Borderlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Borderlands

Guns in vanilla STALKER are by far the worst in any game out there. Just painful. You have to mod the game to experience fantastic gunfights.

Borderlands gunfights get better as you start getting better guns and loot, and use the typical approach youd expect from an RPG. Weaksauce guns, good guns, great guns, guns with added elemential effects (fire and stuff). There is said to be over 200K different weapons in the game.

Overall, the missions are mostly a grind. Youre killing, collecting and pushing buttons, but theres nothing that differentiates the games quests from each other. You will find yourself quickly only enjoying the boss fights (they are really fun) and everything else leading up to it is a typical (not worse, not better) grind. Even Mass Effect had grinding, and I really wish STALKER had some grinding aswell (by the way, Call of Pripyat does have grinding).

Just in case, grinding is playing the game, looting and killing the enemies to get XP/cash/better gear without the actual progression in the story.

But really, Im just actually saying that the game is not GOTY material, not something that is coming once every 7 years and blows you away. But the game is entertaining, has no bugs, is extremely high polish and definitely has high production value. Youll get your 20-30 hours of entertainment, a dozen of "Awesome!" moments and what is said to be- an awesome COOP experience. Just dont expect a story because there practically isnt one. Theres more story to the first intro video than theres in the entire game. Its 99% gameplay and 1% story.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
      dammit, I was looking at this game and thinking of getting it

I've wanted to know, how good are the quests etc? Because I don't want a game where the quests are monotonous, boring and repetitive, I could perhaps handle the rest as long as the world was big etc

and as a massive Stalker fan myself I find guns in every other game not as fun
      The quests aren't bad, they're not too repetitive and generally involve some interesting firefights. Probably about half of them are built around the general kill so many of these or collect this many things, but the others try to stray away from that. But if you get some friends together and start a game and play through the whole thing together it's alot of fun. With friends you tend to forget that you're just killing 10 of these guys and instead you're just having fun playing a well built COOP shooter with some friends. And now that I think back, there's quite a few quests that were pretty fun and you can skip alot of the kill this many or find this many quests.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
        Guns in vanilla STALKER are by far the worst in any game out there. Just painful. You have to mod the game to experience fantastic gunfights.

Borderlands gunfights get better as you start getting better guns and loot, and use the typical approach youd expect from an RPG. Weaksauce guns, good guns, great guns, guns with added elemential effects (fire and stuff). There is said to be over 200K different weapons in the game.

Overall, the missions are mostly a grind. Youre killing, collecting and pushing buttons, but theres nothing that differentiates the games quests from each other. You will find yourself quickly only enjoying the boss fights (they are really fun) and everything else leading up to it is a typical (not worse, not better) grind. Even Mass Effect had grinding, and I really wish STALKER had some grinding aswell (by the way, Call of Pripyat does have grinding).

Just in case, grinding is playing the game, looting and killing the enemies to get XP/cash/better gear without the actual progression in the story.

But really, Im just actually saying that the game is not GOTY material, not something that is coming once every 7 years and blows you away. But the game is entertaining, has no bugs, is extremely high polish and definitely has high production value. Youll get your 20-30 hours of entertainment, a dozen of "Awesome!" moments and what is said to be- an awesome COOP experience. Just dont expect a story because there practically isnt one. Theres more story to the first intro video than theres in the entire game. Its 99% gameplay and 1% story.
        lol thats what I loved about Stalker guns! When you started the game the guns were bad, REALLY bad lol you had to be a proper Stalker to survive, there was none of this COD style hold fire and get endless kills, I really liked the ballistics aspects of the game and still do. Even if there were the annoying distance kill bugs (shoot a guy in the head over a certain range 5 times and he just dones't die )

Originally posted by KillerStickMan
        The quests aren't bad, they're not too repetitive and generally involve some interesting firefights. Probably about half of them are built around the general kill so many of these or collect this many things, but the others try to stray away from that. But if you get some friends together and start a game and play through the whole thing together it's alot of fun. With friends you tend to forget that you're just killing 10 of these guys and instead you're just having fun playing a well built COOP shooter with some friends. And now that I think back, there's quite a few quests that were pretty fun and you can skip alot of the kill this many or find this many quests.
        hmmm tbh I did think that the coop would likely be a sticking point for the game, coop helps to increase the fun levels even in rubbish situations

I dunno about grinding in Call of Pripyat, it doesn't start you out with guns as bad as the ones in Clear Sky or the original stalker, although if you are like me and take your time, especially in the first area to get $$$ then perhaps it is grinding lol (I get megabucks to buy the G36 from Nimble ) just not as obvious

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
          lol thats what I loved about Stalker guns! When you started the game the guns were bad, REALLY bad lol you had to be a proper Stalker to survive, there was none of this COD style hold fire and get endless kills, I really liked the ballistics aspects of the game and still do. Even if there were the annoying distance kill bugs (shoot a guy in the head over a certain range 5 times and he just dones't die )
          Yes, because having to shoot two shells from a sawed off shotgun at an unprotected bandit from 3 feet to get the kill, is extremely awesome. The gunbattles in vSTALKER sucked, horribly. I was replaying Clear Sky 2 weeks ago and we couldnt get the realistic ballistics mod to work. We stormed a group of 5 bandits with a shotgun and had to close the distance to just a few yards to be able to get any kills, while 5 bandits were running around me. It was an instant turn-off and far inferior to COD4-s overly scripted gunfights, which at least involved an element of risk and chaos in it.

Now. STALKER with PLR realistic ballistics mod, Gnomus scopes and difficulty at the highest settings will show you things you have never seen in a videogame before. Pure awesomeness. Throw in a whole AMK mod package along with it and youll spend 6 hours in Cordon alone.

Every STALKER needs at least a realism mod, if you want to have fun.

Comment

Oh I've played with a few mods (made some myself as well) don't get me wrong , most of them are superb, which is why I like Stalker so much, it can get annoying when developers don't make a game that isn't easily moddable when you play something like Stalker (or going back further Rome Total War etc)

but I just loved the vanilla ballistics when I first played, they were strangely refreshing in a half stupidly hard, half tear my hair out kind of way.

I would sit in the warehouse near the Cordon bridge single firing my pistol to take out the military gaurds for aaaaaages lol (pistols > a shotgun or AK47U2 hehehe)

I dunno, but getting onto the higher rifles etc, it just felt so much more satisfying to kill someone, made me think of that girl in the desert eagle video that whacks herself in the face with the gun recoil lol, I couldn't kill **** when I first played the game. Imo Clear Sky was more annoying with the guns, cos of the dam sVamps

As for Borderlands, it does seem, from the other people that I am asking, the its better for the coop

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
              Fallout 3 is epic.
              It sounds ironic but i had to ive fallout another go, the first time i played i found it was two "Barren" it need more people to interact with and more major locations such as cities. however i am weary when buying a RPG that isn't from Bethesda...i love those guys.

Comment

Yup, I was recently playing Oblivion, again xD, but back to Borderlands

Had a resonable MP experiance earlier after joining one of a few valid servers.

the server I joined eventually had the name "OPEN PORTS - WORKS!" lol

For creating VALID servers for the PC see - http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...highlight=port

Comment

bought it yesterday and I have to say I really enjoyed it so far

Comment

If you've already pushed through the content on the Borderlands disc, 2K Games and Gearbox Software are happy to provide you with more...for a nominal fee, of course. The very-cool-looking first slate of downloadable content, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (complete with zombie hordes), will be released on November 24 through both Xbox Live and PlayStation Network for $9.99.

There's no mention of when the content is coming to the PC in the announcement release. I've asked 2K Games to clarify whether it's arriving on the same date or sometime later.

Comment

They don't even know when, or if really, they're going to patch the PC version to mitigate some of the game-breaking bugs many users are experiencing.

Another console port with lackluster support and little love for the PC platform.

Comment

I thought the game was really fun. Not worth $50, but fun. Although it did get boring after the first play through.

Comment

Tip for Roland: don't overwrite an Orange Relic - Turret damage modifiyer (white 32 to 282 orange) with a purple **** one! Yes, you only pack one!:dead:

Comment

Add me: dani0607

Comment

Originally posted by old sch00l
                              Tip for Roland: don't overwrite an Orange Relic - Turret damage modifiyer (white 32 to 282 orange) with a purple **** one! Yes, you only pack one!:dead:
                              Protip: You can change which artifact you currently have active by clicking on it in the skill tree window

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                                Yes, because having to shoot two shells from a sawed off shotgun at an unprotected bandit from 3 feet to get the kill, is extremely awesome. The gunbattles in vSTALKER sucked, horribly. I was replaying Clear Sky 2 weeks ago and we couldnt get the realistic ballistics mod to work. We stormed a group of 5 bandits with a shotgun and had to close the distance to just a few yards to be able to get any kills, while 5 bandits were running around me. It was an instant turn-off and far inferior to COD4-s overly scripted gunfights, which at least involved an element of risk and chaos in it.

Now. STALKER with PLR realistic ballistics mod, Gnomus scopes and difficulty at the highest settings will show you things you have never seen in a videogame before. Pure awesomeness. Throw in a whole AMK mod package along with it and youll spend 6 hours in Cordon alone.

Every STALKER needs at least a realism mod, if you want to have fun.
                                I take it you don't like games with any arcadey aspect...

Comment

Working...
                                X