• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Vista Laptop won't run bf2

59Hz fix: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=212328

Comment

Originally posted by [3MIB]1FD|WO1.HIVictim View Post
      Try this (please do not skip any steps or this whole post would have been in vain):

1) Go to Windows update and make sure your laptop is completely up to date. Setup automatic updates to ensure you are fully up to date all the time.

If you are not completely up to date, download and install all available updates. Reboot if prompted, and continue checking for updates until it says "Windows is up to date".

2) Download this driver:

Double Click it and select Extract, but do not install it yet.

3) Download this INF File:

Put that file in the folder you extracted your drivers to and replace the old one.

4) Now Install the driver and reboot.

5) Try to play now, if issue persists, continue on...

6) Download and Install the Direct X tool you ran in my previous post.

Reboot when finished.

7) Try to play now, if issue persists, continue on...

8) Uninstall BF2 and its expansions/mods. Delete the Battlefield 2 Directory out of your Documents folder.

Reboot.

9) Reinstall BF2 completely and reboot once installed.

10) Download the 1.41 Patch:

Install and reboot once installed.

11) Try to play now, if issue persists, let us know.
      um, step 2 wont work, the website says it doesnt like my referal? so it wont direct me to the download? i am so confused

and to everyone thinking its vista, i dont think its the problem, i have a friend who has a vista desktop and it works fine, and i have another friend with a vista laptop and it works fine

Comment

Battlefield runs on all versions of Vista, but it doesn't run at a refresh rate below 60Hz.
        Try the link I posted above. You may have to delete the Battlefield 2 folder in Documents if you have edited it, the shortcut may also not work if you have changed it.
        If your monitor is set to 1680x1050 the Shortcut Target should read "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

Comment

where do i get the nvidia control panel?

...nvm im retarded i found it.. :P

so i just changed my refresh rate to 60hz, and it still will not work

i have tried everything i can think of.. i have..

turned UAC on and off

turned compatibility with winxp sp2 on and off

tried to run it with administration mode on and off

i have the latest drivers installed

i have changed my video.con file to 60hz

i have delete the battlefield 2 folder in my documents folder

i have put "+menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050" in my shortcut target

i have done all of these things and a combination of those things, still all i get is a black screen that flashes and then it closes....

does anyone have a DICE/EA contact who can help me??

Comment

i wish bf2 would just come out on steam, i can run games like half life 2, tf2, and left 4 dead with zero problems with graphics maxed out

Comment

It should be working now it is set to 60Hz. Try manually uninstalling the game and then re-install just incase you messed something up somewhere and delete the shortcut you modified: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg...j&p_faqid=8986

Comment

Sorry, was not aware that laptopvideo2go.com does not allow redirections. Here is an updated post for you.

Try this (please do not skip any steps or this whole post would have been in vain):

1) Go to Windows update and make sure your laptop is completely up to date. Setup automatic updates to ensure you are fully up to date all the time.

If you are not completely up to date, download and install all available updates. Reboot if prompted, and continue checking for updates until it says "Windows is up to date".

2) Go Here and download the driver:

Double Click it and select Extract, but do not install it yet.

3) Go Here and download the Modified INF File:

Put that file in the folder you extracted your drivers to and replace the old one.

4) Now Install the driver and reboot.

5) Try to play now, if issue persists, continue on...

6) Download and Install the Direct X tool you ran in my previous post.

Reboot when finished.

7) Try to play now, if issue persists, continue on...

8) Uninstall BF2 and its expansions/mods. Delete the Battlefield 2 Directory out of your Documents folder.

Reboot.

9) Reinstall BF2 completely and reboot once installed.

10) Download the 1.41 Patch:

Install and reboot once installed.

11) Try to play now, if issue persists, let us know.

Comment

so i have tried everything suggested here and bf2 still wont run on my computer.

its a very capable laptop, i can run half life 2, tf2, left 4 dead, call of duty 4, and crisis (on low res), but not bf2....

the only other computer i have is a crappy desktop with low specs that i used to play bf2 on that took like an hour to load the game on low settings

i have a 2TB external hdd to save all my data so i think i may reformat and install xp to see if it works

thanks for everyones help

Comment

Its worth a shot, however I highly doubt its a vista issue.

You are not running a pirated copy of the game are you? Like from a torrent? I know this kind of thing will occasionally happen if the file your downloaded is corrupt.

Comment

Uninstall BF2, don't modify the command line and try to play . BF2 does not support that resolution, it only supports 4:3 resolutions.

Here is my working command line arguments:
                      +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1024 +szy 768
                      You probably only really need
                      +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

BF2142 support widescreen, hopefully in BF2 1.5 widescreen support will be added .

Comment

What does the line setResolution say in My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\xxxx\video.con?

Path might be different on Vista

Are you sure you are running 60Hz? Can you manually make a custom resolution, say 1280x800 @ 75Hz? This is possible from nvidia control panel

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher View Post
                          Uninstall BF2, don't modify the command line and try to play . BF2 does not support that resolution, it only supports 4:3 resolutions.

Here is my working command line arguments:
                          +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1024 +szy 768
                          You probably only really need
                          +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

BF2142 support widescreen, hopefully in BF2 1.5 widescreen support will be added .
                          BF2 does so support Widescreen, you just do not see the resolutions if you have a 4:3 ratio monitor. Problem most people have is that it only shows up to 1280x960 in the ingame menu since at game release that was one of the top resolutions. So you need to use the target path line to set resolution for newer monitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X