My impressions of the ET:QW demo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My impressions of the ET:QW demo...

From one round, I can tell that this isn't really my style of game. However, it was great fun, but probably that was just the "new game" feel.

First off, unlimited sprint and unlimited jump??? It's just too much power to handle. Also, there's a lot of bunnyhopping because of this. I even caved in and bunnyhopped frequently. (:laugh

Also, the flying jetpack things the Strogg has are too hard to defeat for the only class I played, with the assault rifle.

Oh well, I'll definately play a few more rounds, then I'll decide to buy it or not.:nod:

Though it did run on an acceptable (20-40 with occasional dips) framerate on my centuries-old Geforce 6200, without an overclock applied, for that I am happy.

I was in the beta, won't be downloading the demo

Comment

Unless they changed it since beta, the jetpack thingies are fairly easy to counter. Just avoid their bombs, aim and shoot

btw, does anyone know if the demo map is different from beta map?

Comment

Too many damn bunnyhoppers for it to be any fun.

Even when you're not chasing them they still hop around like a jack-in-the-box.

Comment

i found it enjoyable

Comment

Not for me. sure there will be lots of people that like it. bunny hopping and unlimited sprint is a big turn off for me. Hopefully it will take away some of bf bunny hoppers. I don't care if you do it, you just look so stupid. Nothing like seeing a whole squad hopping across the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Deesies
              Unless they changed it since beta, the jetpack thingies are fairly easy to counter. Just avoid their bombs, aim and shoot

btw, does anyone know if the demo map is different from beta map?
              Still Valley and pretty much no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Spuddy
                Still Valley and pretty much no difference.
                Spuddy, get your a55 online !

Comment

Originally posted by Sys.Op.
                  I was in the beta, won't be downloading the demo
                  same as. now that 1.99 preorder box with little vehicle cards will just collect dust and probs be thrown out in years to come......nevermind it had some potential.

im not saying the game is bad. its awesomely done but the play style just isnt my thing, feels a little choppy. + ut3 soon so all extra cash is sat waiting for that.

let us know how the final game comes out

Comment

Now that I've played about 4 hours of the demo, I found I like it. At first I was horrified, but I got used to the controls and interface and things got better. It runs very well on my machine and is not choppy at all.

Playing as Medic is as fun and exciting as BF. Playing as a Strogg and flying around with the jet packs is incredibly fun and challenging to try to lob your bombs so they actually blow something up. The armor battles are decidedly less entertaining than BF2142 and the aircraft are very difficult to control. You see people jump in one and then go 'flying' around bashing into everything before they finally explode... well, you see that all game long...

However, I can already tell that this is not going to replace BF2142... It's just not. The rounds can be very, very short if the other team is disorganized and then you're off to do the same thing again. Sure, you can change classes to perform different missions, but I like the BF sandbox because I feel free to do as I please when I please.

I have a feeling that pubbin' this game might get old pretty fast. But, I do think that I will enjoy playing this in a structured environment and have joined A Soldier's War to play weekly ETQW battles with other like-minded individuals.

Comment

I wanted to give it a chance but i just didnt like. Unlimited energy, one mode of fire, horrible vehicles(although HUD with info was kinda cool). Money is better spent on getting CoD4, Crysis, and UT3.

Comment

i've heard it is alot better than the beta which i played... i'll give it a go when i build my new pc tomorrow!

Comment

It's called Quake for a reason.

And I heard the games are pretty linear/same stuff happens each round or something like that, is that true?

Comment

yah pretty much

Comment

Seriously, some of you need to try playing it without expecting a Battlefield clone, because God forbid, not all games are made with the same intentions in mind. I don't expect a large amount of BF players to play ETQW for this reason. The majority of the ETQW community is composed of old W:ET players.

The bunny hopping is a part of W:ET. Actually, most people strafe jump, allowing them to gain more speed than sprinting alone (see: BallaAce). Having the type of maps that it does (ie. large), limited sprint/jump wouldn't be practical.
                              A suggestion: play it more than an hour before calling it quits. It wasn't at the top of my list either when I first fired up the beta, but like with any game, it takes some time to get better believe it or not. Once you're able to rack up the XP, it does being to grow on you.

If it's not your kind of game, that's fine. Just don't go ahead and point everything that you see as a flaw. Besides, at least Splash Damage actually made considerable changes to the game based on the community's feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X