Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: just an observation

Originally posted by Amaranthuse
    DICE is always pioneer in first person shooter, they always have fresh ideas.

BF2 I think was the first modern combat game in the years that were mostly WWII. Weapon unlocks.

BF2142 introduces Titan game mode, which is completely unheard of.

BFBC2, Rush mode, removes health and stamina bar, variety of weapon choices, add ons.
    When DICE came out with BF2 it totally made value rethink Team Fortress 2. Old screenshots of TF2 looked exactly like BF2 yet they began work 1st. So DICE had a great modern warfare game with playable vehicles and Value watched Pixar's "Incredibles" and said "eureka!!! That's how we'll change TF2!"

http://http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/ima...4012023429.jpg

Comment

Where are these old photos of pre cartoon TF2?

Comment

"look at who the game is aimed at, a 13 year old's and adult with ADD attention span isn't long enough to not get frustrated if they have to travel more than 15 seconds into battle. "ugh this is boring, I've been running for ever... back to COD". "

LOL Agreed!!!! BC2 could have easily had Squad leaders and commanders with the "Tab" key giving you the server info and the option to make it a favorite along with a lot of other pc based features that console could never follow but I can only guess that EA is too lazy to make a title game that caters to each platform.

Actually I believe that they did do this when BF2 came out. The game was called Battlefield Modern Combat and was console only but since it came out about the same time COD 4 did, it did not do well. This may be the reason they chose this path of least resistance but I think that they should realize that there is a market for a full on PC based game that caters to the more mature crowd. I mean seriously, who does well on the PC???? Definitely not the kiddies. That's why they are usually the ones who hack.

Children, go back to your little x boxes and PS3's. You'll have more fun there.

Comment

I'm pretty sure BF:MC came out way before CoD4 did.

Comment

In fact, I think BF2:MC came out closer to CoD2.

Like, the same week/day. Which would explain the poor sales somewhat.

And before the 360 even came out.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
              In fact, I think BF2:MC came out closer to CoD2.

Like, the same week/day. Which would explain the poor sales somewhat.

And before the 360 even came out.
              Actually yea this.

Comment

Just reread that essay I did and I thought I'd post this in case DICE is listening:

Strategy, Tactics, and a Fluid Battlefield

Let’s get the definitions (as they relate to BF1942) out of the way. A strategy is the overall plan that would solve the problem of winning the match. Tactics are a plan on how to tackle a certain situation pertaining to your player at a specific instant. So in BF1942, one could say that you would need to find a tactical advantage against a foe if faced with a fight. One could also say that you would need a strategic advantage overall to win the round.

A fluid battlefield means that things change. As an example: Two dark-ages armies running as two groups at each other in an open field is a static battlefield (relative to the next example). Two modern and sophisticated armies using a massive terrain and variable control points and thus variable assets means the fight is never, even five minutes later. This is a fluid battlefield and thus forces adaptation. Luckily we had 64 players, a variety of classes, and a variety of assets at hand to assist us in adapting (cheap shot I know).

Another thing that made BF1942 great was its diversification of tactics and strategy. (On a side-note, a third thing that made BF1942 great was that you didn’t have to use tactics and strategy at all – you could just run around with a knife and stab random vegetation and marine life – whether real or imagined.)

Ah yes who could forget the questions and value weighing as one did every second of a BF1942 match. Oh that’s right – most players did. It’s true. A good game can be graded on how much computing the human brain must do -- assessing a situation, coming up with solutions, weighing risks and rewards of each solution, and executing the best plan. A good game won’t allow you to realize you are doing all of this math in your head. You’re just drooling at the mayhem.

The frequency of such skull-computation is also something we can grade BF1942 on at an excellent level. Because of the fluid nature of the battlefield and all the variables involved (e.g. – the 63 people in front of you), BF1942 stressed the need for a person to make tactical decisions on plans of attack, possible threats, fight or flight weights for each possible threat, relative positions of known friendlies, among other considerations. In your head this is always happening and it’s easily forgotten about (because it’s a damn good game!).

Again, you could always just be a sniper, find a hill, and not think at all. )@#*% snipers. Diversification.

The fact that your asset count and variety was tied to the number of control points, the strategic decisions of the entire team must be adapted as well. It’s an ever-evolving plan that changes until the last ticket is lost. Again the variety of gameplay options in BF1942 meant that one could try an almost infinite number of tactics and strategy to achieve a goal. As the battlefield was open and free, one could create their own goals and thus the strategy and tactics to complete that goal. A more generalized class system means less variety and variables that force a player to make critical decisions. As specialization and variety decrease, so do the options for the player.

And in the end – isn’t that what replay value is all about? Variety means the experience will never be the same, and the tactic that worked yesterday may not work today. I can’t tell you how many times I came in first on a server because I found something that worked only to find the strategy well defended against the next day.

What made BF1942/2 great? Convoys of tanks and support vehicles. Epic air battles visible to any grunt on the ground. Sneaking around sabotaging the other team in various ways. Landing a loaded boat onto a beach. Camping in a guard tower just to spectate. Seeing bombs landing right where you want them right when you need them. Stealing a tank from an engineer fixing it. Getting kicked from servers because you had a better strategy than the admins.

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

it made me cry :'(
                  so many true things combined

Had to shorten so the quote wouldnt be huge xD

Comment

LEAVE THE AIRCRAFT ALONE!!!!

INVULNERABLE CHOPPERS WILL ONLY BRING BACK THE CHOPPER WHORES AND THE STAT PADDERS. THAT KILLED BF2 FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE.

Comment

Originally posted by AKULA
                      LEAVE THE AIRCRAFT ALONE!!!!

INVULNERABLE CHOPPERS WILL ONLY BRING BACK THE CHOPPER WHORES AND THE STAT PADDERS. THAT KILLED BF2 FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE.
                      Man thats so true..

Comment

Working...
                      X