Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick rundown of my opinion on this game

the game blows,
    its for kids i swear, u can master the weapons in a bout 2 hours and the firefights are a snoooze fest anyway,
    the games a complete mess of other fps's with the quake gameplay thrown on top
    if i wanted to bunnyhop and strafe i'd go play some random deathmatch game UT or something but for something that is meant to be about teamplay and such it doesnt make sense
    weapons feel boring, sound and feel totally sucks
    i didnt go in expecting 2142 i didnt want 2142 i wanted a good game did i get it? no i got a mess the game has some potential but its a total mess

graphics are good thats about it

Comment

So it's rated T huh? Wasn't Wolf ET M?
      How violent is it, can't really tell from the youtube vids.

Comment

Folks keep talking about "Quake-this, Quake-that..." It's much, much less Quake than it is Enemy Territory. Thus, ET:QW. The universe it is set in is Quake but the game play is not.

Is there bunny-hopping? Yup. Is it as annoying as bunnyhopping in BF2/2142? Not at all. The game pace is very fast. In fact the Strogg have an anti-grav backpack to fill the need for some to hop in a controlled manner. It gives them an advantage and a huge disadvantage, too. Those 'packs' are easily damaged and I just shoot them and make them explode while they are 10m off the ground. That's fun!

I don't quite understand the vitriolic hate people show for this game. I think it's obvious that they put a lot of thought into the game mechanics, it's fun and nice eye candy, too. It also runs quite well on my middle-of-the-road budget gaming rig.

Comment

Perhaps I was just on a really laggy server, but the entire gameplay experience was not very smooth for me (it wasn't graphical lag). I gave the game five minutes, was utterly confused as to what I was supposed to do, and quit. Perhaps I should have given it some more time, but judging by the style of gameplay, I'm probably not going to like it. The Battlefield series has the best pace of any FPS I've ever played, and I have a hard time with twitch games like Quake and UT.

Comment

yeah ill agree the gameplay is smooth and the game does feel solid (as in well put together) but the gameplay just isnt there, the maps are huge and you run around very fast trying to find someone and when u do the firefights are uninteresting anyway tbh, theres nothing really that new or exciting in this game imo

Comment

I've been playing it for a few hours and I have to admit that I expected worse. The gameplay with all its tactical possibilites is great, IF you are playing in a organized team. Therefore it's going to rule in Clan-Wars or tournaments. But in case that you are on free serve, where everyone plays for himself --> it s***s, even if you try to help your team by working on the main or secondary missions, you alone won't be able to achieve anything at all. In BF2142 it's a miracle when you have 5 players in your squad, that are working together and pwning the BF as a team. Normally you get a few guys who simply spawn at your SLB because they don't want to walk so far. But at least they are there. In ET:QW you've simply got the "standard" spawn-points and from thereon everyone's on his own. I've often seen groups of GDF-soldiers spawn and run in different directions where everyone on his own didn't stand a chance. :cry:

So, I don't think that I'm going to buy it, because I haven't got the time to join a clan and the gameplay, although great in concept, on free servers just doesn't work (and don't say it will start working after some time, the same argument was brought by BF2(142) and teamplay still doesn't work today)

Comment

This game feels just like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory! The strange accuracy and akward jumping style, it just doesn't fit the game style...

Comment

played it yesterday, the game sucks and so does the gameplay. I enjoyed Q4 a hell of a lot better.

Comment

So far I have only tried it offline, and I have no intention of going online before I can hit anything.
                    And that is a major problem, it seems rather random wheter I hit or not, what is the secret?
                    Surprisingly enough I can hit with the sniper rifles, and that usually never happens in other games.
                    So I am curious, how does aiming/accuracy work in this game?

Comment

use the iron sights and its easy, spec ops scoped rifle, boom boom boom

Comment

When you begin to peak in the learning curve i.e. setting objectives for teammates etc. you'll start to see that it's a great game for teamwork, some people are even *gasp* selfless in their approach to a common goal (something I have never, ever seen in 2142 because 2142 just doesn't prompt that kind of play).

I am also impressed with the stability and lack of ridiculous bugs that ruin games like 2142.

It's just a shame that the actual shooting is complete dump.

Comment

My CPU is just crashing to desktop when I try and play the demo. Can it not handle it or what? I can handle BF 2142 fine as well as the World in Conflict demo, is there any obvious reason as to why this would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by LanDodger
                            use the iron sights and its easy, spec ops scoped rifle, boom boom boom
                            Scooped or Ironsights? Because they are the opposite.
                            Anyway it helped some that I changed the cross-hairs to my favourite neon-green colour. Luckily the online players have significantly worse aim than the bots

But I would still like to know what the advantages are of respectively crouching and zooming.
                            I noticed that zooming has a speed penalty, so it not a good idea at close range.

First impressions after 4-5 rounds:
                            Its not that bad, but let me list what I don't like
                            • Sniping is too easy, far to many snipers
                            • To many versions of death from above. Artillery, airstikes etc. Not funny.
                            • The AT weapon doesn't really require any skill. Its just lockon and then fire and forget. No guiding, no aiming at weak spots, just shoot and scoot.
                            • Its pretty obvious where they attend to placed the cursed adds "welcome to the GDF". And next week it will be a movie add
                            • The reward system does not reset between each round, so casual players will be out of luck.
                            • The demo map is not very balanced. And the less full it is, the worse it becomes.
                            • I am not sure that the engine handles the high speed well, I have a feeling of players "warping" around, making aiming very hard.
                            • The weapons still feel a bit odd. I just don't feel the connection between shooting at something and hitting it, like I do in BF2142
                            • Medic class seems to be unneeded. No penalty for dying, the annoying "you missed the respawn because you waited for a medic" and the high likelihood of getting oneshot killed while trying to revive.
                              Due to the powerful weapons (when they hit) most players will also have full life or be completely dead, so no need for medpacks.
                            • The alien jetpack is annoying. High speed, hard to hit, good armour, powerfull weapons. What is the GDF equivalent?
                            • Moving as a squad just mean that you will die together by one of the many powerful weapons. The deployables are more stratetic than tactic, so a squad doesn't benefit form having them.
                            • I need a proper manual. What is "Vehicles Airdrop"? Why was the "quicksay" button or whatever they called it unbound? Are there anything like BF squads in this game?

But even though there is this long list of "Me Not Like", I will be playing it this weekend instead of BF2142, because so far it is not bad, and most of all it is a new experience.

ETA: Oh yeah, and mine crashed too, but the handy crash log pointed me to an issue with OpenGL and my optimized drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by AutoFodder
                              When you begin to peak in the learning curve i.e. setting objectives for teammates etc. you'll start to see that it's a great game for teamwork, some people are even *gasp* selfless in their approach to a common goal (something I have never, ever seen in 2142 because 2142 just doesn't prompt that kind of play).

I am also impressed with the stability and lack of ridiculous bugs that ruin games like 2142.

It's just a shame that the actual shooting is complete dump.
                              I have to agree with that post, but I'll add that before you start, turn transparency for everything to at least half. If not, all you'll see is maps, boxes, and cones, not the enemy shooting you in the face. The hud is just a little too hectic for me, when everyone else said the same thing in another forum, I thought "naw I like lots of info", but now I see what they mean.

Another thing is that there's so many buttons to remember, I mean, could they have set "use" and "enter vehicle" to the same command? Just maybe?
                              A lot of the button commands seem to me like they could have overlapped them, even Battlefield controls are streamlined comparatively.

Also, the guns....just aren't fun to shoot for some reason....(with the exception of the nailgun and shotgun, those rock, in fact I wish the Clark handled like the shotgun in ET:QW, love the ironsight anims)

And who says theirs no selflessness in 2142? Why today I decided to just pilot the transport like a bus from silo to silo on highway tampa, being a mobile spawn point 'til I got shot down (which was not for a very long time for the most part). Not to blow my own horn or anything.......

Comment

Bots are kicking my butt .

I very much enjoyed ET and it's style of play, but in this it just seems too hectic and over-flooded in too many ways. The weapons are very deadly and in such very much favor the defenders and ambushers. That's why it seems that GDF has a very hard time to move anywhere. The bunnyhopping was not so big deal in ET since the background was simplier and the targets did stand out well. In QW the soldiers blend too well to the scenery thus making bunny-hopping merely frustrating for aiming purposes. If they would nerf the weapons a bit I think it would make the game more enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                X