Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dice read if you browse here!

Originally posted by Scinto
    Stereotyping about consoles is bad and the majority of them are not kids or "retards" as you put it, with comments like that your showing yourself to have no clue about the console community nor its players and perhaps a "kid" yourself.
    honestly, thats crap. Playing on both my ps3 and xbox makes me sick most the time. I cycle through muting everyone the first chance I get because all i hear is high pitched 10 yr olds talking out their ***. For the retards part, yes people do not know how to play as a team, and everyone has the physical awareness of an infant. (not EVERYONE, but almost all) thats why I play on PC. Even playing socom 2 online back in the day was ridiculous.

Im not just defending pc, cause it has players like that too, but not nearly as many.

Comment

Originally posted by Webs961
      Puahahahahaha.

But seriously, this thread. Really.

Ok, time for me to go back to seriousland.

First of all, what makes this game a console port exactly? More importantly, how do you define a console port? I don't think any critic out there, fan or professional, has bothered to sit down and answer that seemingly simple question. In the purest sense, I seriously, seriously doubt that the team at DICE completely coded the XBox 360 version then turned around and changed controls for it, thereby creating a PC game. Things generally don't work like that.

Second of all, there will never be a "Second coming of BF2." Ever. I'm sorry, but games don't work like that, unless you just want them to add different weapons on the same engine and throw it back at you. By changing the engine of the game (and more importantly, what the engine is/is not capable of), you're going to fundamentally, and in this case radically, change the way the game is played. There was no real building combat in BF2, unless you consider Iron Gator. With this, you make an entire map like Karkand destructible (and, by the way, I doubt Frostbite could handle a map the size of Kark 64), and you radically change the flow of combat. Map designs have to change to accommodate the destructible environments such that gameplay still usually centers around certain areas. Weapons and hit registration behave differently, so now players must adjust to new weapons and learning how far to lead targets with these weapons.

So, in conclusion, if you're looking for BF2 2, you're going to be sorely disappointed, from now until forever more. With EA and DICE knowing how wildly successful BF2 is/was, do you honestly think they don't want to make a new-age clone of it and ship it out to customers? They'd be foolish not to try. But the point is, they can't release something to the market without some kind of new twist to it. Releasing the same game twice rarely, if ever, goes over well, even if it is on a new engine (I can only think of one counterexample off the top of my head).

EDIT: Oh, by the way, about the negative vs minus thing. Negative's denotation means strictly less than zero. However, someone many a moon ago screwed up and started using negative to mean less than one, and mathematicians rolled over in their graves. So, while it's technically wrong, it's not "wrong," mainly meaning I wouldn'tve corrected it in a TGN article back when I was the L.M. editor here. It's too well understood to mean between having more deaths than kills in the community, despite being incorrect usage, as much as that infuriates the Grammar Nazi inside of me.
      First of all a console port is where it was designed for the console, and then ported to the PC. A good example of a console port is Lost Planet. I've seen them so bad that they still state "Press X" to continue because the developer was just trying to make a quick buck. This is a better console port because it does actually have a server browser, and dedicated server support. It is still however still dumbed down pretty bad.

As for minus and negatives... When one says that generally people know what they mean, rather it was correct terminology or not. Its like how some people still to this day say "ain't" is not a word, when in fact it is a word now. Its just how you word something, people though because generally they are just on here to "be right" when this is a "forum" and anyone can have an opinion, have to post up corrections. Which is why I still will continue to say that anything less then a 1.00 KDR is negative, as in not a positive ratio.

This game is not BF2, but it is apparent this game as many others have, are a well indicator that the quality of pc games have gone down the crapper. There should be a law against release games this buggy, just like there is a law against selling someone automobile that breaks down over and over, that is called the lemon law. Its not the same case exactly but EA have put out several games that were even different developing teams, and they all end in the same way, needing a lot of work, and patches in order to work correctly.

BF3 will be similar to BF2, or else I won't buy it. If its like Bad Company, then they my as well call it Bad Company 3, rather then Battlefield 3.

Comment

Originally posted by [GU]LIZARD
        First of all a console port is where it was designed for the console, and then ported to the PC. A good example of a console port is Lost Planet. I've seen them so bad that they still state "Press X" to continue because the developer was just trying to make a quick buck. This is a better console port because it does actually have a server browser, and dedicated server support. It is still however still dumbed down pretty bad.
        Thats some of my view on a console port as well. The reason the browser doesnt work is because the consoles dont have one. The PC browser was made specifically for this game for PC. Demize or Repi mentioned that themselves in one of their tweets. They ported it over and then modified it for PC. The bugs that were found in the console versions were also found in the PC and some fixed before the beta. Probably because the code was the same. Yes, the console versions started on PC as well and moved over, but the design and development shows console actions, like the cut scenes, or hitting a button repeatedly to do something.

Also, as I have said many times, that doesnt make a game bad, but it is what it is. Also, again, this is my opinion and if you disagree with what a console port is, that is perfectly fine. Other great ports have been the Assassin Creed series, Batman:AA, the many sports games out there, and even Super Street Fighter. Valve has made some PC ports. Blizzard made a PC port of Starcraft to console. It works both ways.

Also, I am not a programmer or developer. All I have to go by to see if a game is a port is its feel and actions. BC2 may have been made for PC from scratch and the console entirely seperate, but its so close to the same, I dont see the seperate build of it.

As for Lizard, whenever BF3 comes out/around, wait for the beta or demo.

Crunch
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

they need to port 2142's browser . remember the settings for crying out loud! i don't want to check the boxes every single time!

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
            Thats some of my view on a console port as well. The reason the browser doesnt work is because the consoles dont have one. The PC browser was made specifically for this game for PC. Demize or Repi mentioned that themselves in one of their tweets. They ported it over and then modified it for PC. The bugs that were found in the console versions were also found in the PC and some fixed before the beta. Probably because the code was the same. Yes, the console versions started on PC as well and moved over, but the design and development shows console actions, like the cut scenes, or hitting a button repeatedly to do something.

Also, as I have said many times, that doesnt make a game bad, but it is what it is. Also, again, this is my opinion and if you disagree with what a console port is, that is perfectly fine. Other great ports have been the Assassin Creed series, Batman:AA, the many sports games out there, and even Super Street Fighter. Valve has made some PC ports. Blizzard made a PC port of Starcraft to console. It works both ways.

Also, I am not a programmer or developer. All I have to go by to see if a game is a port is its feel and actions. BC2 may have been made for PC from scratch and the console entirely seperate, but its so close to the same, I dont see the seperate build of it.

As for Lizard, whenever BF3 comes out/around, wait for the beta or demo.

Crunch
            this is how i see things

Comment

Being a fan of the BF series (especially BF 2), I was looking forward to this game, even if it wasn't a sequel to BF 2. I enjoy the game for what it is and for the most part, I do like it. I was hesitant about buying it because it is a console port, but after enough forum/news reading, it seemed to me that DICE took enough car to make it work on the PC.

That being said, the game does have some issue that need to be fixed and you wonder why they weren't caught during development/beta testing. I build maps for games (for fun), so I understand the basic work process. I know all bugs can't be caught, but the obvious one's should.

The other thing that is puzzling about DICE and other game makers as well (looks over at EPIC) is that they seem to forget what has worked in the past. BF 2's server browser is fairly weak, but BF 2142's browser was pretty nice. Why don't they remember what worked well and use it again. It puzzles me how many games can't get a server browser to work better than games that were made 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by [GU]LIZARD
                Dude its how negative is used. Its not a "Positive KDR" if its below 1.00. So if I said the temperature is in the negatives today, yes I'd be talking about minus however many degrees it is.

I am not redefining reality. Just stating exactly whats true. PC games have gone down hill dramatically, if this game would of came out back when PC games were quality, good games then we wouldn't of been bothered with this. The positive reviews from this game are because people whom have been playing MW2 were getting tired of it, and this is something new. So a lot of the MW2 guys are here playing this. Then there is your die hard BF fans as well. However even your die hard bf fans will tell you this is not the same game, just like this is certainly not the same forum it use to be back BF2 first came out. I can remember crowding on a teamspeak server back when GameWizard owned this site awaiting the BF2 Demo with more people then the Teamspeak client was capable of handling. People wouldn't of settled for this back then. Lot of the guys posting hateful things, or telling me to quit whining are new people.

I use to respect DICE, but EA is going to milk this series as long as possible. In case you guys haven't read they are now going to start selling "Longer Demos" so when you might get to play the beginning of a game before it comes out, if you pay. Then when the full game comes out you can pay for that to. EA are all about the money. They and a few other big companys are killing PC Games today. So again I say, pretend this is the greatest game in history, and that its bug free, and that DICE haven't lowered their standards at all.

My Xbox 360 plays DVD's and movies from off my PC. I very seldom actually play a game, and its not a gold account. When it first came out, I did have a gold account, in which I paid for a year of I believe all at once. I mostly play with buddies with two controllers I own a total of probably 4 games. One being the first Bad Company.
                Even using your definition of negative KDR; I already told you it's because deths are deaths, no matter what you do, you can no longer get killed 40 times, revided 39 times, and just get a single death count; you get all your 40 deaths tallied up against your kills. It has nothing to do with "skill" or a game "dumbed" down; it's just that now the KDR is an accurate measure of how many times you die vs how many times you kill; wich, I hate to say, it's EVERYTHING and th eonly thing that stat should mean.

The randomness in everything is the same randomness you got in BF2, 2142, 1942 and vietnam; what with air strikes, artillery and grenade spam.

It really bothers me when people talk about BF2's perfection, and forget the broken mess that game was, full of bugs and failures up until it's last patch.

It was fun yes; but it was never balanced, nor fixed completely.

Comment

It really bothers me when people talk about BF2's perfection, and forget the broken mess that game was, full of bugs and failures up until it's last patch.

It was fun yes; but it was never balanced, nor fixed completely.
                  This is truth. I've had more fun playing the AIX mod over the years than I ever did in vanilla BF2 and I was one of the few who actually enjoyed BF2142 and played it 20x more than I played BF2.

Comment

I agree i actually preferred 2142 to BF2 and played it probably twice as long.

Comment

This is all educational.

Comment

Well it is; bet you a beer if BF3 came out right now, as an exact copy of BF2 in maps and kits and mechanics, but with all the bugs gone; they'd still claim BF2 was "better". A lot of the "skill" in that game revolves around abusing the glitches and imbalance on kits. Just keeping this revive mechanic in all future BF games, deaths are deaths no matter what, would make it clearer most of the positive KDR players out there are not that godly after all.

Comment

Working...
                        X