Perks worth taking and avoiding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perks worth taking and avoiding!

Well from my experience playing so far i have found that a lot of the perks dont actually do what they say they do. From various player feedback i have produced a list of perks that you are better off taking or better off avoiding and why:

AVOID!

Scavenger:
    Simply, you start off with enough ammo to down a fair few amount of enemies and its very rare you live long enough to need more ammo. Its also made pointless by the fact that if you run out of ammo you can just pick up any of the guns laying around that the enemy or your team mates have dropped.

Hardened:
    Although it states that there is extra bullet penetration when using this perk, it doesn't actually provide anything greater than being able to shoot through a thin sheet of metal, which some of the higher power assault rifles AND SMGs can already do. So basically its not worth taking.

Ninja:
    Until the sound levels in regards to enemy footsteps and your own are fixed this is a completely pointless perk to take. Even when not using Ninja i have been able to sneak past enemy players at full sprint. Even when i myself had silent footsteps i couldn't hear anyone else walking around.

Tactical Mask:
    In essence this perk works very well and does exactly what it says it does. However the problem that makes this perk useless is that flashbangs, gas and concussion grenades are not used frequently enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe in more tactical games it can provide a better advantage.

Second Chance:
    Some may disagree with me on this one but i will give my reasons as to why to avoid this perk. Ever since CoD4 when Last Stand was introduced every player has adapted to shooting until the enemy player is down and out. Its no different in this game. Helped by the fact that most player shoot until they see the shiny +100 points there really isnt much advantage to taking this perk and wasting a valuable perk 3 slot.

Warlord:
    I myself love having 2 attachments on my weapons, especially as it allows me to stay silent whilst having a decent sight. However most of the guns in this game actually come straight out of the box with fairly decent sights that dont obstruct your view. Coupled with the fact that this game is too fast paced (and the spawning is borked) to warrant being a silent gunner because you will simply get ambushed in 30 seconds time anyway. So imo having 2 attachments is just overkill.

WORTH TAKING!

Ghost:
    This perk is excellent to take if you plan on staying hidden and is especially good when coupled with a silenced weapon. Although the pro version of the perk can be difficult to get (sentry gun kill) the advantages of it are astronomical when it comes to having an enemy chopper gunner being called in. This imo is the best perk 1 slot to take.

Flak Jacket:
    CoD is as usual plagued with grenade spam and the introduction of the new RC-DX (which for those of you who didnt know has a boost feature) has made taking this perk quite an option. It substantially increases your likelihood of surviving most explosive attacks.

Hacker:
    I personally love this perk. There is nothing more satisfying than having someone complain at you for "hacking" because you could see where their claymore or sentry gun was hidden. The amount of times it has saved my life is impressive and it also has another handy feature. The ability to be able to see enemy equipment also gives you a pretty good idea as to where the enemy is being held up (especially when you see enemy claymores from across the map). The pro version of this perk also reels in the laughs with the ability to hack equipment and sabotage care packages

Thats just my opinions on some of the more useful and useless perks in the game. Others are of course welcome to their opinions

Re: Perks worth taking and avoiding!

i like having warlord only for the AK74su. because that gun has the grip. if it didn't, i would only use rapid fire on it as the gun just rapes with it. grip and rapid fire is pure win though.

Comment

Steady Aim: Don't bother aiming, get pro, go on a knifing spree.

Sleight of Hand: herp de derp I reload like a ninja

Marathon Pro + Lightweight pro: Capture that Flag.

And seriously guys this one is the best:

HARDLINE: Equip Sentry, SAM Turret and Care Package, get a 5 killstreak and basically you have 3 care packages that have better odds of getting something good because of Hardline Pro (if you didn't know, you can gamble and change what is in a care package, including one for a sam/sentry). I got Chopper Gunner, Rolling Thunder, Attack Dogs the other day, I lol'd!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
        AVOID!
        Hardened:
        Although it states that there is extra bullet penetration when using this perk, it doesn't actually provide anything greater than being able to shoot through a thin sheet of metal, which some of the higher power assault rifles AND SMGs can already do. So basically its not worth taking.
        I actually find Harderned rather useful, especially on Nuketown. I can just shoot through the wall in one house and the wall in the other house to kill campers in the upper level. The pro version also lessens the recoil when you're getting shot, so that helps for gun fights.
        Second Chance:
        Some may disagree with me on this one but i will give my reasons as to why to avoid this perk. Ever since CoD4 when Last Stand was introduced every player has adapted to shooting until the enemy player is down and out. Its no different in this game. Helped by the fact that most player shoot until they see the shiny +100 points there really isnt much advantage to taking this perk and wasting a valuable perk 3 slot.
        I agree for the most part, but there's no real stand out perk to use in slot 3. Second Chance gives you the opportunity to either get another kill (and maybe even a killstreak) or help you cap the hq/flag. The Pro version also let's others revive you, which is always useful
        Tactical Mask:
        In essence this perk works very well and does exactly what it says it does. However the problem that makes this perk useless is that flashbangs, gas and concussion grenades are not used frequently enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe in more tactical games it can provide a better advantage.
        The normal version of tact mask is rather useless, but the pro version can be very good. It reduces the effects of concussion/flash grenades, and also reveals the position of flashed/stunned ememies. The former, essentially lets you run straight through the flash/stun, which is good for nade spam (heh, coupled with scavenger and warlord).
        Warlord:
        I myself love having 2 attachments on my weapons, especially as it allows me to stay silent whilst having a decent sight. However most of the guns in this game actually come straight out of the box with fairly decent sights that dont obstruct your view. Coupled with the fact that this game is too fast paced (and the spawning is borked) to warrant being a silent gunner because you will simply get ambushed in 30 seconds time anyway. So imo having 2 attachments is just overkill.
        Agreed, since most guns do have good sights. However, if you're running a gun with a low mag size, and would like it supressed as well, extended (or dual if you like) mags + supressor can work well. The Pro version also gives you an extra lethal and tact grenade, which is useful for nade spam (Nuketown).

Comment

too be honest. It doesnt really matter what perks you pick majority of them you will get pro closer to 50 by which time it will be pointless if your on the Prestige train.

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
            too be honest. It doesnt really matter what perks you pick majority of them you will get pro closer to 50 by which time it will be pointless if your on the Prestige train.
            Exactly my thoughts, I was like, ok time to pro Scavenger, now I have done it and I am on rank 40 already... Pretty much have to stick with one perk setup for each prestige lol.

Comment

Hardened Pro is great, reduced flinch when being shot at helps a lot more than you might think, but I'm otherwise a bit disappointed by it. Even with hardened I've gotten sniper headshots through walls that weren't lethal. :S

Hacker Pro is the best thing ever. I can't play without it now.

Comment

Might give hardened another go simply for the flinching aspect of the pro version.

Comment

Scavenger: If I'm attached to my current weapon, I want to keep using it instead of swapping to something else. The crossbow is a good example. I like being able to restock it. I also usually plan on living long enough to kill enough people to need more ammo.

Hardened: This one has already been discussed. Being able to kill the guy hiding behind a real wall, not just a piece of sheet metal, is a valuable option.

Ninja/Pro: I hear footsteps fairly well, and use them to locate people. If they have Ninja, I can't hear them. I assume the inverse is true. Ninja Pro helps me hear enemies even better. Being able to sneak up to arm/defuse the bomb in a pile of bodies with Ghost Pro and Ninja Pro, with enemies all around, can be hilarious.

Tactical Mask + Flak Jacket = win in objective gametypes.

Second Chance: While I generally hate the perk, it can be useful in hardcore modes to get a quick revenge and screw over the guy who put you down. It's also pretty sweet in Domination where you keep capturing the flag as long as you're still alive.

Warlord: Being a silent gunner with extended mags can be VERY useful in objective modes.

Ghost, Flak Jacket, Hacker, Steady Aim, Sleight of Hand are all great, but they aren't the only viable options.

Comment

I think people are overestimating the actual use of hardened. Other than the pro side of it i dont find it very useful myself. I did some tests earlier with a friend whilst using hardened and not using hardened and we actually found that all the assault rifles other than the commando and the Enfield had the same penetration with or without the perk.

Comment

I got hardened pro in this prestige and was massively disappointed, I was expecting very minimal flinch whilst being shot, but it's still enough to stop you getting a kill.

Comment

Yea i didnt really notice any difference when using it either

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                          Scavenger:
                          Simply, you start off with enough ammo to down a fair few amount of enemies and its very rare you live long enough to need more ammo. Its also made pointless by the fact that if you run out of ammo you can just pick up any of the guns laying around that the enemy or your team mates have dropped.
                          Scavenger is on all my classes. What is the point of customizing your gun exactly how you want to if you use it for a few kills and then throw it away for someone elses? I made my gun fit my play style best, so I want to keep it. I live long enough to need new ammo every few lives or so if I don't have scavenger. Without it, I have to carefully make sure I use my ammo. With it, I can spray a clip into a wall if I want and not worry about not having enough ammo. Especially since the AUG and some SMGs run out of ammo fast.

Oh, and you also get unlimited grenades.

Hardened:
                          I use this on the AUG and AK47, and it makes a huge difference. It stopped using it for warlord for a few rounds and I realized that people weren't going down so easily behind walls. I was still getting the kills, but not as many, and sometimes the enemies were able to turn around and kill me. With hardened on these guns, killing people behind walls is just like killing people in the open.

Warlord:
                          I don't use this on many classes, but I love being able to have a silencer and a RDS or extended mags. As I was talking about in scavenger, I design the gun to how I play. Sometimes being able to have multiple attachments is great.
                          WORTH TAKING!

Ghost:
                          This perk is excellent to take if you plan on staying hidden and is especially good when coupled with a silenced weapon. Although the pro version of the perk can be difficult to get (sentry gun kill) the advantages of it are astronomical when it comes to having an enemy chopper gunner being called in. This imo is the best perk 1 slot to take.
                          Nope. Ghost should be avoided IMO. So you don't show up on the UAV. Still doesn't mean people can't see. Maybe you will get a few extra kills and die a few times less, but it doesn't give you that much of an advantage. And enemy choppers are so rare that it is not needed. And when it does come, just run inside. I have only been killed by choppers a few times. And when I am in a chopper, I can still see people without ghosts. They just don't have a red diamond
                          Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                            Nope. Ghost should be avoided IMO. So you don't show up on the UAV. Still doesn't mean people can't see. Maybe you will get a few extra kills and die a few times less, but it doesn't give you that much of an advantage. And enemy choppers are so rare that it is not needed. And when it does come, just run inside. I have only been killed by choppers a few times. And when I am in a chopper, I can still see people without ghosts. They just don't have a red diamond
                            Disagree, when a spy plane comes up pretty much every enemy focuses on the minimap, not showing up gives you a massive jump on the enemy and with a silencer, all of the allies of the enemy you just killed won't come jumping to you. It pretty much gives you a big edge. Ofcourse against better opposition it won't work but the quality of blops players is pretty low from what I have seen.

Comment

i liked ghost pro a lot but i changed to lightweight pro as soon as i got it. no fall damage is just too awesome to pass up.

Comment

Working...
                              X