Why is your computer not running BF2 correctly? --Look here--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is your computer not running BF2 correctly? --Look here--

So your mad at EA for creating a game that is kick @ss but it keeps failing on your computer? You get connection issues, drop to your desktop and constantly laggy game sessions. Well I had all these problems to. I was going to throw out my copy of BF2 and never look back. But then I realized that, even though BF2 is a game with many bugs it wasn't becuase of those bugs that it isn't working on my computer. I then proceeded and upgraded my computer:

-AMD Athalon 3500+
    -7800GT

That is all I upgraded. As soon as I went to play BF2...IT WORKED!! So what does this tell you? If you can't get BF2 working on your machine, then your MACHINE IS PROBABLY OUT OF DATE. So upgrade or get an entire new machine to play BF2. It isn't EA's fault that they made a very big game that requires a lot of system recources. So please stop posting about how you HATE EA and they suck becuase its not them its most likely you.

~Ownage

Re: Why is your computer not running BF2 correctly? --Look here--

Actually, it is kind of EA's fault that it runs like **** on the majority of computers. When your selling a game that you want alot of people to play, you have to figure that the majority of them don't have the latest and greatest computer on earth and factor that into how well you optimize your game engine around those little details. They didn't do that.

The fact that they never truly made a 'NEW' refractor engine but just merely made some updates to it, says a lot about them. Strip away a lot of the **** they force computers to render that used to be optional (light maps, environment mapping etc), and the only really new things to the engine are Commander Mode, RagDoll Animations, Unlocks and a Persistent Points. A lot of the higher detailed models and effects are in the game because they are now pushing the computer harder, not because the engine is better optimized to handle **** like that, hence the higher system requirements. You can tell it is the same old engine it always was because the RF2 engine has the same exact bugs and problems (getting into walls for example) as the original RF engine.

Not to mention, according to their little package:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
    1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
    512 MB of RAM or more
    8x or faster CD/DVD drive
    2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
    DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)
    DirectX 9.0c compatible

VIDEO
    Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
    ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

Not that you'll find that on your PC-DVD box anywhere, to inform you of the system requirements before you purchase it, if you just happened to stumble upon the game in the aisle before checking out that information on their website.

~PWNT

Comment

I bet this is the case with most users.

Comment

Originally posted by OWNAGE TIME
        So your mad at EA for creating a game that is kick @ss but it keeps failing on your computer? You get connection issues, drop to your desktop and constantly laggy game sessions. Well I had all these problems to. I was going to throw out my copy of BF2 and never look back. But then I realized that, even though BF2 is a game with many bugs it wasn't becuase of those bugs that it isn't working on my computer. I then proceeded and upgraded my computer:

-AMD Athalon 3500+
        -7800GT

That is all I upgraded. As soon as I went to play BF2...IT WORKED!! So what does this tell you? If you can't get BF2 working on your machine, then your MACHINE IS PROBABLY OUT OF DATE. So upgrade or get an entire new machine to play BF2. It isn't EA's fault that they made a very big game that requires a lot of system recources. So please stop posting about how you HATE EA and they suck becuase its not them its most likely you.

~Ownage

Brilliant . . .

Look at the requirements printed on the box, sonny. (Never mind - IV did it already).

Do you see a problem? You should. EA claims the game runs on machines with the above specs. If the game fails to run, then EA has made the mistake, not the user.

Comment

Actually, they even lowered the default settings for my video card (I have a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra) in the last patch to Low, and the thing still runs on Medium. I have an AM Athlon 64 3200+...the game hasn't given me the CTD problems or apocalyptic scenarios depicted on these forums or elsewhere.

So Ownage? You're wrong. People with even LESSER system requirements than myself can run the game without the evil CTD's and junk, but they still have to endure the same bugs as people who've spent $20,000 on some super computer. Bugs that have no discrection for your system's specifications. EA/DICE has screwed the compatibility up for a lot of people, THAT'S what's wrong. You can have a computer twice as good as what you've upgraded to, and the game WON'T EVEN RUN on it, simply because EA/DICE have ignored making the game work on it. You tell me who's to blame, people who already spent lots of money to have an awesome system, or EA/DICE for IGNORING the gaming community and only catering to a small range of hardware?

Comment

I'm using a Celeron (2.53GHz), 768mb ram and a 9800pro and I've never ever ever had a CTD. Hehehe. Not exactly a stellar computer and it sure didn't cost much.

Comment

Originally posted by OWNAGE TIME

-AMD Athalon 3500+
              -7800GT

~Ownage

LMFAO!!!!

omfg, this post is priceless!

Hey dude, umm, why dont you tell EA to put the specs YOU suggest on
              their box, instead of the ones they listed?

o man, I got to bookmark this thread for future humor......

heres a fact, Mr. wizard.. BF2 is unstable as hell, it doesnt matter what rig
              you have, its unstable.. proof of this is the numerous threads here with people
              have problems, ALL OF WHICH MEET OR EXCEED EA'S RECOMMENDED SPECS.

You could have 2 identical machines, and one be ok the other not.. thats the
              beauty of BF2..

Also, please explain this to me.. Why is it that before the 1.03 patch my game
              crashed 1 out of every 5 games, but after that patch it didnt..... MUST BE MY RIG, EH?

LMFAO!!

Comment

I'm actually running an FX5900 Ultra, I don't have a lot of problems on my comp, but I know a lot that do and some of them have comps better than mine (on paper at least). And I am sure there are a lot of people out there with better comps than me and with the same amount of problems as someone with a lesser comp than mine, I just got lucky.

AMD 2500+ OC'ed @ 2046
                Abit NF7-S Mobo
                Corsair 2x512 PC3200
                BFG FX5900 Ultra OC'ed @ 500-932
                nForce2 Audio (bleh)
                Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 80g (main hd)
                Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 40g (BF42-DC and BF2 only)

Comment

Originally posted by IVfluids
                  I'm actually running an FX5900 Ultra, I don't have a lot of problems on my comp, but I know a lot that do and some of them have comps better than mine (on paper at least). And I am sure there are a lot of people out there with better comps than me and with the same amount of problems as someone with a lesser comp than mine, I just got lucky.

AMD 2500+ OC'ed @ 2046
                  Abit NF7-S Mobo
                  Corsair 2x512 PC3200
                  BFG FX5900 Ultra OC'ed @ 500-932
                  nForce2 Audio (bleh)
                  Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 80g (main hd)
                  Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 40g (BF42-DC and BF2 only)
                  I think the 5900 Ultra is a pretty good card given the time it's lasted me. It's aging, yes, but it still holds it own. I've been running DC video-lag free on the highest settings for quite a while now, almost around 2 years I would say. Got ya beat in RAM though, 1 GB of Corsair PC3200 and the 512 of Kingston Valueram (yes, it's PC3200 at least) I started this computer with (I had upgrading in mind, so I went sorta cheap on ram and got a better video card at the time).

Comment

Originally posted by IVfluids
                    Actually, it is kind of EA's fault that it runs like **** on the majority of computers. When your selling a game that you want alot of people to play, you have to figure that the majority of them don't have the latest and greatest computer on earth and factor that into how well you optimize your game engine around those little details. They didn't do that.

Lesson 1: This is about money.

Lesson 2: Visually stunning products sell more.

Lesson 3: Visually stunning products require high-end hardware.

Lesson 4: This is about money.

I bet the devs did a LOT of optimizing, well atleast as much as they possibly could without postponing the deadline that EA had set for them. Also try to realize that when making a game you have to make the software compatible with a lot of hardware. That kind of programming often stands toe to toe with optimizing. So cut them some freaking slack...

And to all of you. EA didn't make this game. Dice did. Publishers tend to set the dates for release early so the devs have to rush the job and therefore release what the public likes to think of as an unfinished product. I have an understanding for this kind of behaviour. Otherwise you end up with a Duke Nukem Forever on your hands...

Comment

Its the engine, it gives little and takes alot. The halflife 2 engine can give alot and take little, Valve is good at perfecting the engine.

Comment

State the ****ing obvious why don't you, buy a new computer for about £1000 and the game will work.

Comment

Originally posted by newiq
                          Lesson 1: This is about money.

Lesson 2: Visually stunning products sell more.

Lesson 3: Visually stunning products require high-end hardware.

Lesson 4: This is about money.

I bet the devs did a LOT of optimizing, well atleast as much as they possibly could without postponing the deadline that EA had set for them. Also try to realize that when making a game you have to make the software compatible with a lot of hardware. That kind of programming often stands toe to toe with optimizing. So cut them some freaking slack...

And to all of you. EA didn't make this game. Dice did. Publishers tend to set the dates for release early so the devs have to rush the job and therefore release what the public likes to think of as an unfinished product. I have an understanding for this kind of behaviour. Otherwise you end up with a Duke Nukem Forever on your hands...
                          Lesson 5: Many other game engines can support nearly everyone's hardware, and deliver either equal to that of or better graphics than BF2.

Your Lesson 1 and 4 would work if you were talking about Special Forces, as that appears to be the ONLY motivation for that mod. However, if it were about money, wouldn't it make sense to actually support more hardward? Because if you support more hardware, you magically increase your range of customers...wow, imagine that. More range of customers = more money.

And we can blame EA just as much as we want, they own over 60% of DICE, so they are pretty much accountable just as much as DICE are, being THE controlling interest in DICE now. I won't cut either slack until they show improvement.

Comment

Well thats just my opinion. If it is that you meet minimum requirements and the game doesn't work that I owe you all an apology for my post. However my friend has a copy of BF2 and his system is a tad above minimum and it runs fine for him on all low settings.

~Ownage

Comment

I'm willing to bet 75% of this "bugs" are people with computers that arent taken care of.

IE.....they never defrag, never cleanup, case has dust bunny's bigger than the hard drive, they dont install windows properly, dont keep unneed/unwanted Apps out of the systemtray/task manager. etc.

Granted, BF engine has its problems and they need to be worked out. But i still think MOST of the people bitching about problems, simply lack the foresight to care for their computer.

Its comparable to someone saying they blame Ford because their mustang wont run good times at the track, when the owner hasnt changed the oil in 20,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X