Battlefield 3 Will Get Extra PC Attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 3 Will Get Extra PC Attention

I was very sad when I first heard that BF3 will be ported to console, but the following made me very happy:

"It is fairly well known by now that DICE has been working on Battlefield 3 since at least last year. We haven't heard much about the officially unannounced title, and while this isn't really news I'm sure a DICE employee merely saying 'Battlefield' and '3' in the same sentence should excite most.

A couple weeks ago DICE Senior Gameplay Designer, Alan 'Demize99' Kertz tweeted that him as well as other Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2 veterans are working on Battlefield 3.

Aside from that, Mr. Kertz also made a post in the EA UK forums explaining how weapons were tweaked on console and PC in Bad Company 2. He talks about how PC needs special attention and intends to give Battlefield 3 just that. There is still hope for us PC players.

Early on BFBC2 our PC playtest feedback showed that weapon feeling was lacking. It just wasn't as much fun to shoot the guns on PC as on console. With controls being the big gameplay difference (mouse vs pad) it quickly became clear that simply put the original weapon tweaks, which were done on the PS3, weren't working on PC. The guns all had a bit of base inaccuracy, that with a gamepad wasn't really noteworthy, but on PC it really prevented players from taking advantage of the mouse input. On 2142 one of the key things about the guns is that they were all deadly accurate, they lost damage over range sure, but if you could put the crosshairs on the target you could hit it. Sure, some people feel like an AR should be more accurate than an SMG or carbine. I feel like the issue is "ARs should be better at range" and thus, they do better damage over range than the SMGs.

In response to the feedback on PC, I completely retweaked the accuracy. The next playtest it was immediately obvious that it was a change for the better, and surprisingly it also made gamepads feel much better as well.

Fundamentally I think it is an error to have different core gameplay on console vs PCs. PC gives a player more input control and if a gun feels good on PC it feels good on console. I won't "dumb it down" by lowering the recoil or changing the damage model or other such silliness.

PC and Console Battlefield players want similar gameplay: Epic sprawling Battlefields, and also tight infantry fights. Balanced weapons and land/sea/air vehicles with a rock-paper-scissors emphasis. Squad and teamplay, where no one player can be a do-it-all super soldier, and communications systems to support teamplay. And a deep and rewarding system of progression with deep and varied gameplay that keeps you wanting to go 1 more round. Everyone also wants it to be easy to play with their friends.

Consoles generally are less tolerant of overly complex interfaces. They have less buttons, you need more elegant interfaces. Deep systems work well though if they have a straight forward interface. The fun is not in figuring out how to use the system, it's in figuring out how to best use the system.

PC players have their own set of requirements. They tend to play only on PC, and they know their PCs have capabilities beyond that of a console. The gap is narrowing, but PCs still have a clear advantage in memory. PC players also demand a PC interface, a server browser, and anything that feels like it might have been "ported" from a console is going to get flamed hard. They are more forgiving of complex systems and will tear any design down into its parts to really figure out how it works. It's a damn sight harder to please a PC player, they have higher expectations.

It's too early to talk BF3 specifics. But it's never too early for me to acknowledge that PC players have a fear that BF3 will be "consolized." PC gaming is alive and well, BFBC2 has proven that and no one at DICE or EA can argue with the numbers. Battlefield 3 needs an extra bit of special attention on the PC. I intend to give it that attention, tradition and our community demand it."

Re: Battlefield 3 Will Get Extra PC Attention

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Comment

3rd or 4th time already :laugh:

Comment

.......... I posted this already.

Comment

"PC and Console Battlefield players want similar gameplay(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE DONT!): Epic sprawling Battlefields(YES), and also tight infantry fights(Small maps?)" Not happening Dice, If BF3 doesnt have the same or larger maps then bf2 as-well as 64 players or more, no buy, not even on sale for $5.

I bought BC2, and it was okay, to say the least it was VERY VERY consolized, just the fact u have the bc2 people on the BF3 makes me worried. Idk why, i'm sorry if I come off as aggressive to other forum readers, but i am very mad to watch this game going where it is going. Although it is to early to really tell, you can speculate to a good degree based on their own words that BF3 Console vs PC, will be VERY similar games, with PC getting, as stated by Demize I believe, " a little extra attention," yup, just a little! 360 and PS3 both have system specs of a 5 year old system, you know what was released 5 years ago..Battlefield 2. My hopes have long been dashed that this will truly be a BF2 Sequel, and more BF2 meets BC2, ie small maps, (thinking 32 man size BF2) and probably 48 man max aswell. I'd also like to say I hope im DEAD WRONG, like embarrassed totally off kinda wrong, Pleaseee Dice make me WRONG!

I'd like to recommend on a side note, having not played bf2 in well over a year I jumped on it and had a blast so if BF3 fails hard bc its just bad company 3; return to BF2, by now you can run everything max and im telling you the gameplay is amazing. For those who haven't tried it, you can get the complete set for like $20 prob less.:thumbsup:

Comment

will the PC version be customized for a mouse and keyboard? IW made sure MW2 was!

Comment

Originally posted by (BG)Patton
              will the PC version be customized for a mouse and keyboard? IW made sure MW2 was!
              How dare you ask of so much?!?!?!

Comment

Don't forget custom graphics options. Resolution + high/medium/low settings might even get added in as a bonus!

Seriously, from Demize99 "extra attention" just means he'll scorn, belittle, and mock PC gamers more than the other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
                  Seriously, from Demize99 "extra attention" just means he'll scorn, belittle, and mock PC gamers more than the other platforms.
                  how dare he? \0/, mac and Linux users WILL be pooped

lol

Comment

The console is lost for DICE, they should concentrate on their strength, the PC, the scale, the realism, the PC community still loves them.

Don't ruin it like IW did with MW2, DICE.

Comment

BF2 is the best Game Ever.
                      Jets,Choppers ,Tanks,APC,Boats,Commanders,Artillery everything.
                      I hope keep same Gameplay and style in BF3 if not will not be a real BF Game.
                      Bad Company 2 IS NOT BF Game,is more a COD Clone Game with stupid Vehicles.
                      Real BF spirit needs Big maps Jets etc.That is BF and that make the diference with other Games.

Comment

Change the record !!!

Comment

Originally posted by (BG)Patton
                          what is a mouse and a keyboard!?!?!??!!??!

Comment

Unless BF3 stays true to 1942/Vietnam/BF2, I wont be playing it. Its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Dronetek
                              Unless BF3 stays true to 1942/Vietnam/BF2, I wont be playing it. Its that simple.
                              You "forgot " BF2142, although that seems to happen for a lot of BF2 fans.

But if you are wearing those glasses, couldnt you argue that BF2 failed to stay true to BF1942? Fewer vehicles, no ships etc.
                              I predict that BF3 will be just as different to BF2 as BF2 was to BF1942.

Comment

Working...
                              X