Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a better Graphics Card give you and advantage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a better Graphics Card give you and advantage?

Just curious if the guys running lower end cards usually get owned or do I suck! I do usually(Well often) suck but you can check my stats. It seems like if I am in CQB with a guy he usually wins. Does fps give you an advantage because where you aim verses where the guy usually is? Could that have something to do with the in-accuracy to the sniper rifle? Just wondering what you guys and ladies think!

Re: Does a better Graphics Card give you and advantage?

I believe larger resolutions give you advtange because people appear bigger..or it might be the other way around(smaller resolutions make people bigger). Im not sure which.

Comment

I don't notice much of a size change in people between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Text changes. Alot. Almost illegible at higher res. Technically though, I've heard people say lower settings gives you an advantage because when you turn off some of the eye candy you get simplier more distinct shapes and movement is easier to pick up. I wouldn't say that graphics make the skill level change. It's more about immersion.

Comment

Havn't played for a while, but can't you make it where you can see far away? I know I wasn't able to use it, and sometimes I would get shot at thinking "Where in the feck!!" lol. I don't really think it helps. Maybe a little bit, but i've never had any trouble when I played on low.

Comment

What? Nobody is going to tell me I suck! OH! I'll just wait. Thanks for the replies though. It just P*sses me off that in close combat with a shotgun or what other weapon I have, that I unload a full clip and I die!!!!!!!1

Comment

No, a new video card will not help at all.

Of course it will! I had the same problem, getting owned and not knowing it... then my 6800gt wiped all that away. Still it happens though... but that's because of me being unprepared or reloading.

Comment

I personally don't think it helps that much. What makes the difference are frames per second. The faster your system can render frames, the more 'real-time' it will be and feel. Sure the jaggies and such aren't nice to look at but when a 30FPS player heads up with a 60FPS player, statistically the player with the higher frame count would win.
              I could be off my rocker but I do know the professional players turn everything off to maximize FPS during competition. The #1 UT2004 player said that he strives for 100fps at all times. It a tactical advantage...

Comment

You'll get more FPS with a better high powerd card then a lower end card

Comment

Originally posted by LaserCobra
                  I personally don't think it helps that much. What makes the difference are frames per second. The faster your system can render frames, the more 'real-time' it will be and feel. Sure the jaggies and such aren't nice to look at but when a 30FPS player heads up with a 60FPS player, statistically the player with the higher frame count would win.
                  I could be off my rocker but I do know the professional players turn everything off to maximize FPS during competition. The #1 UT2004 player said that he strives for 100fps at all times. It a tactical advantage...
                  IF he uses an LCD, he is an utter moron. If he uses a CRT only capable of 60hz, he is also a moron. If he uses a CRT that goes up to 100hz, he is doing the right thing.
                  I turn all my settings except for geometry on low in order to have a silky smooth game most of the time. For me, its performance over quality in BF2.

Comment

it's about reflexes reaction speed and experience i think, I have a radeon 9800 Pro .. But usually own the opponent 1 on 1 .. don't think it has something to do with vid card

Comment

Originally posted by Slapidus
                      You'll get more FPS with a better high powerd card then a lower end card

That's a given.

Originally posted by SuperTyphoon
                      IF he uses an LCD, he is an utter moron. If he uses a CRT only capable of 60hz, he is also a moron. If he uses a CRT that goes up to 100hz, he is doing the right thing.
                      I turn all my settings except for geometry on low in order to have a silky smooth game most of the time. For me, its performance over quality in BF2.
                      I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything but did anyone mention a monitor yet?
                      I use a 20" Dell LCD and have no issues running all over people. To generalize LCD's as bad performers is a foolish statement when they have response times in the 2ms range with high native resolutions.
                      This is a good example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375
                      Not saying everyone should run out and buy one but they are on par with some of the high-end CRT's.

Comment

Low end cards do make a difference.

Turn off shadows and lighting and see how easy it is to play. Let all the people hide in shadows in safely while you shoot the hell out of them, cos you aint got shadows and can see them as clear as day.

Personaly, I would like to see some servers have players ONLY using MED setting.

Comment

That's a given.

I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything but did anyone mention a monitor yet?
                          I use a 20" Dell LCD and have no issues running all over people. To generalize LCD's as bad performers is a foolish statement when they have response times in the 2ms range with high native resolutions.
                          This is a good example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375
                          Not saying everyone should run out and buy one but they are on par with some of the high-end CRT's.
                          Okay, let me straighten this out:
                          I know lcd's are bad for games - but that has nothign to do with response time or anything else. Most LCD's only support 60hz refresh rate, some 75. Running a game at 100 - even with a crt, though not as bad - will cause terrible tearing and stuttering. What's the use of running 100fps when your monitor can only draw 60 of them?
                          Even a 2ms one will do it, and so will a 50ms one. CRTs will do it to, but because of how they work, it doens't look as bad.

FYI, i would never ever go back to a CRT again. I love lcd's for almost everythign except games. Generally they have richer colors than crt's, especially the flat screen ones, and obviously are much more versatile.

Turn off shadows and lighting and see how easy it is to play. Let all the people hide in shadows in safely while you shoot the hell out of them, cos you aint got shadows and can see them as clear as day.

Personaly, I would like to see some servers have players ONLY using MED setting.
                          I agree, i have my shadows/lighting on low so all interior places are bright and visible and you can own players who can't see you, and sometimes you can even see enemies' shadows on top of buildings where they don't know you are there.

Comment

That's a given. I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything but did anyone mention a monitor yet? I use a 20" Dell LCD and have no issues running all over people. To generalize LCD's as bad performers is a foolish statement when they have response times in the 2ms range with high native resolutions. This is a good example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375
                            That's the LCD I own. . . actually have two of them

Rev

Comment

better graphics = more fps = easier to killl
                              have u ever tried to kill someone at 15 fps...its like impossible to aim..u move ur mouse slightly left...and it stutters and u move it some more and it goes too far..so i would buy a new videocard

Comment

Working...
                              X