No announcement yet.

The truth about BC2's ironsights (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about BC2's ironsights (pics)

Inspired by "The hard facts about bf2 Aiming Reticule" by Verzili in the BF2 tips&tricks forum

Often I find myself in a situation where, despite aiming perfectly, every shot fired misses. After playing about with the guns, I found out that the ironsights are not all lined up correctly. With some of the guns, you would end up firing over someone's head at a distance, even though your sights were dead on center-mass. This gives the feeling that some guns just don't register hits, or that you're "firing blanks".

You can test this out yourself. Get a misaligned gun like the G3 and aim it as pictured (Atacama Desert, US Spawn, next to the AA cannon), fire once and note where your bullet hits. It's clearly not where the front sight is.

^If you aimed exactly at that spot, your bullet would hit the very top edge of the roof.

Important things to keep in mind when looking at these screenshots:
    • Every gun, when sighted in, sways. The tip of the front post moves in a circular or slightly figure-8 pattern. These screenshots were taken with the front post at the highest point of sway, thus putting the 3D ironsights closer to the true center, where the bullet comes from.
    • The crosshair I have overlaid is a portion of the GOL Sniper Magnum's scope which i cropped and colored in photoshop. The center of the cross is black to show a more accurate "true center". It is not a hack, overlay, or cheat of any kind. I do not see the crosshair ingame.
    • The screenshots were cropped and enlarged 2x.
    • In my opinion, the ironsights aren't misaligned to compensate for bullet drop. One reason I believe this is that the bullet drop is not dramatic enough at even extreme engagement ranges to warrant such a large gap between the bullet origin and 3D ironsight. It also doesn't explain why only some of the sights are misaligned and others are fine.

The Goods:

ASSAULT:

AEK-971

XM8

F2000

STG.77 AUG

AN-94 AKBAN

M416

M16A2

ENGINEER:

9A-91 AVTOMAT

SCAR-L

XM8 SMG

ASK-74U KRINKOV

UZI

PP-2000 AVTOMAT

UMP-45

MEDIC:

PKM

M249 SAW

TYPE 88

M60

XM8 LMG

MG36 Note: I darkened the red dot of the scope and made the cross more transparent for better readability

MG3

RECON:

M24

TYPE 88 SNIPER

SV98 SNAIPERSKAYA

SVU

GOL

VSS

M95

ALL KITS:

RED DOT Note: the red dot "jitters" around a lot so it was difficult to get a perfectly centered screenshot. It is, indeed, perfectly centered.

4X ACOG

THOMPSON

M14

G3

M1 Garand

M9

MP-443 GRACH

M1911

MP-412 REX

M93R

Re: The truth about BC2's ironsights (pics)

Good find. This is important in this game due to bullet drop. In real life, well, zero a rifle is more trickier. So, in shorter range, it might appear to be on top of the front sight, while in some other cases, below the front sight.

It's more obvious if you do long range sniping a lot with semi-autos.

Comment

Real life soldiers get optical sights standard.

G36 sight for the Bundeswehr.

Comment

Kudos to you for putting this together. Well done indeed.

Comment

Good observation. It looks like fast fixes.

Comment

I thought the g3s aiming was a little odd, but the one about the M416 is totally wrong IMO, it shoots where I want, at least for me. Not sure about the SCAR.

Comment

i take it red dot is perfectly lined up?

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheDiode
                Good find. This is important in this game due to bullet drop. In real life, well, zero a rifle is more trickier. So, in shorter range, it might appear to be on top of the front sight, while in some other cases, below the front sight.

It's more obvious if you do long range sniping a lot with semi-autos.
                I can understand zeroing the sights for long range, except none of the other rifles are zeroed in this way. However, I will do some testing tonight as I play to see if the sights actually can be used as a long-range zero. I tend to not use the misaligned weapons and when I do it's usually >150m

Kalo: I've also noticed that the M416 seems to fire where the front post is, and I've never had problems with it myself, either. I'll double check it for you after I type this up.
                EDIT: Double checked it, put up a new image against a white BG. It is in fact misaligned that much.

Minmaster: Yep, the red dot, 4x, and all sniper scopes are lined up.

Everyone else: Thanks! :thumbsup:

ALSO!!!
                If anyone else wants to take a few screens of the guns that are misaligned (at their individual resolution) as well as a screenshot of the GOL magnum scope, I can check the alignment to make sure it's not resolution dependent.

Comment

With respect, I don't see a video with proof RMS, I was just using the M416 today and I never had any issue. It's not that I seriously doubt this (Who remembers the BF2 MG36?) but as it stands now it's any ones word against yours.

This is more of me actually wanting proof so I know to use the XM8, more than it is trying to call you out and appear like an internet badass

Comment

BF2 has always had this same problem, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this information was close to accurate.

If you want proof, try taking one of those sniper rifles where the accuracy is good, put a piece of black tape on your monitor and then go through the guns and see which ones the black piece of tape doesn't line up with. The model of the gun including the sight is just that, a model, and with battlefield games it isn't always accurately placed.

Comment

This seems to be very little in the way of variation. the REX is the only one that is really terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo
                        With respect, I don't see a video with proof RMS, I was just using the M416 today and I never had any issue. It's not that I seriously doubt this (Who remembers the BF2 MG36?) but as it stands now it's any ones word against yours.

This is more of me actually wanting proof so I know to use the XM8, more than it is trying to call you out and appear like an internet badass
                        I'll try to post a video example a bit later.

Edit:

Ok, it's later:

Keep in mind, this is how my game performs. At this point, I cannot be sure whether the misalignment is resolution based or an error on DICE's part...well, I guess either way it's DICE's fault, lol.

Comment

I don't see the M416 problem, seems fine to me.

Comment

I'll say it again:
                            Originally posted by R.M.S.1.3
                            If anyone else wants to take a few screens of the guns that are misaligned (at their individual resolution) as well as a screenshot of the GOL magnum scope, I can check the alignment to make sure it's not resolution dependent.
                            If you don't have any problems, I'd like to see a screenshot. I've shown my evidence and I'm interested in other people's evidence as well as I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Comment

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but at what resolution are you playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X