Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shogun Total War 2!

Found this article:

Sega has been teasing the release of an all-new Total War game for the last week or so, with a full reveal set for E3. Looks like their cover may have been blown by some sloppy pre-show organisation, however.

Booking some press visits for the upcoming trade event, Turkish site Oyungezer says it was pencilled in by Sega Europe for a 2:30pm appointment to talk about Shogun 2: Total War. A game that, as of May 2010, does not exist in the public consciousness.

Many people had hoped for this ever since Creative Assembly said it was "returning to its roots" with the next Total War, and they'll no doubt be as happy with a remake of Shogun as they were with the excellent remake of Medieval: Total War.

Me, though, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I really dig the gunpowder combat (not the type found in Shogun and Medieval, proper guns) and global trade in Empire, and was hoping the next full game would build on this and present us with a Victorian-era title, complete with British Empire, American Civil War and the Franco-Prussian tussle. Guess not!

I say, "ABOUT TIME!" Tens of thousands of us have been waiting for this forever and hopefully its true. If CA and Sega do it right, it will be an excellent game. Of course with their issues with trying to make an intellegent AI and constant DLC, it may make things worse, I dont know.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you rather see it continue to be "future" instead?

Source

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Re: Shogun Total War 2?

hell yes, I just hope to god they have spent a lot more time on the AI this time, it took a hell of a lot of worth from stuff like Darthmod to get the AI going well and even then it should have been developed way better by CA

I hope they make a Rome 2 Total War next and flesh out the other factions as much as the Romans

Comment

Im glad they are going back to mele, it works out so much better on the the Total war game engines. Shogun had some badass looking units too

Comment

I was hoping for Caveman: Total War.

Joking aside I can't say I'm excited about this at all. I really want Medieval 3 tbh. Might sound to soon but I think thats where the series reached its full potential campaign and battle wise.

Comment

Shogun 2 Total War will be awesome. I started Total War since Rome. I haven't played Empire much and haven't got NTW yet. But I will come back to TW series after I get bored with BC2.

56,000 soldiers in a battle would be über un-freaking believable. Many historical battles were fought at this scale. Japanese battles during Sengoku era were usually smaller than this except for some late battles, such as Battle of Sekigahara and two sieges of Osaka. The Forth Battle of Kawanakajima betweeen Takeda Shingan and Uesugi Kensin was involved by around 30,000 to 40,000 soldiers from both sides.

If they can make battle of this scale online, then all I can say is OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG OMFG. Imagine 3v3 battle with each player controls 5,000 or so soldiers. The online battles will be epic "beyond belief".

Comment

Originally posted by Idaeus
            I was hoping for Caveman: Total War.

Joking aside I can't say I'm excited about this at all. I really want Medieval 3 tbh. Might sound to soon but I think thats where the series reached its full potential campaign and battle wise.
            I hate M2TW grand campaign. Campaigns in Kingdoms are much better IMHO. The grand campaign is too big and it takes 1.5 years per turn to do anything. I'd rather they have smaller time scale and faster pace, but constraint the players with scant economy so that resources and troops have to be employed sparingly and wisely.

Online battles of M2TW is more chaotic and disorder than RTW or ETW. Some people like it, and some people don't. I haven't try online yet figuring that I can't win any battle anyway.

Comment

The original Shogun was awesome as was the original MTW

Rome was sort of a turning point because it did blow me away when I played it, the pesky Romans were OP but meh, got to play as the Greeks or Carthage! The mods afterwards simply made it stunning, Extended Greek Mod etc, all made me love that game x9001

MTW2 sort of built on it, it had its problems (bat**** insane easy sometimes, ******* AI in terms of diplomacy) but again mods perfected it, Kingdoms was a welcome change in pace, but I myself loved long campaigns where I could bide my time and be very sneaky, Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod was my favourite, added a lot of stuff from Kingdoms to the grand campaign, like the factions and units etc

Empire I also love, the AI was dodgy at times but the setting was great, more mods especially DarthMod made it a lot better, AUM unit pack, AI still has huge flaws though and is sometimes braindead stupid

Despite my immense enjoyment of Empire I didn't go for Napoleon, for one because the AI was not improved and it didn't really attact my attention, especially given how the modders have been limited with Empire

its only a matter of time before I buy the next total war game I just hope they really put the effort into the AI this time, campaign wise it was great in Empire, it just lacked in battles

Comment

I think there is a napoleon demo that came out, honestly give it a ago. It is what Empire should have been.

Comment

Want

Haven't really played any of the other total war games as much as I played Shogun back in the day. Lets hope they don't **** it up.

Comment

Two screenshots of STW2 and they said its improved AI. Of course they say that every new TW game.

Actually, three screenshots but you have to manually click on the third one in the screeenshot viewer.

Crunch

Comment

Load of screens.

The boats look badass!

Comment

Re: Shogun Total War 2!

Those shots were a good find! With the detail they are doing and if they really improved the AI again (hopefully much more) then this may be a really good game.

Crunch

Comment

Here is a good article with someone that had some hands on with it.

Artists from The Creative Assembly have spent more than a year learning ancient Japanese ink brush and wood block techniques, just to create transition art for Shogun 2: Total War. Imagine the work going into the actual game.

Crunch

Comment

Huge fan of Medieval Total Wars 2 and Empire Total Wars 2.

I want World War I Total Wars LOL

Bring out the stupid rugged tanks.

Comment

I dont think the TW tactics can go any further in to the future than empire really. I'm not sure exactly when it happened but at some point before WW2 they stopped having commanders telling the troops exactly what to do and instead just gave the troops a goal and let them solve it themselves. Kinda.....

I still want Medieval 3 Total War. I think the medieval era is the best by far.

Comment

Working...
                              X