Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Choppers are made of n000b.....so how do I activate the parachutes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Choppers are made of n000b.....so how do I activate the parachutes.

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
    I find your dislike for mods extremely strange, Sethonan. Before BF2142 came out, there were a number of really good mods out there which topped BF2 in terms of squadplay, map design, vehicle balance and infantry gameplay. Even hit detection. And differentiating between CS and CSS merely because one is developed by Valve? Really strange. Stats, friends or certain elements you dislike?

That "caffeine overdose" movement was only possible because the guns were ridiculously inaccurate. It was also why the better players, who can adapt quicker, turned to explosives and various combinations of non-firearms. COD4 has a number of similar restraints, yet it feels fluid, fast and responsive. You dont jump your *** out of trouble in that game, unless its in close range and to confuse enemies aim. This kind of jumping only works in games where you dish out relatively little damage per shot. Otherwise ridiculous restrictions need to be applied so the game feels like youre walking through mud. This was one of the crucial reasons why I never picked up BF2142 past beta and the demo. POE2 mod, weapons do similar damage compared to BF2, but because they are much more accurate (while still providing room for error once you let loose in full auto). So the game feels and plays in similar speed as BF2, but theres a major defensive/cautios aspect added to infantry play. If youre going to revive a dead soldier, you better smoke the area because you will be picked off from 100-150 metres, no problem. BF2-s appeal has always been in its casual and arcadeish approach to all-out war. Not once has there been a hint of realism. Which is why the game differs so much from PR and real life. That jumping, although unintended by devs, was the proper way to play if you wanted to cap flags, help your team to win, or win for yourself. It wasnt patched because it was unrealistic, it was patched because it was broken.

Developers themselves have said that the worst kind of community is a silent one, because by then nobody cares. Personally, I dont think DICE will change the game unless the casual majority, unable to fit in and adapt, will start complaining about something. It has been their policy for 5 years. But you only need to look at one thing- how many guides, strategies, longwinded posts about tactics and methods youve seen on this forum, 2 weeks after the release? This tells you that theres no learning curve here. Call of Duty 4 had TONS of research going on since day 1. BF2 has so many guides, that you can become a competent player by just reading through all of them (well, no, but at least you get no surprises...). Learning curve, Lord, is not associated with nuke dispencers. Its associated with depth of gameplay. So that by the end of the day, youre not going to be playing "for that next unlock" or "that next ribbon" or "that next KDR mark".

And finally, you mean Alliance of Valiant Arms?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8n5jii-HI
    Yes, alliance of valiant arms; micropayments thingy. Lots of fun on its objective based maps; and quakesque fun on deathmatch ones.

And it's not that I don't enjoy mods per se, they are just not the main reason I buy games on PC. I was a console player first and foremost, I'm more used to discard games if they are not up to snuff since back in the day, a broken game stayed broken. Now don't get me wrong; I like twitch games too, but I'm aware I don't have the time and haven't for some time now, to dedicate myself to the competitive aspect of those games. I played UT2004 until I was no longer able to have fun in a round. I did enjoy CS when it was released; played the hell out of it, but I wanted something more and so i went and looked for it; I never imagined it would turn out to be this big in the end.

What I mean when I say it didn't evolve as a game; is that CSS is basically the same game with a new engine, with a few tweaks here and there, so there was nothing new for me in the game. I'm far from a casual player, just can't dedicate myself to be a full time pro player; I play until the majority of the casuals leave, and the regulars outplay me or I hit my plateau in-game.
    Just like you said, I used and abused some of the tactics oyu mention; but I don't like to play that way; in the specific case of dolphin diving, I always knew it wasn't a problem with the proning itself, but the hitboxes getting screwed up; I could play that way to stay in the game, I just didn't enjoy it and left. Something similar happened with AA for me, I did imnvest time getting to know it and i have to tell you, there is apoint where the satisfaction of playing AA gunner is overrun by the frustration of knowing your contribution to the game is minimal.

I center myself in pub play because I don't have the time to commit myself as a member of one; I sometimes stop playing by extended periods of time. Scoring by itself is not my principal motivation for playing; as my signature can attest, if I was more concerned with it I'd try to maximize scores and minimize loses. If you compared my three stat pages from BF2, 2142 and BC2, you couldn't tell I play exactly the same way, or should I say, with the same philosophy. I play to win, yes; but i also have "honor" in the sense that I won't leave a stacked game against me just to save myself from getting a loss; i don't quit games when my KDR or SPM ir negative or low.

Now, regarding games; i believe games are to be played the way the developer intended, as in: I don't believe in games being "sluggish" or "fluid" for FPS, i try to understand what the developer went after or how they envisioned the gameplay. For me, bad control is when you push left, and the character stutters, moves right, or simply doesn't respond. I reckon BF soldiers have always been a bit clunky, unlike the warriors from Quake or UT; because the setting is different. In that respect, controls in BF have always been good because IN-GAME, they always respond the same way. Same with the firing mechanics. Hitreg on the other hand, until BC2 have always been sketchy at best in live multiplayer over the internet, some people get good hitreg, many people get dust or misses, completely unrelated to their aiming ability. If you tell me "BFBC2 has bad or unresposive controls" I will call you a liar, because controls work as intended, just don't work like in other games. Therefore, for me, imo, you either get used to the way a game plays, or leave.
    In this example, AVA has great controls for its gameplay. It's fast paced and visceral, you have to have very good reaction time, and the controls provide it. it's firing mechanics are more similar to COD than BF; yet you won't see me complain BF is "slower" or "slugish" since the gameplay in BF is very different; medium to long range; squad based since BF2; you are never supposed to go alone anywhere, therefore you don't need pinpoint accuracy from your weapons.

for me this is the basis of the whole franchise; the teamplay in BF you can't find anywhere else; and i believe you shouldn't come here (and I don't mean you specifically) expecting to find fast paced firefights one on one. The way I understand BF as a franchise, the goal of the game is capture flags or bases, to make the other team run out of tickets. this is the only objective. killing people is a way of achieving this, but not the only way. BF always provided ways to communicate to your whole team, that got refined in BF2 with the commrose and voip, and commander orders over the map.
    KDR in these games is meaningless; shooting is just a mean to get to the flag, clear it of enemies and securing a position; not the goal in itself.

you must have witnessed this, sometimes the bigger scored players end up in the losing team; having a high KDR guy in your team doesn't guarantee you the victory. This is where the air mechanics and sometimes the armor mechanics in BF2 irk me to no end. they facilitate the obliteration of the enemy force with no real risk involved unless the enemy has better players, or better coordination, and sometimes both, since a team composed of newbies, no matter how well coordinated, can't overcome a single expert player in a plane or chopper.
    in my eyes, for pub play; there should be this balance, or equality as you once said; no matter what vehicle you choose, a single determined player from the opposing side must be able to stop you, or at least distract you, based on his skill, not the power of your vehicle. for me vehicles are just a support role for the flag cappers, or should be; like they are in BC2.

Why I think choppers are perfect in BC2 and not in BF2? It's not really the "ease" about disposing of them; it's the role they play, and the potential they have. i like choppers in BC2 are easy to learn, but difficult to master. I don't see them as "limited" in their potential. One thing that bothered me in BF2 was the fact they have no hard checks in place. You can fly as high as you want, and turn them around however you can, like they were characters, not tools. they were harder to learn, yes; but they were frustrating to learn too; if i hadn't had practice with BFV, I would have never dared to pick one up past my tenth or so crash trying to take off, I might as well have thought that they were broken and useless; and it happened to a lot of people. If anything, I'd say they need even more skill this time around, to get really good at them, since they have a lot of counters and are not an "I win" card unless left unchecked, and it still happens, but now it's easier to mount a counter with some proper teamwork, without focusing the whole team on a single vehicle. I know you don't like this, but like I said, it's the way it is right now; and it's fun and rewarding for both sides, the ones in the chopper, and the ones trying to bring it down. the way it was before felt more like a chore, a difficult, unrewarding one.

As a token: today i got my first faceful of dart guided Chopper rocket. It hurts, but didn't feel unfair, I was dueling with it, trying to position my tank at the right angle over a dune to get fire angle enough to get it with the extra gun; since my turret gunner was being unhelpful. and both he and I had to keep an eye open for rogue engies with tracer darts; and I had to look also for C4 planting assault or recon; i can tell you that this night was memorable for that pilot and gunner, since they managed to trace me and dispose of the tank that was making their life hell for over two minutes.

And that's the thing i envision the developers having as their goal. The player not telling about the day they finally hit 1500 hours on a plane, or the round they had 10/1 KDR; but they telling about that night they managed to sneak around the defenders and plant C4 on their assets, or that round they drove a tank through a wall. Or the time they flew a chopper right above the water, speeding through a hail of bullets and paradropped behind enemy lines. Do you think anybody really remembers a particular quake match? and this is what BF has over all the other franchises.

So, to close this up; inm y opinion, vehicles of any kind are tools to help you support the troops to cap flags, or this time around, blow up the mcomms; the second they become capable of overcoming the entirety of the opposing team, they become unbalanced for the gameplay, they are to have checks that are very strict; this time around, in my opinion, they have the potential to remain a power multiplier without being completely unstoppable, but they allow the people interested and willing to sink time on them, to be harder to defeat while still allowing for a lot of fun to be had, and enough room to improve. they also give the chance to the people willing to, and dedicated to, to have a fir chance of fighting them on equal terms. i see them now, as requiring more skill to use since they have harder checks, like an altitude limit, and the need to land to get repairs.

I posted a guide somewhere else, to modify some settings that suppodsely allow choppers to have nearly the same mobility they had in BF2; I bet we'll start to see much more maneuverable choppers in the near future since this is not the only board that post has been published, we'll have to wait and see what that does for balance.

Comment

Lordseth, good post, even though I still disagree with the idea that a single player should be able to take down a player in a power-vehicle based merely on his determination and not his skill. Realistically speaking, even though I dont promote realism, a tank in WW2 was worth 50 infantry troops. In BF2, I saw tank to be worth 5 grunts. And thats exactly what it was when it arrived at a flag. If a good player drove a tank, you had to have very *skilled* and dedicated people to either scare him off, or scare him out. This is immersion, going against odds, actually having to hide. A vehicle shouldnt be just a distraction, a momentary nuisance. It should make your heart race. Im not talking about BC2 here, but Im just saying that I disagree with "equality", not "balance.

Youre also not right about having no significant impact on the battlefield if youre being a consistent SOB in the manpads or the mobile AA. I did two rounds back to back yesterday, where I stopped enemy bombers cold from going even over 20 kills. These were 3 star generals flying, so even if they werent skilled dogfighters, you were probably more than capable of accurately bombing. In one round, one of them ended with 17:4, and in another round, another "general" went 22:6. The first bloke was at 9:0 when I arrived. However, even though it was ridiculously fun playing cat and mouse and coming out on top in most cases, there were 2 problems. A) apathy, I was the only consistent STA guy, so I was alone against multiple air targets, who quickly took me as their priority and B) you get more points by doing something else. But I disagree with you that you have no impact.

Now, for controls. BF franchise controls have been inconsistent as far as patches and games themselves go. If the developer intended you to feel restrained, as if you were knee-deep in mud, then that developer is incompetent. Youll eventually get used to anything, but that should never be an excuse for things like input lag, severe time penalties and constraints in movement. The "play it like it was intended to be played" is the top most used excuse from the console crowd. It was also the most used excuse when the dedicated server complaints flooded IW forums. Right next to "modding games is cheating". "Clunky" is not a feature.

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
      yeah, I don't care what you agree with or don't agree with or what you fire up. I've done extensive testing with macros and different types of prone spamming. I also seen how it almost completely killed competitive bf2. It didn't take long after people figured out those macros and how they altered the hitboxes for a patch to come out. I seriously doubt anyone that used these macros plays an old demo.
      Ive spent my fair share in CAL forums, and I can tell you that at least in North America, it wasnt prone-spam that killed BF2 competition. The first format to die was 12v12, it lasted just one season. A form of 10v10 sprung up for a moment. 8v8 lasted for a good 2 years at least, and thats where majority of CALs tweaks were done. After 8v8 started dying, we finally had 5v5, 5v5 IO and now I havent seen a single BF2 competitive game in Europe either. And the reason? The reason was that it was incredibly difficult to gather 12 people for a scrim. Pronespamming and macros were irritating, but by far not the reason for BF2-s competitive downfall. It was purely an administrative issue. The community tried to overcome the map/vehicle inbalance by total ticket count after side-switching, but the simple fact was that it was a lot easier to get 5 guys for a scrim, than it was 12.

People pronespam and macro in the Demo aswell. Thats the point I was trying to make. The same kind of worming, constant auto-dolphin-diving and other kind of hitbox manipulation is going on there, too. They are not immune to explosives, as youre trying to prove. Not to mention the single and most crucial fact that hitboxes were whack even if you were standing still or just running.

Comment

8v8 was cal-m bf2 not many cared about gathering 12 people. Do you always have to go off on some random crap? 8v8 lasted for years and the fact that you ended the paragraph talking only about 5v5 and 12v12 is simply retarded. The fact you even brought up 12v12 was pointless. The fact that you went off talking about when BF2 started dying in competitive play was also pointless.

Prone macros almost killed BF2 in CAL-M way before BF2 started dying off in competitive play and that is a fact! You can bring up how often you were visiting the forums all you want. Thankfully it was a short lived moment of bf2 competitive history and only lasted a short time during 1 season but it happened. Wish they didn't have to change it so drastically but oh well they did. Adding the time delay in put a stop to macros and made them impossible. They could have easily stopped normal prone spamming without doing it the way they did. I witnessed some of the best infantry players to play Bf2 get skunked in 5v5 only getting 1 kill because it was impossible to kill someone that was using this macro. Guns became 100% ineffective with absolutely 0% chance of even thinking about getting a kill.

I also do not believe it wasn't a coincidence that these macros popped up in cal-m and shortly after a patch was released. Regular prone spamming had been a problem for a long time to the gamer who couldn't adapt.

I had a guy test the macro right in front of my tank and I could not kill him. I was using cannon and firing the gun.

Manipulating game files to auto aim is one thing. Becoming invincible by beating the engine with a macro is completely different. There are an infinite number of macros you can make with prone spamming and people didn't share them outside of their clan if they were a clear advantage over peoples little "worm" macros.

Comment

8v8 was cal-m bf2 not many cared about gathering 12 people. Do you always have to go off on some random crap? 8v8 lasted for years and the fact that you ended the paragraph talking only about 5v5 and 12v12 is simply retarded. The fact you even brought up 12v12 was pointless. The fact that you went off talking about when BF2 started dying in competitive play was also pointless.
          The whole point was that your idea of thinking that prone-macros "almost" killed the competitive game is a completely baseless assumption. Even BF2142 competition died eventually. I saw more complaints about jets inbalance (J10 vs F35B) than I saw prone-doplhin-diving. Just check old BF2 competitive game demos. Declining activity (with 2007 release of COD4) and difficulty in getting a larger than 5 crew to attend scrims on consistent basis had a much, much greater effect on BF2 competitive side. Even BF2142 competition really lasted for 1.5-2 years.

I also do not believe it wasn't a coincidence that these macros popped up in cal-m and shortly after a patch was released. Regular prone spamming had been a problem for a long time to the gamer who couldn't adapt.
          The regular gamer couldnt even adapt to people hitting prone in a CQB/CQC range. A "regular" gamer still shoots helicopter cannon at tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
            The whole point was that your idea of thinking that prone-macros "almost" killed the competitive game is a completely baseless assumption.
            Fact is fact and prone-macros almost killed BF2 competitive play.

Even BF2142 competition died eventually.
            Who cares? 2142 barely had competition and it has nothing to do with bf2 and prone macros.

I saw more complaints about jets inbalance (J10 vs F35B) than I saw prone-doplhin-diving. Just check old BF2 competitive game demos
            Another dumb and pointless comment. J10s imbalance never had anything to do with CAL-M. It was only used on 1 freaking map. The only good jet pilot in CAL-M was Delfos and it didn't matter what jet he was in.
            Declining activity (with 2007 release of COD4) and difficulty in getting a larger than 5 crew to attend scrims on consistent basis had a much, much greater effect on BF2 competitive side. Even BF2142 competition really lasted for 1.5-2 years.
            Again Pointless, WTF does COD4 have to do with prone macros almost killing BF2 competitive play in 2006?

The regular gamer couldnt even adapt to people hitting prone in a CQB/CQC range. A "regular" gamer still shoots helicopter cannon at tanks.
            WTF cares? Doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Comment

Fact is fact and prone-macros almost killed BF2 competitive play.
              Your "facts" are rather flawed when CAL forums were full of people claiming completely different reasons for BF2 ladders ultimate decline both in formats aswell as popularity.

Who cares? 2142 barely had competition and it has nothing to do with bf2 and prone macros.
              Because BF2142 had absolutely no pronespam and its competitive community STILL died because of the rise of games better suited for quick 5 vs 5 games.

Another dumb and pointless comment. J10s imbalance never had anything to do with CAL-M. It was only used on 1 freaking map. The only good jet pilot in CAL-M was Delfos and it didn't matter what jet he was in.
              The only good pilot in CAL-M was Delfos? Now I know youre talking out of your ***.

Again Pointless, WTF does COD4 have to do with prone macros almost killing BF2 competitive play in 2006?
              Because BF2 12 vs 12 ladders were already dead by 2006, 8 vs 8 showed drastic decrease in popularity in 2007. Pronespamming had little, if anything to do with the ultimate demize of the competitive gameplay. It seems like I have to repeat myself again- the single most important reason why the ladders shrunk and the games ended up in a pathetic 5 vs 5 IO ladders, was because it was difficult to get a team of 8 (12) to compete on a consistent basis, nevermind attending LAN play.

WTF cares? Doesn't have anything to do with anything.
              Regular play is always lagging behind the highly adaptive competitive play.

[EDIT] BF2 patch 1.2 was released in February 2006. Thats 7 months after the release of the game. At 7th month the competitive community in BF2 was flourishing. I dont know what "almost dead" youre talking about.

Comment

I just re-read all of the thread, I apologize for hijacking it along with Redfield. On a lighter note now, go play Squad deathmatch, it's a ton of unsane fun. I am somewhat proud that I got my RPG-7 second gold medal in one night last night. It helps to get the explosive perk along withplaying ina mode that is so hardcore, that your explosives do 4 times the damage. I have almost learned to fire that thing from the hip.

Now I go to sleep, it's 7 am already.

Comment

stop enabling him!

Comment

Look dude, in 2006 prone-macros almost killed BF2 Competitive game play. Nothing in forums during 2007 or after and no other games or dumb pointless opinions have anything to do with prone spamming in bf2. You are wrong and no matter how many useless comments you make about stuff that has nothing to do with the 100% absolute fact that prone-macros almost killed bf2 competitive play is going to change the fact you are wrong! Simply and absolutely wrong. If you were not wrong you wouldn't need to go on and on about dumb stuff that doesn't have anything to do with it. That leads me to believe that you know you were wrong.

And who was better than Delfos? Delfos was the best in the jet in a league that barely had any need for jet pilots. The map barely got played and it was only 1 map. Just like Kev was the best chopper player.

12v12 didn't even exist in CAL-M so please stop bringing it up.

Comment

Look dude, in 2006 prone-macros almost killed BF2 Competitive game play.
                      You repeated this argument three times in this single paragraph in hopes that if you repeat it enough, it would magically become true. I have no doubt that it posed certain issues, Im telling you what people were complaining about the most, when activity in leagues started to drop. Im also trying to give you examples of other BF games which also died out of inactivity in a relatively short time (their high-player leagues, that is), when pronespamming was never an issue. Yet you keep ignoring them, completely. Im sure youll post another paragraph full of "PRONESPAMMING KILLED COMPETITION!11!!". Amusingly, again, patching history and frequency of games disagrees with you. Hell, 2006 was the year of some of the best games out there. BF2C vs CAL 32 vs 32 (Delfos wasnt flying, if I remember correctly), BF2C vs TG 32 vs 32, 8 vs 8 was ridiculously frequently casted and 2006-2007 was about the time when a number of BF2 casting sites sprung up.

Again. "Almost killed"? What are you smoking?

Nothing in forums during 2007 or after and no other games or dumb pointless opinions have anything to do with prone spamming in bf2.
                      No, they dont. But they have everything to do with the ridiculous notion that it singlehandedly sent BF2 competition almost into extinction, especially when 2006 Feb 1.2 patch was released.
                      And who was better than Delfos? Delfos was the best in the jet in a league that barely had any need for jet pilots. The map barely got played and it was only 1 map. Just like Kev was the best chopper player.
                      Dude, you were claiming as if he was the only pilot in CAL. The pissing contest on those forums always reached epic proportions, some even got spilled to TBF2. Names like Elder were frequently thrown around. Its been a long time since those days, but I dont remember one name popping up universally. People in the competitive community are ALWAYS sucking up to one-two specific names when e-peens are measured.

12v12 didn't even exist in CAL-M so please stop bringing it up.
                      It existed in CAL-O. As did 10 vs 10, same teams were in top 5.

Comment

You just spent this entire time trolling the internet and more forums looking to find out who the best cal-m pilot was didn't you? You don't have a clue who was but you know it wasn't delfos. But yet you can say I'm talking out my *** even though you don't know anything about it.

What do you not understand about almost killed? Which word are you having trouble with; almost or killed?

I don't care what people were complaining about the most when people moved on to other games. It has nothing to do with 2006 and prone-macros.
                        You completely ignore what is being said and bring up retarded points about a completely different time of the game. You've been taking what I say and rearranging it in your head to argue what you want even though it has nothing to do with anything during the time prone-macros were even possible. The more unrelated points you bring up the stronger you think your pointless argument is.

I don't care who was the best pub jet or the best BF2C jet pilot. It doesn't even matter it was to show a point that the j10 had no effect on CAL-M what so ever. The jet pilot that dominated clean sweep in cal-m was delfos.

I know because I played. I played CAL:M, I played CAL:O 12v12, CAL vs BF2C game, I played in the TG vs BF2C game, I played in the TGN/TBF vs BF2S game. I've been shoutcasted. I don't need to search for old forums and i didn't need to troll them then.

What does 1.2 patch have to do with anything?

Why do you keep trying to argue something that happened way later to something in 2006? Because you like to stray away hoping to argue about something else.
                        Why do you act like I'm saying delfos is the absolute best jet pilot? Because you have no idea who was the best CAL-M pilot.
                        Why do you act like you know what you are talking about just because you trolled some forums? Because that's all you do.
                        Why do you act like I'm saying prone-macros killed competitive gaming in bf2? Because you have no argument on the original point of prone-macros.

Comment

Can we all agree that Battlefield and Competition do not go together? Geez only lasting 2 years is not that long. Prone macros killed it as well as not having a consistent 8 on every night to scrim. They both were causes to it failing. Having to get a team of 8 on consistently or even 10 or 12 on consistently is hard to do. This is why battlefield will not be great in competition.

Not that i am comparing counter strike to battlefield. But look at counter strike it has lasted for so long competitively. You do not have to have a huge team on consistently to play in scrims in such.

No matter how good the battlefield game...competition will only last a short amount of time cause of how many people you have to have one consistently.

Yes luna tik is right, prone macros were a cause to the downfall of bf2 competition. I know cause i played in cal-m for bf2 and thats what a number of people always complained about.

Where the **** did you get the idea that 12v12 was in cal-m? chris redfield? You probably didn't even play bf2 competitively.....Do you troll like this all the time?

Comment

The problem is I'm not discussing the downfall of bf2 and competition. He is just trying to make me.

Comment

Why do admins let discussions like this continue when its clear the argument is never going to be settled.

Comment

Better yet, Why does Chris take a comments turn them into what he wants then to be and not what they say.

Comment

Working...
                                X