No announcement yet.

What language to the MEC forces speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What language to the MEC forces speak?

Originally posted by weird_al
    They use Common arabic. But it's translated litteraly from the english commands. It mean the same thing.

example:

Enemy plane spotted
    Tayar al fauwkena hawel

Tayar: Plane
    Hawel: Over
    Fauwkena: (not the rigth spelling but) spotted or over there

Goodjob. The reason I think EA had a hard time is because in Arabic/Farci sometimes there are no words for "English" words, or connectors.

Comment

So it's like Japanese, the sentance structures are all wrong (From an English point of view) and we have words that have no Arabic/Farsi equivilant? So EA took the English and ran it through Babelfish instead of hiring someone with language skills and came out with an understandable, albeit butchered, translation? I see now.

I wonder how much it would have cost to ask someone who has taken high school level Farsi/Mandrin to translate their sentances.

Comment

Originally posted by Citrus Man
        Arabic I would hazard a guess.

BTW I recognise your avatar. Its a SOAD poster, right? I want that poster.

Comment

Exactly what they did... But you have to understand that MEC army is not only egyptian or syrian. They are a coalition of arabic nations. An Algerian and a Lebanese will not understand each other if they speak in their respective dialect. I think it make sense that they use Common arabic after all.

And personnaly I think it's a cool language if you try to understand a bit of what they are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTyphoon
            Arabic. EA said it was hard finding people to do the voice overs.
            EA lies.. we have tons of people in custody in Gitmo and Abu Gharib, they ain't doing nothing else.. put them to work.

I remember the Japanese from BF1942 was all choppy and inconsistent, but what does it matter.. the game isn't supposed to substitute for a foreign language lesson.

I understand an extremely limted ammount of Arabic, so in the game.. when I can't understand anything.. its just like normal

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
              So it's like Japanese, the sentance structures are all wrong (From an English point of view) and we have words that have no Arabic/Farsi equivilant? So EA took the English and ran it through Babelfish instead of hiring someone with language skills and came out with an understandable, albeit butchered, translation? I see now.

I wonder how much it would have cost to ask someone who has taken high school level Farsi/Mandrin to translate their sentances.
              No I would think they may have hired someone, but there is no way to translate some words, you have to use another word or part of a word to make a connection to make it English... um if that made sense... also in Arabic/Farci we do not have certain ways/words to pronounce words/sounds like "th" sound in words.

It is like taking Slang like... Homie, or Dogg, and trying to have someone transllate it into another language? Does that make sense... I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus
                EA lies.. we have tons of people in custody in Gitmo and Abu Gharib, they ain't doing nothing else.. put them to work.
                ROFL

CIA: OK, Mr. Hajieb, I want you to say "Enemy plane spotted" in common Arabic.

Hajieb: Al fookah te Amerikans, bistards!

CIA: Very good, TY!

Originally posted by Slayter_Maximus
                No I would think they may have hired someone, but there is no way to translate some words, you have to use another word or part of a word to make a connection to make it English... um if that made sense... also in Arabic/Farci we do not have certain ways/words to pronounce words/sounds like "th" sound in words.

It is like taking Slang like... Homie, or Dogg, and trying to have someone transllate it into another language? Does that make sense... I hope so.
                I'm not sure how there could not be a direct translation for "Enemy plane spotted" without having to substitute one word for another. All they have to do is find Enemy, Plane, and Spotted in their always ready Arabic dictionary and put them in place according to the rules of Arabic grammer. It might translate back to English as "Plane of the enemy's seen!" but the words are the same, the meaning is not lost. I'm not clear on what you mean. And how do you not have certain ways to pronounce sounds? Does *insert Arabic letter here* not always equal *insert sound here*?

OK, I see the problems there, but I still don't see how something as common as an enemy, a plane, and the action of having seen something could not be translated easily.

Maybe I need to play a game from Russia that features some English speaking characters for me to understand.

Comment

I always kinda wanted to learn Arabic or Chinese, both those languages have always been cool to me, and it also makes some kind of sense to learn them. Hell, I dont yet know what the hell they're saying so for now I'm fine.

"Jerry's busten hymen inside Jane Long" <hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by iewgnem
                    Obvious answer is Arabic.

however, chances are an arabic person wouldnt understand what they say.

I am Chinese and only 10% of the Chinese voice over makes sense, although grammarly way off.
                    no, they are correct, grammar and saying wise,im taiwanese, so i speak mandarin as well, if u listen, u can understand it.....they just.....use military words rather than....."common" words

Comment

Originally posted by Slayter_Maximus
                      if you know writing its KANJI and its Japanesse for Eternal. Its the easiest symbol I could find for the meaning of many languages/writings
                      (LOOK IT UP KNOW your WRITING STYLES :laugh: ). And that MAN is me btw.
                      No, no, no! We will now call you 'muslim-man with chinese writing'

Originally posted by SaladFork
                      It is a dialect of Arabic most spoken in the middle east. It's highly inaccurate, and only starts to make sense if you take it very very literally.
                      But then again, you TK for vehicles

I thought it was like Egyptian Arabic.

Comment

MEC sounds cool but China is like WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho
                          I think the word you are looking for is ignorant, and this is how most of the world views america but there even to ignorant to realise that.
                          Oh okay, there you bastards go again making generalizations and stereotypes about us Americans, turning another Goddamn thread into a pi$$ing contest. Jeezus, isn't anyone tired of this crap?

I'm an American, speak 3 languages (English, Spanish, Tagalog - fluency in that order), and sure as hell aren't ignorant nor am I arrogant. I'm an immigrant to this country much like millions of Americans (GUESS WHAT @SSHOLES, NOT ALL AMERICANS ARE WHITE, ANGLO-SAXON, & PROTESTANT), so making stupid statements like that just exposes your own ignorance.

BTW, it's "they're" not "there." Maybe you'll be more comfortable posting in a non-English speaking website.

Comment

I'm American and speak English, Spanish and Ghetto

Comment

I can't believe none of you n00bs got this right - they are clearly speaking Bakkalakkadaki... although I am unsure of the exact local dialect.

Comment

they are speaking arabic. It is very useful in a way because when i am playing strike at karkand and going through small alleys and stuff I usually hide or i know from which side the dude is coming from after hearing arabic. It is kinda cool that's why I never turn English on. It helps a lot and usually when i play on MEC i know the meaning of most of the phrases and thats why I know whats going on. So keep the native language on guys for some xtra help.

Comment

Working...
                                X