No announcement yet.

Improve EAX effects in BF2!! (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Improve EAX effects in BF2!! (finally)

Hate to ask, but is there a sound sample to hear the difference, before I tweak? Don't wanna touch something that punkbuster later kicks me during a CAL match o.o;;

Comment

Well, punkbuster hasn't kicked me so far PB doesn't check for changes to that file.

If you're worried..just make a backup copy first and then if you're playing any 'official' types of games, reset it back to the default copy before you start.

To answer your question:

Best thing to do would be the start up Dalian Plant single player 16 man map and spawn as USMC at the starting base. Then head into one of the nearby buildings at the construction site and have a listen. Quit out of the game. Makes those changes. Save the file. Load the game back up and head back into Dalian Plant at the same place in single player mode and listen to the differences.

Comment

I noticed a good difference, especially when in a building where the commander was next to me giving his orders

Comment

Well, this is a great find. After playing for a while w/various settings in sound.con, I find that just changing:

vars.set sound-maxreverb 3
          vars.set sound-reverb-steepness 1

does the trick for me. I like the balance2d3d params at the default of .5, otherwise your own sounds get too soft.

Comment

I'll pass on this for a while until it's confirmed not to cause a punkbuster kick or ban, but it looks interesting. Has anyone tested this on the audigy 4 pro?

Comment

Punkbuster does not kick or ban this minor change..... nice change there.

Comment

So... the higher the number, as in a value of 1 compared to a value of .5, the lower the sound output for that process? If that is true, then setting vars.set sound-maxreverb 3 instead of the default 1 would result in lessened EAX Reverb effects, yes?

This would mean the same applies to changing vars.set sound-reverb-steepness 1 from vars.set sound-reverb-steepness .55 (Default) makes the reverb rolloff speed-up therefore causing the reverb to disappear sooner?

Just by looking at the numbers, for an improvement, it doesn't make sense to me...

Comment

Sorry...since I don't actually understand what all of these variables mean, anything we learn would be by trial and error...and we could be WAY off the mark.

These settings do give me a significant boost to EAX though.

I'm still playing with them (when I'm not actually playing and enjoying BF2 )...so if I learn more, I'll certainly post more.

Graphics options are easier because you can visualize them and then post images for all to see...audio options are more subjective...I suppose we could start posting .mp3 files

Comment

It makes sense. The balance2d3d properties have a range from 0 to 1, ie. your essentionally adjusting a slider b/t 2D volume level on the left and 3D volume level on the right. .5 is the 50% mark. Everything else is a param.

Comment

He's talking about reverb steepness...and I don't pretend to know anything about that

I used to be into audio in my younger days and when sound cards first came on the market.

EDIT: I finally remembered...I used to lust after an old FM synthesis Ad Lib card. I remember wanting to buy one at Radio Shack but it was over $300!!! Soundblaster came out with their 'digital' card later and I still couldn't afford it. Then...the GRAVIS ULTRASOUND came out and my prayers were answered. What an absolutely frigging amazing card that was. The things I used to do with that card I wish I still had the creativity and imagination to do today. The SB16 and SB32 PnP (which I upgraded with 8 MB of EDO RAM ) I purchased subsequently still couldn't live up to it.

Comment

I have a problem with my audiagy 2 zs.
                        It could be my hardware setup tho...not sure.

my setup>>> sound card.......COAXLCABLE......harmon/Korden 5.1 reacerver
                        ........5.1 speakers setup.

When i use software my sounds are all there in game and all is fine.
                        But when I use hardware, All my speakers praduce sound but i get none to very little derectly in front and behind.
                        So to hear a tank runing infront of me or to hear a granad go off i have to turn my head (INGAME) . Its almost like i have a 2 inch ded zone on my crosshairs were the sound fades out on whatever i look at.

EAX enabled in both configs....eny ideas??

Comment

Originally posted by Akuma
                          I have a problem with my audiagy 2 zs.
                          It could be my hardware setup tho...not sure.

my setup>>> sound card.......COAXLCABLE......harmon/Korden 5.1 reacerver
                          ........5.1 speakers setup.

When i use software my sounds are all there in game and all is fine.
                          But when I use hardware, All my speakers praduce sound but i get none to very little derectly in front and behind.
                          So to hear a tank runing infront of me or to hear a granad go off i have to turn my head (INGAME) . Its almost like i have a 2 inch ded zone on my crosshairs were the sound fades out on whatever i look at.

EAX enabled in both configs....eny ideas??
                          I would imagine that the Harmon/Korden receiver is not able to parse the EAX code. I am not aware of any external receiver that can output EAX. It should work great if you connected directly to your speakers from your soundcard.

Comment

Ahh I see. Thank you !!

Comment

This worked for my NForce 3 onboard sound, which is Realtek ALC850.

Comment

Does this work with Live cards as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X