Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you want in MW 2

Originally posted by KC-10
    There was no real reason to leave out the suppressor on the M21, so I would like to see that as an option for the M21 this time (if the M21 is in).
    There is a (legit) concern that allowing suppressed sniper rifles in MP would tip the balance too far in that direction and make snipers over-powered.

IF they do allow a suppressed sniper rifle in MW2, then I think it would have to come at the cost of some significant penalty...maybe something like, if you use a suppressor, it would cost you your Perk 2 slot. That way, you won't have access to Stopping Power, Juggernaut, Overkill, or UAV Jammer.

This would allow snipers to be silent, but not hide from the UAV, carry 2 weapons, or always get a 1-hit kill. I think this is the only way you could allow the extra stealth of a suppressor, without over-powering the sniper class.

Comment

Much like my propositions for the other weapons, the M21 would be the only sniper to receive the attachment, its just impractical to fit a silencer onto an M40 or SVD or M82.

Its just my playstyle, but I ditch any other weapon, and I take the M21 in for CQC. I use it as an assault rifle (because it is really an M14), but with the benefit of optics, and those optics come at the cost of limited FOV.

The M14 can be silenced, I don't really understand the threat of having a silencer on (only) the M21. I would certainly not mind if the damage was reduced, because I would like to go for CQC with the M21 and without everyone else knowing where I am. Killcam is also in place as an anti-camping method.

To disallow having UAV Jammer + suppressor would vanquish the point of having an SD attachment for it in the first place. Really, the M21 is just the M14 with magnifying optics that reduce the FOV, so why can't it be silenced?

I know that all sniper rifles do a base damage of 70, but the M21 just does not have the multiplier damage of the M82, or SVD.

Comment

Really, the M21 is just the M14 with magnifying optics that reduce the FOV, so why can't it be silenced?
        Basically, because of the scope. It increases the effective range, because you can see your target across the map and put a pinpoint accurate shot on them. With a silenced M14, you're limited to ironsights so you can't see nearly as far nor shoot with pinpoint accuracy, and the damage seems to be reduced even further. Try it out yourself. The reduced FOV is irrelevant, since most people use a sniper rifle at distance, not CQC, so it's not a big enough disadvantage.

And even if the M21 was the only silenced sniper rifle, then almost everyone would choose it (unless the penalties of Perk 2 I talked about earlier were implemented). So it doesn't matter if you allow just 1, or all. If there's a superweapon out there, people will use it.

The very effective ghillie suit, accuracy with scope, higher damage, and range of the sniper rifles already make them extremely powerful. If you add the silencer so that they don't show up on the mini map (softcore) and you can't hear them (hardcore) then they'll become too strong unless you take away enough other things (ie. Stopping Power, UAV Jammer, etc). You can't have a completely hidden/cloaked sniper in this game. It's just not fair without severe tweaks made to the class in other areas.

ps. I don't know if you're still talking about Console when it comes to COD4, but if you try to run around in CQC with a sniper rifle on PC, you probably won't last very long.

Comment

Nah mate, I only use PS3 for WAW, IV and BF:BC.

I have found, that even with the graphics on the HIGHEST settings, that I can still see ghillie suits from a large distance away - the grass will cease to render. CoD is a game of waiting for pixel change. No matter how slowly you crawl, you can still see the ghillie suit move easily.

Fair point on the completely cloaked sniper. I would think though, that if a sniper were to actually sit and wait, he would be in a predictable spot, such as the buildings in Crossfire, and would be found easily. Even without a UAV, its easy to find all the snipers in Overgrown, just by moving carefully and searching out the predictable spots.

Maybe the silenced M21 might act to slow down the game a little, and make (some) people actually consider their actions, rather than KNOWING, that their team will score a UAV, and will instantly find that sniper.

Maybe the damage is reduced to the point that you can look at the hit indicators to see where it came from?

And on the note about not lasting very long in CQC with an M21:

Thats me, An-225 up the top. I don't like bragging, but you asked for it Whiskey! I guarantee, that was due largely to the M21 in CQC.

Comment

I have found, that even with the graphics on the HIGHEST settings, that I can still see ghillie suits from a large distance away - the grass will cease to render. CoD is a game of waiting for pixel change. No matter how slowly you crawl, you can still see the ghillie suit move easily.
            Are you running your game with a stock (default) config, or did you ever make changes or download an optimized config file? The reason I ask is because, even in stock, sometimes objects/grass will cease to render at distance, but it's not overly bad. However, with optimized configs, that stuff can be increased quite a bit, so that it's much easier to see people at distance.

I would think though, that if a sniper were to actually sit and wait, he would be in a predictable spot, such as the buildings in Crossfire, and would be found easily. Even without a UAV, its easy to find all the snipers in Overgrown, just by moving carefully and searching out the predictable spots.
            Thing is, for people who don't snipe, those spots aren't predictable. Sure, they can guess general direction, and any window can be dangerous, but if you don't actually snipe, specific spots aren't 2nd nature. Unless you kill a lot of snipers in-place, or see their kill-cams, only then will non-snipers learn all the little nooks and crannies that they like to hide in. And good snipers don't just sit there in the open...they pop up, crouch down, prone, lean around debris, etc. So if they're doing all that, and are silenced, that's not cool for the rest of us.

Thats me, An-225 up the top. I don't like bragging, but you asked for it Whiskey! I guarantee, that was due largely to the M21 in CQC.
            I didn't say it was impossible but in general, it's not a good idea and won't work on most servers. This is not meant to put down your skills at all, but:
            1) your k/d ratio is 2:1, while that's good, it's not overly spectacular
            2) you are tied for the best ping on that server. Of the 4 opponents shown, 2 of them have massively high pings, and one of those is leading their team. I'd guess that at least a couple of the others have high pings too, which gives you the advantage in CQC.
            3) I'm thinking at least some of those kills came from chopper/airstrikes?
            4) From the name of the server, I'm guessing you're in Australia? From what I understand, because of being so remote and the ping issues involved, you have a much smaller gaming population on local servers. This stands to reason that there will also be fewer players of med-high skill too.

Again, this isn't to insult your gaming prowess. I'm only an average player at best, but I rarely have problems with snipers in CQC situations. Sure, they'll shoot me a lot at distance, because I rarely camp and I like to move around (clearing out snipers and campers is actually what I enjoy doing, so that they can't sit in safety and get my team-mates). But if I come across one close by, unless he is good with a pistol, or gets lucky with a quick no-scope, by the time he snaps up his scope and is firing semi-auto (individual mouse clicks) in his reduced FOV, my assault rifle or smg is already putting several bullets in his direction. The odds are just not good for him.

Comment

I know, it wasn't to insult my "skills." I just couldn't resist posting that pic. I'm a pretty average gamer too, really, I just excel at dealing with limited FOV, like with the M21.

You are very observant, this is like playing a game of chess. Of course, a lot of those kills came from air support, but it was the M21 that initiated that support, wasn't it? (yes, the helo does hack)

I am from Australia, and you are correct in saying that there are few skilled players, or at least it feels like they are now waning.

Comment

What I'd really like to see is no way to change weapon damage or health on ranked servers. This combined with CoD4's server problems is the main reason why I stopped playing CoD4. I know it's highly unlikely that they'd remove that though.

Comment

Yeah I can't really see that happening tbh, but you can hope..

Comment

i just thought about something that could replace the airstrikes of cluster bombs.........have an a-10 do a strafing run with its nose cannon.....have it be only one or two strafing runs so that way its not like the entire map is destroyed by an airstrike like in cod 4

Comment

Originally posted by [FM]JoeCool4433
                      i just thought about something that could replace the airstrikes of cluster bombs.........have an a-10 do a strafing run with its nose cannon.....have it be only one or two strafing runs so that way its not like the entire map is destroyed by an airstrike like in cod 4
                      The A-10 is my all-time fav aircraft. I'd totally mark out if they had that in. :yay:

Comment

No perks
                        No unlocks or ranks that affect gameplay (weapon skins are fine)
                        A unique loadout for each team
                        More than 2 magazines for your weapon
                        UAV/airstrikes/chopper can stay

Modern CoD2 basically. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                          No perks
                          No unlocks or ranks that affect gameplay (weapon skins are fine)
                          A unique loadout for each team
                          More than 2 magazines for your weapon
                          UAV/airstrikes/chopper can stay

Modern CoD2 basically. :shock:
                          RIGHT! Just allow ranked servers to:

set_unlocks 0
                          set_perks 0
                          set_airstrikes 0
                          set_heli 0
                          set_uav 0
                          set_vehicles 0
                          set_fun 0 (OK, I kid. I like the perks and stuff though, that makes it fun for me)

Then add a filter to find these things and you have CoD2:MW2. Default kits load up and there you go.

Crunch
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I think they should implement some sort of system whereby the helo wouldn't be able to "see" you if you weren't shooting, if you are prone and as long as no enemy soldier can see you.

Probably too difficult to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamer
                              I think they should implement some sort of system whereby the helo wouldn't be able to "see" you if you weren't shooting, if you are prone and as long as no enemy soldier can see you.

Probably too difficult to implement.
                              LOL. The chopper would just spin in circles, confused. then boom.

Comment

What i like to see:

UAV Jammer perk should protect you from choppers

Comment

Working...
                                X