Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I be getting such bad performance from this system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I be getting such bad performance from this system?

I am running a 3.2Ghz system with 2 gigs of RAM, and an x800 Pro with the latest drivers. I have gone in and disabled most every non-critical service in Windows and I ran Hijack This and got rid of everything that it listed that could be holding me back. I am running the game in 1024 x 768 and everything at high setting. I have the visibility at 90%. Most maps run fine except when I start playing 64-person servers I get lag. the Kubra Dam is nearly unplayable at these settings and don't even think about venturing into the place between the massive oil tanks in the Daqing Oilfields, lest you subject yourself to 3 frames a second and become nothing more than a target for the opposition.

What gives? I should be running this thing much better, right? Does anyone else out there have a similar setup and can make a solid recommendation that doesn't hinder graphics quality while squeezing a little more performance juice from the system?

Re: How can I be getting such bad performance from this system?

I have 2.4 p4, 768mb ram, and x850xt and I run everything on low to play 64 player maps.. I tried runing all my settings on high on a 16 player map and the frames were horrendous. Consider yourself lucky you have a good proc and ram and can run above medium for most maps.

Comment

your ISP?

My specs:
      2500+ XP @ 1.9GHz
      ATI 9800Pro (stock)
      2GB PC2700

run the game at high settings across the board.
      2X FSAA 8X AF
      1024x768 32bit.

runs BUTTER smooth on ANY size map.

I also have a 4mbit net connection.

I had lag before when I only had 768mb of ram, as soon as I upgraded to 2GB the game blasted off.

Comment

Hmm then perhaps I shall consider more seriously a purchase of ram.

Comment

maybe so. this game can actually use up to 2GBs of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by amish marauder
            your ISP?

My specs:
            2500+ XP @ 1.9GHz
            ATI 9800Pro (stock)
            2GB PC2700

run the game at high settings across the board.
            2X FSAA 8X AF
            1024x768 32bit.

runs BUTTER smooth on ANY size map.

I also have a 4mbit net connection.

I had lag before when I only had 768mb of ram, as soon as I upgraded to 2GB the game blasted off.
            Adelphia is my ISP, but I don't think that is the issue. As I've said, it is really bad in certain areas of the map. Your specs seem lower than mine almost across the board, but you appear to be running it much smoother than I. Do you have any special settings in Windows that might be contributing this?

Comment

My system is very similar to yours. P4 3Ghz, 3 Gb ram, 6800. I can run all on high with 2xAA and get a steady, respectable, frame rate, and i only play on 64 man servers.
              i'm really not sure as to why you suffering so bad from poor frames, try turning textures down to medium along with some lighting settings. I found the game barely playable with my other comp( 6600GT, 1.5Gb ram) until i turned textures down slightly. (lighting already on meduium.)

Just fiddle with your settings till you find the best performance for you.

Comment

Silly question but one that needs asking.

You run an Anti-virus, trojan hunter??

I'm running a
                3.4 GHZ
                1gb Ram @533
                PCIe 6800 (256mb)
                and I've maxed my settings at 1024X768. No lag, No hesitation. I am on a fibre optic server though at about 6mb

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I think it has to do with the x800 pro more than anything. I just don't think that card has the firepower to run everything at max setting. I uninstalled all antivirus programs, etc. but the performance issue is still there. I may start shutting down questionable services in Windows to see if that helps.

Can anyone tell me what one setting has the most impact on performance? Is it the textures or the lighting? I may have to bump one or two of them down, but damn, I shouldn't have to!

Any other ideas?

Comment

try different servers i dont think its your computer or isp, cause i have

P4 3.0
                    2GB Ram
                    6800GT
                    setting all high, 4X AA, running at 1024x768

play with no lag on 64 player servers, and my internet is crappy dsl.

Comment

Originally posted by Euthanasiast

I think it has to do with the x800 pro more than anything. I just don't think that card has the firepower to run everything at max setting. I uninstalled all antivirus programs, etc. but the performance issue is still there. I may start shutting down questionable services in Windows to see if that helps.

Can anyone tell me what one setting has the most impact on performance? Is it the textures or the lighting? I may have to bump one or two of them down, but damn, I shouldn't have to!

Any other ideas?
                      i have an AMD 64 3000+ venice and a 6600GT with a gig of ram and i have everything on high except for lighting and textures on LOW and get about pretty good fps

Comment

Originally posted by Euthanasiast

I think it has to do with the x800 pro more than anything.
                        OMG yer a fool if you think that. Did you NOT read my post? I play the game at high settings with a 9800pro stock and it plays butter smooth.

your card is much better than mine.

Comment

all the BF games have been very dependent on RAM. the more RAM you have the better!!!

Comment

I found my game ran choppy on a couple of maps, then I read somewhere on here about the graphics aperture size in bios, mine was still set to 128 (default), I set it to 256 and bingo all maps play smooth on everything high 1024x768x75hz X4 AA.

My system:

AMD 3000+ Barton
                            2 gig DDR3200
                            Galaxy Glacier 6800GT 256 meg DDR
                            2x80 Gig sata HDD
                            8x8 pioneer DVDrw
                            onboard Soundstorm audio

Comment

Originally posted by DaDDeh
                              I found my game ran choppy on a couple of maps, then I read somewhere on here about the graphics aperture size in bios, mine was still set to 128 (default), I set it to 256 and bingo all maps play smooth on everything high 1024x768x75hz X4 AA.

My system:

AMD 3000+ Barton
                              2 gig DDR3200
                              Galaxy Glacier 6800GT 256 meg DDR
                              2x80 Gig sata HDD
                              8x8 pioneer DVDrw
                              onboard Soundstorm audio
                              Where would this setting be located for an ATI card?

Comment

Working...
                              X