Thoughts of BF1 Beta so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts of BF1 Beta so far?

I haven't had any time to play the BF1 Beta (and likely won't have), so I would like to know what are the opinions so far of my fellow BF vets?

Got to play about 2 hours of it and these are my quick notes so far:

What I liked:
    -The sound and graphics are impressive as always
    -The higher physicality of the game and how it helps more than ever to make you feel like you are there
    -How the game feels so cinematic
    -How tanks feel strong, useful and frightening again

What I disliked:
    -I'm still not sure about the random bullet spread of the guns as balancing. I like that certain weapons are barely effective at certain ranges but it kind of feels really awkward.
    -The medic seems useless. I did not get revived once, did not get healed, did not manage to revive anyone because everyone presses "Skip revive" and barely managed to heal a teammate
    -Skip revive?
    -Everyone either plays assault or sniper
    -No horse First person view.
    -Too fast paced
    -Feels like SW BF?
    -Menus are too futuristic, Sure that something clean and minimalistic is good, but when I'm on the menu I dont feel like I'm going to play a WWI game. Why does the camera hover above the earth on settings menu? Sure its "World" war game, but it feels like a space/futuristic game.
    -Doesn't entirely feel like BF to me
    -Wheres the teamwork?

Comment

Havent played much of it so far but I am liking it. Still on the fence about buying it though. Will have to play more.

Comment

Ive only sat down with it a couple hours today and I like the layout and the graphics of course and the sound, but the game seems to be really really broken.

I cant spawn in with weapons for some reason. I was playing on a server with another person, so it was just me and them most the time then after a few minutes all of a sudden there are people everywhere. Its like I was teleported to a different server that has been playing the entire time. After the round ended everyone had 0 kills/deaths/points. It's like none of it even happened.

Looking for servers it seems most of them are empty in a region with just one or two fully loaded. I don't know if the server browser is broke or its really like that.

Vehicle controls are clunky and feel strange. I guess thats just how Battlefield is anymore. You can't have good motion mechanics out of the gate.

The map is poorly laid out. You have a flag way off on its own, tons of open space in between then a flag or two then a cluster of flags. You have a mountain top perfect for snipers to snipe into the enemy spawn, just like in Hardline. I guess map design is just too tough anymore to spread things out some and provide cover for a spawn area.

So far I am very unimpressed with the game because of these issues. It's only been a couple hours though, will try it out more later.
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Yeah, Im going to wait on this one.

I was finally able to spawn into a server with weapons and played some rounds and the overall game is responsive, but its just lots of running around and everything is so tight except for E out in the open. You have teams of snipers in the mountains as usual. No revives. No ammo. No meds. I tried to be a medic for a while and people dont give you time to revive them.

That's not a game issue, that's just people. I did go into another server and had no weapons again. I could be killed just fine.

The games not ready. I will probably try a few more rounds, but Im not buying a game with these kind of problems. Im tired of it.

Comment

OK, so a patch was released the other day, server side, that fixed the spawn with no weapons issue. After that and trying out other features and settings I think the game will be stable at launch, unlike how BF4 and Hardline turned out.

The things I liked about the game:
            Looks great
            Nice interfaces once you get used to them
            Dynamic weather (sandstorm one map, fog the next, sunny day the next, etc...)
            Squad selection
            Door and window interaction
            Manned guns and cannons throughout the map
            Destructible earth. You can make a lot of craters and ditches with dynamite.
            Overall destruction amount
            Sounds
            The weapon unlock system. As long as they keep it accurate, its really nice.
            The spot system. Yeah, its still there, but its not so obvious and long lasting.
            The hud. Its clean and straight forward. Not everything is in your face.
            Mini-map and spawn capture area.

The things I didn't like about the game:
            Noises. I was in a server by myself and mounted on a machine gun and I heard footsteps and gear rattling. Im standing still. I actually checked the scoreboard to see if I was alone.
            Broken noises. Sometimes you hear climbing a ladder, sometimes you dont. Sometimes you hear the plane. Sometimes you dont. Sometimes you hear the horse, etc...
            The constant dramatic music in the game. PLEASE let us turn this off!
            Glitches. Tons of vehicle and soldier glitches. Knife kill glitches. Charging glitches.
            Revive system. This idea of a quick spawn to get back into the action? You serious? And then have to hit Q to tell medics you want a revive? What?
            Commo Rose. It's slow and clunky. I get they are trying to add more options in it, but there has to be actual communication sometimes. I know gamers just want to talk about each others mom.
            Bullet spread/deviation. I just don't understand this. After all the BF4/Hardline changes about it and frustration I guess its still a good idea for someone somewhere.
            Still killed around corners or after taking cover. Thats just the power of Frostbite and will be in every Battlefield that uses it.
            This specific map design. LARGEST BF MAP EVER!!!1111!!1 Yeah, with 70% less used space and this tight cluster area for most the combat. Thanks?

I don't think I will get to try out the beta much more. The last patch that fixed some of the main issues really put me back on the fence. I was really against it but now that it's sorted out some, it may be OK. Which when you think about that, that's still a bit sad. Maybe its me though.

Comment

RE: The map size.

I really, really don't know why they didn't use the map that was played during the alpha. It was about a thousand times better than this one is for the beta. Honestly, if this beta map was the only experience I had with the game, I would be pretty against the game as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Zipay View Post
                RE: The map size.

I really, really don't know why they didn't use the map that was played during the alpha. It was about a thousand times better than this one is for the beta. Honestly, if this beta map was the only experience I had with the game, I would be pretty against the game as a whole.
                Me too! The only reason why I didn't really blow up about this map was because I saw the other one. Talk about NOT putting your best foot forward. There are are a lot of vehicles on this map and its "the largest" so maybe it was to get feedback and feel for "true conquest", but man. For such a large map it sure is cramped.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                  Me too! The only reason why I didn't really blow up about this map was because I saw the other one. Talk about NOT putting your best foot forward. There are are a lot of vehicles on this map and its "the largest" so maybe it was to get feedback and feel for "true conquest", but man. For such a large map it sure is cramped.
                  My hope here is that they didn't want to get additional or duplicate feedback on just the one map that was in the alpha. I hope that they chose this map in order to get feedback that they will use to make appropriate changes prior to release. At least, that's what I hope.

I know that they were saying during the alpha they wanted to work on addressing as many of the issues and concerns people raised. So... guess I'll keep my fingers crossed?

For what it's worth, I still find it to be more enjoyable than any time I spent playing the Hardline beta and it's still leagues ahead of the Battlefield 4 launch. It's interesting that I never saw anything about the weapons disappearing when I played. However, I'm guessing that was a server stress issue or something they changed at some point? I have not played yet since the beta went open to everyone. It seems like that issue only showed up after the floodgates opened to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Zipay View Post
                    My hope here is that they didn't want to get additional or duplicate feedback on just the one map that was in the alpha. I hope that they chose this map in order to get feedback that they will use to make appropriate changes prior to release. At least, that's what I hope.

I know that they were saying during the alpha they wanted to work on addressing as many of the issues and concerns people raised. So... guess I'll keep my fingers crossed?

For what it's worth, I still find it to be more enjoyable than any time I spent playing the Hardline beta and it's still leagues ahead of the Battlefield 4 launch. It's interesting that I never saw anything about the weapons disappearing when I played. However, I'm guessing that was a server stress issue or something they changed at some point? I have not played yet since the beta went open to everyone. It seems like that issue only showed up after the floodgates opened to the world.
                    Yeah, the game seems to be a lot more stable overall and more weapon balanced than BF4 or Hardline. It is still a bit quirky, but its not near as bad as either of those.

I dont know what the deal was with the weapon thing. That was my very first two load ins and I thought maybe I didnt set up the kits correctly or I didnt check a box, but when I went into a third server I had them. Later they were gone again in a rush map. I didn't even have hands It was just open space in front of me with no shooting. I couldn't even throw grenades. Yesterday though it never happened again and someone else mentioned that it was patched after a late release update on the server side.

Comment

Yeah I had more fun with it than I did with hardline, and I like it much more overall for being different and unique. I'm still really pissed about the skip revive... got to play some more hours and still didnt get or see anyone get revived (almost no one playing as medic also).
                      I agree with you guys on every point. I also find myself always spawning in the top flags because the others are so far away from everything. As much as I was excited I will also wait on it.

Comment

I dont know, after playing the scout and medic role I really enjoyed those and had a lot of fun. Maybe Im just not an assault guy in BF1.

DICE said they plan to nerf the light tank, so that thing will be useless on release.

After the beta Ive been thinking about it a few days and after the first day I had a lot of fun. I think if anyone got it I don't think they will be disapointed, like BF4 was.

Comment

So server option rumors are blowing up on BF1.

The rumor right now is that the servers are all going to be "virtualized" and "locked down" to the point that you can rent a server and change its name and some game modes and that's about it. You cannot stream things, like punkbuster databases, or use RCON tools, like the tools that auto-balance servers, give stats, use ping limiters, and such.

It's just shy of the IW.net fiasco in that there are servers, but everything is so locked down it doesn't make sense to rent one.

I dont know, it's just really going around right now and we should hear something more soon.

Comment

I had the same experience with server bugs, and spawning in with no weapons so I just jumped in a car and started driving over enemies because they couldn't shoot back
                            "Crunch's First Officer"
                            twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Holy moly, I hope that doesn't happen. As much as I don't like servers with fast vehicle respawn, I do wish to have servers with limited player slots because I am not a big fan of 64 players in a map, choosing to go to the same flag

Comment

Working...
                              X