Decide the future of Call of Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decide the future of Call of Duty

I recently got back to CoD:UO and i absolutely LOVE it!!! Finally gone from the system with every gun is available to every army. Although i love CoD5 too because of its zombie mod :awes

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
      You obviously got thrown around playing CS...
      All I ever see you posting is CS-defending posts.

Comment

Good posts [7F]H||Jgr.Cmac[XI] and sithdemon. Good posts for both sides of the discussion. I know people don't agree on everything, but that's the reason there are multiple games out there in the first place. I know there will never be a game to end all in which every person plays, and they only play that game. It won't happen. You have 11.5 million people playing WoW and millions who want nothing to do with it. So to say one game is the best/worst, or the hardest/easiest is purely opinion, which people have and want to express, hence forums exist.

Spik3d, please refrain from personal attacks. Focus on the topic, not the person.

Comment

Originally posted by JoMaMaz View Post
          No, I did fine playing CS when I tried it with my old clan for a while. The maps are small and boring to me. And to be able to shoot someone from across the map with a pistol still makes me laugh lol. And I was the one doing the shooting some of the times, it wasn't me just getting pwned. I didn't find it that hard as you say. Sure, some better players owned me, just like I would own them in MoHAA b/c of all the time I spent playing it. I didn't get mad though, my ego isn't that large, especially when I'm new to a game and it's been out for a long time. Just b/c a lot of people do something doesn't make it 'good'. Some people just want to play it b/c that is where people are playing, yet they don't like the game that much, they just want to compete against people.

And the game will not die when the competitive community moves on. I used to be in CAL scrimming/practicing 35-40 hours a week and was a competivie gamer for a long time, and the majority of the gamers who play a certain game are the pub players. There are still about 1500 people playing MoHAA, and there are people playing CoD2. Didn't the 'competitive' community move on from CoD2? There are still people playing it. It may be dead to the competitive community, but that is not the same thing as the public community. If you play in both, you know. Competitive gamers and public gamers are in two completely separate worlds. I used to be in the competitive world, now b/c of tons of real life stuff, I'm in the public community world. As a competitive gamer, I would've been pissed at CoD:WW failing to have /record among many other problems. As a pub gamer for this game though, I could play this game for 2 years straight, easily. I want them to fix the 'server authentication failure' though, please, lol.

So I'll agree the game is dead to the competitive community, but it's fine for the pub community.

Now, will it survive after CoD6 comes out? I will still be playing it as I prefer WWII to modern games, but a lot will move on. Most people have a short attention span and get bored easily which is what Activision is banking on by releasing a new CoD every year. Which in itself, will keep killing off a huge chunk of whatever is the previous CoD b/c people will keep hopping to the new game.
          Well yes CoD2 and MoH still have players... but thats just relying on your vision of what a "dead" game is. Guess that really doesn't matter.

Originally posted by sithdemon View Post
          Why do you assume that? especially using the word obviously, some of us find CS WAYYYYYYYYYY too easy in some respects. The lack of lean and prone were what made me stay away, after playing rainbow six and ghost recon for so long, it felt like taking a step back wards (crysis wars I'm looking at you too). The balistics were all over the place, alot of damage and very little recoil on some weapons, which of course was the other clear sign something was wrong with the game,when people were using 3-4 weapons only, thats wack. Then there is the whole buying weapons and equipment something thats completely unrealistic and the worst thing you can do for any sense of balance.

Popularity in gaming much like everything else does not guaranty quality, though of course the flip side is that a smaller niche can sometimes write off something thats popular as simple and lacking without actually trying it out. Neither is necessarily true.
          You're comparing CS (arcade - NOT realistic) to a bunch of games that are intended to be realistic. CS isn't supposed to have a lean feature... you're not supposed to be able to prone... and a bunch of other things that are simply making up the gameplay of the game. Its just not for you.

And 3-4 weapons only? In a typical scrim you'll see a glock, USP, MP5, Pump Shotty, deagle, M4, AK, AWP and sometimes a P90.

Its meant to be a video game, not a realism simulator.

Comment

No one still plays it because of their old PCs or just because they're idiots.
            Those aren't the only reasons, to be sure...but if we're talking about the original CS, there do seem to be a large number of players still on it because it runs on low spec PC's. Some of the evidence for the lower spec is how much the game is played in "poorer" parts of the world where low spec PC's are more prevalent (you can see this on game-monitor searches). And although not 100% certain, I've seen both the low spec and "retained skill" points written about in several articles over the yrs. Again, these are not the only reasons, but it looks like they are significant ones.

Oh, and CoD5 is very much dead. If the competitive scene drops it, it won't live on.
            As others have said, in general the competitive community is relatively small when compared to the pub community. Competitive players can help to beef up the online numbers and prolong a game's lifespan, but unless the pub numbers were very low to begin with, it likely won't die if they abandon it. COD:WW's online numbers are nowhere near COD4's (although some of that is due to zombie & co-op not being counted), but there are still many thousands of people playing it (7500-ish at this moment).

CS isn't supposed to have a lean feature... you're not supposed to be able to prone...
            I think that's making too big of an assumption. CS came out and was popularized before features like lean, prone, and ironsights became popular. Once those features started to gain more traction, more developers began including them in their titles. As a hypothetical, if CS was first released today, it could probably be argued that those features would have a good chance of being included. If they were left out, we'd likely see many of the "the game doesn't even have ____ in it?" type of comments that we see in other titles that don't adopt certain popular features.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
              Those aren't the only reasons, to be sure...but if we're talking about the original CS, there do seem to be a large number of players still on it because it runs on low spec PC's. Some of the evidence for the lower spec is how much the game is played in "poorer" parts of the world where low spec PC's are more prevalent (you can see this on game-monitor searches). And although not 100% certain, I've seen both the low spec and "retained skill" points written about in several articles over the yrs. Again, these are not the only reasons, but it looks like they are significant ones.
              Yes more or less, was meant to be a more broad statement then I made it to be.

As others have said, in general the competitive community is relatively small when compared to the pub community. Competitive players can help to beef up the online numbers and prolong a game's lifespan, but unless the pub numbers were very low to begin with, it likely won't die if they abandon it. COD:WW's online numbers are nowhere near COD4's (although some of that is due to zombie & co-op not being counted), but there are still many thousands of people playing it (7500-ish at this moment).
              Sure people play co-op... and Zombie mode... and public servers... but those are also the same people who get bored quickly. It may not be dead now, but it won't go on much longer.
              And whoever said that the CoD series is running on a console timeline is right. Maybe thats what I'm trying to get at.

Comment

Back to CoD4 because it's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Astley View Post
                  I recently got back to CoD:UO and i absolutely LOVE it!!! Finally gone from the system with every gun is available to every army. Although i love CoD5 too because of its zombie mod :awes
                  You do? :awes My favourite CoD actually, I would have played it a ton if I had it before CoD4

Comment

Well, CS series is also hugely popular because they don't keep releasing a new CS every year. It's just CS, and CSS (two DISTINCT game mechanics.. almost two different games). They are working on the next CS (and source engine) but that won't be for awhile.

Also notice that all valves games really emphasize the game play balance. The competitive mods for them are very, very close to the original game. Unlike DAMN for COD4, COD5, etc, which change almost every aspect of the original game.

The constant release of the call of duty games hypes up the new game while killing the old (by splitting the community). You have to notice that the COD community is one of the only communities that has leagues spread across in a ton of different gameplay options (hardcore vs regular, damn mod, pam4, promod, CTF, TDM, S&D, DOMINATION, HQ, etc) that split the community even further.

But again, I'm hoping COD6 can unite the community together with an incredibly solid game for competition. The COD series has a unique game mechanic that can definitely compete against other competitive games such as CS. It just needs some guidance..

Comment

BAH, you all are right. Every one of you. The different angles you all are getting at are correct.

Everyone plays a certain game for a reason. Since CS:S is the example;

I know people who play it because the PC they have cant run anything else.

I know people who went back to it because they got PWNED on CoD4. They now go around saying how CoD4 is for kids and if you are serious you play CS:S

I know people who simply love CS:S and it doesnt matter what new game came out.

I know people who are just cheap. They LOVED CoD5 demo, but they wont buy it because they have CS:S and dont want to spend the money on CoD.

CoD4 has Search & Destroy. If people really wanted to play a newer version of CS:S, they would give this a chance. People dont go to it though for the MANY reasons you all are discussing.

I do think that all the CoDs will overall hurt the CoD community with all the divisions. It will eventually balance out, but take a while. I think Keyelite has good comments on that.

CoD5 is not dead overall. There are a ton of games out there going strong that have no way of being competitive.

Anyway. Good posts everyone

Crunch
                      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                        CoD4 has Search & Destroy. If people really wanted to play a newer version of CS:S, they would give this a chance. People dont go to it though for the MANY reasons you all are discussing.
                        Crunch
                        I've played many a round of CoD4 S&D (PAM4, ProMod, DAMN) and I enjoy CS a bit more. Playing CS you feel more safe... as in you can't get shot because someone poked their AK through the smallest hole in a wall and shoot you from across the map. You really have to know your angles.

Comment

I've played many a round of CoD4 S&D (PAM4, ProMod, DAMN) and I enjoy CS a bit more. Playing CS you feel more safe... as in you can't get shot because someone poked their AK through the smallest hole in a wall and shoot you from across the map. You really have to know your angles.
                          Haha, I feel the same about CS. The maps are a lot more linear though so you have a better idea of where the enemies are going to peek out.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyelite View Post
                            The constant release of the call of duty games hypes up the new game while killing the old (by splitting the community). You have to notice that the COD community is one of the only communities that has leagues spread across in a ton of different gameplay options (hardcore vs regular, damn mod, pam4, promod, CTF, TDM, S&D, DOMINATION, HQ, etc) that split the community even further.

But again, I'm hoping COD6 can unite the community together with an incredibly solid game for competition. The COD series has a unique game mechanic that can definitely compete against other competitive games such as CS. It just needs some guidance..
                            You are right about that, especially for modable PC games, the life span is much longer then 1 year, which is what they are planning on doing with COD right now. With decent mods games can go for 3+ years no problem. Though
                            being able to transfer mod content from one game to another can help with that kind of philosophy.

However the Co-op aspect again makes a lot of this irrelevant, I just need 4 people and I'm golden.

Comment

Originally posted by iQu'e View Post
                              Haha, I feel the same about CS. The maps are a lot more linear though so you have a better idea of where the enemies are going to peek out.
                              Thats true... but when the do peek you can see them. In CoD4 I get picked, set naded, and shot in the back by people I didn't even know where there. Usually in CS you can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by [7F]H||Jgr.Cmac[XI] View Post
                                The final quote there is about the quality of the software they produce and frankly I think they should look at their recent release in Call of Duty:WW and think god what a failure this has been in terms of errors and bugs I mean just watch this video and see some of the glitches they left in the game

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=huV91aIYsrM[/media]

I doubt anyone can say that this is a game even remotely close to a finished product we should expect from Activision and Treyarch

Those are not really glitches, but jumps. COD4 has them as well... some of them are on purpose too (eg AMBUSH). Others are not, if you are able to get out of the map (eg, backlot), then it's something they did not think about. Competition rules state that if the place you are jumping to has textures on both sides, and can get their by foot (no car jumping to exclusive places), then it's legal.

But in any case, there are more critical bugs than that. There are commands that make grass, trees, doors, furniture, props, etc. invisible.. and there not even cheat protected! COD4 had hotfixes for any serious bugs like these right away. COD5 has nothing so far. It's unacceptable.

It's pretty much safe to say that we should not get hyped up for anything Treyarch makes. They are officially on my "Do not trust" list.

I really do hope activision let's IW do their thing with COD6. The only way they can make another modern warfare game and still have it fresh is to reinvent the wheel, just like they did with COD4 regarding the COD series.

Comment

Working...
                                X