DICE visits Swedish Armed Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DICE visits Swedish Armed Forces

I don't have any major problems with COD4 specifically, but a lot of console ports are pretty irritating.
    It's usually interface or control scheme issues:
    Fallout 3
    GTA IV
    Spider-man: Web of Shadows
    Bully
    Oblivion
    UT3
    F.E.A.R. 2
    Iron Man :shudder:
    Incredible Hulk :shudder shudder:

All of those had control issues or bad GUIs that were obviously due to lazy porting.
    Some people love some of those games, but I have to guess they're the same guys asking how to play COD:W@W with an Xbox 360 controller.
    I don't automatically assume that a game will be bad because it's a port. But I am going to be cautious. I've been burned way too many times by the lazy port monster.

Comment

.All of those had control issues or bad GUIs that were obviously due to lazy porting.
      Some people love some of those games, but I have to guess they're the same guys asking how to play COD:W@W with an Xbox 360 controller.
      I don't automatically assume that a game will be bad because it's a port. But I am going to be cautious. I've been burned way too many times by the lazy port monster.

Am with you on this, i have a 360 controller for my PC but its for racing games, never to be used for FPS because that's just wrong IMO.

Console ports don't feel right to me, you can tell it was not made for the PC 99% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirelli
        Not at all. BC2 will have the best sound yet in any Battlefield game.
        Since BC1 quite simply had the best sound ever in a game, I can't wait.

Time to get a real sound card soon maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by **L96A1**
          Am with you on this, i have a 360 controller for my PC but its for racing games, never to be used for FPS because that's just wrong IMO.

Console ports don't feel right to me, you can tell it was not made for the PC 99% of the time.
          I actually prefer using my 360 controller (and I don't even have a 360) for games where it makes sense. I play the Lego series with my kids on the big screen with it and I also play Spider-Man, X-Men Legends, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance with a controller. It just makes sense. A port can be good. Sometimes. Every once in a while.

Comment

I really, really, really hope that the new BF games use a different sound engine to that off BF2/Heroes/2142.

It hates my Asus Xonar D2. Battlefield 2 installation crashes and i have to manually end the mic setup application to get it working again and install properly. Then sound glitches unless i have it on software mode.

I can't even install or play Heroes. I got it to install under safe mode where my audio drivers weren't running, but obviously i couldn't play the game. The BF series are the only games to have such a catastrophic dislike to my soundcard.

Why?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirelli
              Not at all. BC2 will have the best sound yet in any Battlefield game.
              That should be good then because i positively hate the gun sounds in BF2142 even thou i like the game play, whitch is the important part i gess.

Who knows, guns might sound like that in the furture.

Comment

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant
                Fallout 3
                Stop press on Fallout, best single player game I played for a while. v serious contender for game of 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by old sch00l
                  Stop press on Fallout, best single player game I played for a while. v serious contender for game of 2009.
                  I never said I didn't like it as a game. The menus and controls suffer a bit from consolitis, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                    I really, really, really hope that the new BF games use a different sound engine to that off BF2/Heroes/2142.

It hates my Asus Xonar D2. Battlefield 2 installation crashes and i have to manually end the mic setup application to get it working again and install properly. Then sound glitches unless i have it on software mode.

I can't even install or play Heroes. I got it to install under safe mode where my audio drivers weren't running, but obviously i couldn't play the game. The BF series are the only games to have such a catastrophic dislike to my soundcard.

Why?!?!?!
                    Oh dude, if they use the ingame sound from BC1, which sounded amazing on the 80's era boxes I have in the basement, then they will sound like sex on any computer setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant
                      I never said I didn't like it as a game. The menus and controls suffer a bit from consolitis, though.
                      I resented the new UT03 concept recently, now I know what I'm doing, fly through those menus, nice optimisation

Trust the devs a bit more, some post are too much negative stuff. These guys work full time, aiming..

don't be negative, or else

on the other hand, constuctive grief is great

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk

Why?!?!?!
                        it also hates x-fi cards and cannot be played in x-fi mode on vista on many PC setups.

Comment

Why cant you play xfi mode? You have to choose "game mode" in drivers. But you might have crackling problems unless you have a pci-e xfi

Comment

I really like the sound of the guns in BC1 and the other battle sounds you can hear on the battlefield........ that is, from what i have heard on youtube, as i have not played the game.

Comment

Bad Companys sound was excellent. I would certainly hope that Dice will use the same sound team for Bc2.

I have found on bf2 if you turn off the loading music it reduces the number of C.T.D's, but it still happens to me, may be because im using Daniel_k drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi
                                Why cant you play xfi mode? You have to choose "game mode" in drivers. But you might have crackling problems unless you have a pci-e xfi
                                no duh you have to have it on game mode to even select x-fi mode. but once i choose it, my audio goes haywire, the crackling you mention. basically it's unplayable on x-fi mode due to this. that's what i meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X