Chances of RROD'ing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of RROD'ing?

My brother is looking for a second hand Xbox 360. It's not a Jasper but apparently it has never RROD'd. Seller is very local to me, but it'll bought via another forum.

What is the likelyhood of this Xbox RROD'ing because it's not a Jasper?

Re: Chances of RROD'ing?

It depends on when the 360 was made. For example, the launch 360 had huge reports of RROD, so I wouldn't recommend buying one of those. Ask the person when they bought the 360 and if the warranty is still valid, which you can check online with the serial number.

A few weeks back, we told you that Microsoft's Xbox 360 was seeing some really bad numbers, regarding return rates and that enfuriating Red Ring…

Comment

It's just over 2 years old apparently, 2 years and 3 days as he got it for his birthday.

Serial is: 4001234 73206, what can I tell from that?

Comment

Personally if you are going to buy an xbox why not just wait until the new MW2 version comes out with a 120gb HD and all the rest including the game. Its great value for money and wouldnt have any worry of RROD'ing.

Price may be a problem but you would rather have an xbox that wont RROD for twice the price of one that may well do it within a few months and cause you to spend more etc.

Comment

Because I don't have an arm and a leg to sell, hence my second hand dealings.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
            Personally if you are going to buy an xbox why not just wait until the new MW2 version comes out with a 120gb HD and all the rest including the game. Its great value for money and wouldnt have any worry of RROD'ing.

Price may be a problem but you would rather have an xbox that wont RROD for twice the price of one that may well do it within a few months and cause you to spend more etc.
            A wonderful example of not reading the OP.

Comment

You need to register the serial number at http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...?step=register and then you can check the warranty status.

It sounds like it will fall under the 3 year warranty for E74 and RROD for a little while longer, but I'm just guessing based on the purchase date.

Comment

Your chances to getting a RROD are quite high since 1 of every 3 or 2 360s get a RROD without Jasper.

You're indeed better off waiting for the better ones with MW2 but you don't have the money apparently. Follow Spire's advice and hope you don't get a RROD when the warrenty has expired.

Otherwise please specify your budget so we can help you find a good 360 elsewhere.
                Or you should try getting him a second hand PS3, they are getting cheaper now because of the recent price drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Astley
                  Your chances to getting a RROD are quite high since 1 of every 3 or 2 360s get a RROD without Jasper.
                  you sure thats not a PS3 fanboys statistic? (no offence)
                  I read that the statistic is still bad but its 1 in 6, 1 in 2 is a bit extreme.

Comment

I think we'll pass on it, he's going to save a bit more and get a slim PS3

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
                      you sure thats not a PS3 fanboys statistic? (no offence)
                      I read that the statistic is still bad but its 1 in 6, 1 in 2 is a bit extreme.
                      I read somewhere on Gamestop that there's a 50% chance that your 360 will RROD if it doesn't have Jasper. And it was an official article, maybe wrote by a fanboy but Gamestop is more pro-360 than pro-PS3.

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                      I think we'll pass on it, he's going to save a bit more and get a slim PS3
                      Good choice, but i've heard that there's a chance of overheating in the slim version because the slim version is smaller. In my opinion, a bunch of nonsense rumors spread by the 360 fanboys, but still it's worth looking into and doing some research on it.
                      In any case, I'd rather have my trusty ''fat'' PS3 than the slim version.

Comment

Well, the only reason for going slim is that they are £50 cheaper than the fat. Cooling won't be an issue, it wouldn't be stuck in any old nook or cranny.

Comment

Good, cooling won't be a problem then.

Also, I did a little bit of research and so far there hasn't been a single report of overheating with the slim so it should be fine even if you did stuff it in a corner.

Comment

Well, my xbox is 2 years old, and it hasn't red ringed by itself. I broke my disk drive and it RROD'd so i got it fixed. If its 2 years, then it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Will
                              Well, my xbox is 2 years old, and it hasn't red ringed by itself. I broke my disk drive and it RROD'd so i got it fixed. If its 2 years, then it should be fine.
                              You're one of the lucky few, mine RROD'd twice already and 3 months ago was my third one. I didn't even bother going to repair again...

And I know a guy that has his Xbox RROD'd 7 times, he has the worst of luck

Comment

Working...
                              X