expect your P4's to out pace even the sveltest of Athlons 64's.
                              I'm sick of you rippin on P4's and saying people rigs need to overhauled. Granted, AMD athlon's are better for gaming. But even the benchmarks don't show a HUGE difference. The only processor's that actually show a HUGE margin are well over $500 (FX series).
                              The processor isn't the problem. I have 4 friends that all encountered a slow in gameplay after the patch. I have not encountered any issue. Also you say you have been a tech for many years, but every time you post, you always rate someone's system by their processor. A system is measured by the overall speed of everything, not just the processor. It's measured by CPU, ram and timings, memory read/write/latency together with the hard drive, and the mobo. A great PSU is required to run all smoothly. A combination of all makes a fast computer. I tried to give you a challenge in another post, but I never heard anything from you. I will take any benchmark program you want against you with my measly P4. You have been called out............

Comment

Working...
                              X