Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for clean, stutter free gameplay. (Hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for clean, stutter free gameplay. (Hopefully)

Tips for clean, stutter free gameplay
    Hi, I spent a little time trying to find the best settings to play BF2 on for my system. Of course this 'guide' is specific to me but will help others. For starters, important Sys specs:
    * AMD 3200
    * 1 GB of PC2700 DDR
    * 128 MB GForce 6600 GT graphics card
    First things first:
    Read this: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html
    It details all of the video settings and what's the best ones for you.
    Then, for Nvidia cards, download and install RivaTuner20RC157 from http://www.Guru3D.com. It's a software overclocker. The GT class of video cards are highly flexible when it comes to tweaking.
    Then download and install: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=462
    This will unlock additional setting within the Nvidia drivers control panel. (Read up on the website).
    When you've installed it go to the control panel for the card and navigate to 'Additional Direct 3D settings'and set the 'Max frames to render ahead' to <o> (Zero) Default is 3
    Basicaly this tells the graphics card not too look ahead 3 frames at a time but concentrate on what you're looking at. If you have the recommended spec graphics card and RAM then this will not be a problem.
    Also set the Refresh rate to the highest your monitor will support. The default is always 800 x 600 @ 60 hertz but this is crap, set it higher, for instance 1024 x 768 @ 75 hertz
    I now run the game with:
    Overall Quality: Custom
    Terrain: High
    Effects: High
    Geometry: High
    Texture: High
    Lighting: Low
    Dynamic Shadows: Medium
    Dynamic Light: Low
    Antialiasing: 2X
    Texture Filtering: Low
    View Distance Scale: 100%
    No Lag, no stutter, great vision, Great fun.
    Of course this is not the definitive and there's lots more out there, also, this is for MY pc but it may still help yours

Re: Tips for clean, stutter free gameplay. (Hopefully)

screenshots please

Comment

Very very nice... you have almost the exact same rig as I do, with the exception of the processor (I have the 3500+).

Have you had problems with the game crashing to desktop?

Comment

I've never tried playing with 'Max Frames' setting.

I think I'll give it a go...thanks for the inspiration

Comment

question...ive read tons of guides for this and i heard to set the max frames setting at 2..like above 1/lower than 3 but what is the bad effects of having it at 0?

Comment

Thanks for reading and in answer to your questions / comments:
            boogernaut: Screenshots for which bit or all of it?
            CS-Evolution: Nope, thankfully it's never crashed. I always try to play after a reboot and keep running processes down to a minimum.
            Talus: Best of luck. Personally I think the frame setting and refresh rate are the kiddies.
            ConscriptVirus: I haven't seen any bad effects, all good ) As I understand it you free up the graphics card to concentrate on rendering (drawing the screen) of what you can see and let the RAM concentrate on what's coming next. Incredibly simplified way of putting it but wtf! It's all about synergy. The sum of the whole is greater than the individual parts.

Comment

Well, I have it set to 0 still and no problems yet!

I DID try the auto-overclocking option for the first time but got artifacts...HUGE framerate boost though...that was a bit too daring for me so I'm gonna leave that alone for the time being until I can find good overclock settings for a stock XFX 6800GT.

Comment

Also before you open BF2, open task manager and shut down everything you don't need running, such as any IM programs, Antispyware, etc...anything that isn't a system process.

Comment

i'd just like to see one or a few of your ingame shots. i have a system fairly identical to yours. amd64 3000+, 1gig 3200 ram, pci-e 6600gt. you're able to play while using a lot of things set at high. i usually play with everything on medium and AA4x. your setting to "0" really helped in smoothing things out alot. so i'd kind of just like to see a ss to compare with. thanks.

Comment

You should at least put lighting on medium, because low looks extremely ugly man. Spare your eyes, put terrain on medium then same for lighting, you dont see much a difference between high and medium on terrain.
                    but it's your choice

Comment

well in about a week i'll be getting a 7800gt so hopefully i'll be able to play with everything set to high. right around christmas i should be getting a amd64 3500+, so that should further help. in all honesty, it is very playable for me right now, i just want everything to look really good while i'm playing.

Comment

Originally posted by boogernaut
                        well in about a week i'll be getting a 7800gt so hopefully i'll be able to play with everything set to high. right around christmas i should be getting a amd64 3500+, so that should further help. in all honesty, it is very playable for me right now, i just want everything to look really good while i'm playing.
                        100% agree
                        and congrats I wish I had a 7800 :cry:
                        but my 6600gt is working nicely for me ATM

Comment

Nice tips .... the only problem is that I have a cr**py FX5200 so if someone has time to lose, post a thread like this one but for a NVidia FX5200 128mb card..

Ok alright this would be a real time losing but I tried to change 800x600 60hz to 1024x768 75hz and there was a unplayable lag so I think I'll keep the settings like this :

EFFECTS : Medium
                          Dynamic Light : Low
                          Geometry : MED
                          View distance : 100%

all the rest : LOW

shame yea I know but as a 15 year old high school student I dont waste my money on vid. card. I want a trip to Italy so I think Ill keep my money. hmmm maybe a 512 ram for christmas wont hurt :

Comment

"Then, for Nvidia cards, download and install RivaTuner20RC157 from http://www.Guru3D.com."

OK have done now what do I do with it??

"When you've installed it go to the control panel for the card and navigate ...."

How do I find the control panel for my card please?

PS All those about to abuse my lack of knowledge, get stuffed (in advance)

Cheers, Noob out.

ps My Specs

DELL Inspiron 9300
                            Windowss XP
                            Pentium M 2.13 Mhz chip (M770)
                            605 Mhz, 1 GIG RAM
                            Sigmatel C Major Audio
                            Nvidia GEFORCE GO 6800 256 card

Comment

the forceware control panel can be found by....
                              rightclicking on ur desktop and going to properties..then go to the settings tab and click advanced and then go to the tab that says ur video card (Geforce 6800 go) or something like that and voila

Comment

Working...
                              X