$60 PC games unacceptable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $60 PC games unacceptable

I remember the old school ps2 days where a $60 games was unheard of... nowadays it's standard to pay $60+$5 for a console game. The PC route has been different, when the 360 launched and first tried $60 they found people were willing to pay. So when the PS3 came out it followed suit.

The PC market in my opinion is a very different crowd. It's a different type of gamer and $60 games don't flow with this crowd. With such a large piracy rate which is basically unstoppable right now, i feel setting prices higher are only making people for susceptible to wanting to pirate games.

It first drew my attention upon seeing Crysis 2 for $60. I know we all know the PC version is better, however, all PC counter-parts are better then there console brothers. Even if it's the same game the graphics are always a notch up on a computer. Most PC games don't break the $60 mark, even big title games like the total war series is only $50. I find many multi-platform games set their prices to $60 for PC as-well and it just turns me away. I remember seeing Mafia 2 at bestbuy for $65+tax which is just ridiculous but that is prob just bestbuy.

My question to you guys is...is it acceptable that PC gaming is starting to follow suit and charge console game prices($60+)?

Re: $60 PC games unacceptable

Buy on the web, it's cheaper. I'm not in the US though but the price for PC games is still not as high as consoles games (10€ higher on PS3/Xbox360 games).

Comment

That said, PC games should still be cheaper than console games because they dont need to pay a licensing fee to Sony/MS/Nintendo

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki

That said, PC games should still be cheaper than console games because they dont need to pay a licensing fee to Sony/MS/Nintendo
        Good one. I just have one thing to comment on in addition to inflation adjusted price.

The cost of developing games of 2000 standard is also very different from 2011 standard. It simply costs more to develop games today due to increased quality and royalty fee. The only reason that games didn't go up twice the price is because the base has been broaden in the past 10 years. That is, they now sell 10 times more games than they used to be. So the margin gets razor thin. Given some point in time they have to raise price of new games.

Comment

There are a few things you can do about it.

1. Complain- which wont change anything or anyones mind in the Publishers marketing system and how its setup.
          2. Only support games of $50 or less price tag.
          3. Only buy games when they reach the price they should be, if they ever do.
          4. Give up gaming.

It doesnt matter what the price was X number of years ago or what reasons they give on why they raised the price. It doesnt even matter who raised the price. What are YOU going to do about it? Are you going to stand by your decision on whatever price is justified or are you going to cry to the internet how unfair it is while you go out and buy it for the $60 they have asked?

BF3 was 49.95 and sometime in the last week they raised it to $59.95. So what are you going to do about that?

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Or you could do what ive done, and give up on gaming all together.

Comment

im not going to buy bf3 on release if it is 60. only if they show me something really really damn good that it's worth the 60

Comment

We Aussie have been paying $100 for ten years+,Duno why even when our dollar was better than USA dollar.Even now when our dollar is 1.02 we still pay $100:hmm:

Even BF booster packs cost Australians more than anyone in the world!,what are we rich or something?

Comment

um, I didn't buy BF3 for 60 dollars. I payed much less and I got free content

You guys are starting to sound like my grandpa. "I'm not paying that for a coke It used to be 5 cents."

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                    We Aussie have been paying $100 for ten years,Duno why even when our dollar was better than USA dollar.Even now when our dollar is .98 we still pay $100:hmm:

Even BF booster packs cost Australians more than anyone in the world!,what are we rich or something?
                    Yeah, I saw "$60 games? Yes please!"

well in all seriousness, we have been. Before I left NZ I found that our old copy of crash bandicoot 2 still had a pricetag, which read "$95.99". that was the late 90's... I wonder how much they charge for games in NZ now... I heard it gets up to $140 some places...

Comment

yes std shogun here is $99 and aparently $133 in newsheepland.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                        yes std shogun here is $99 and aparently $133 in newsheepland.
                        And thats not because of taxes or tariffs your government has put on it?

I would think thats why. I dont know though.

Crunch

Comment

I'm not surprised BF3 went to $60 because it's a multiplat game, however, I won't pay $60 because if you do enough research online you'll find the right price im just saying that it's becoming more common for PC game prices to be $60 and when PS4 + Xbox 720 come out I heard game prices will hit $70 and I wonder if PC will follow as well.

@Spikey There is not a single game right now on PC you can't pirate and play, it's pretty crazy. No DRM, or key # has been able to stop pirating and as of right now it's unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker
                            @Spikey There is not a single game right now on PC you can't pirate and play, it's pretty crazy. No DRM, or key # has been able to stop pirating and as of right now it's unstoppable.
                            That holds true on console as well, they just dont want to admit it.

Crunch

Comment

If you think $60 is bad now wait until the next gen of consoles come out. It will take more money to develop a game and therefore they will raise the price again to probably 70 dollars. Then after a few years they will raise the price of the pc games again. And then Stryker will come back and make another thread about 70 dollar PC games being unacceptable. It is an unending cycle my friend that is not likely to go away any time soon. That is until we have another video game crash like in '83 because of the crap games and the loss of consumer confidence in the game developers.

Here is a quote from the article I linked to:

"There were several reasons for the crash, but the main cause was supersaturation of the market with hundreds of mostly low-quality games which resulted in the loss of consumer confidence"

When will it end?

Comment

Working...
                              X