Decide the future of Call of Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decide the future of Call of Duty

This is basically a question plaguing this community (mainly the competitive scene) and its to identify which direction we should follow

Should we:
    • Go Back to Cod2
    • Go Back to cod4
    • Stick it out with Cod:WW

Everyone's votes are welcomed

Re: Decide the future of Call of Duty

Go back to CoD.

Comment

The vote is an interesting snapshot at this particular point in time.

However, bigger picture...unless time is a big factor, competitive groups might be better served waiting for the COD:WW v1.2 patch to see:

a) what gameplay issues it fixes
      b) if the http redirect is fixed, which will allow easier downloading of mods, and
      c) if then solid competition mods from reputable authors are released

At that point, a more informed decision could probably be made for the communities involved, regarding which game to go with.

Comment

So is this just a poll?

CoD1/2 are the best. Simple, no perks, no stupid ranks or prestige, just use whatever guns your army has. A more 'pure' and simplistic CoD game imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
          So is this just a poll?

CoD1/2 are the best. Simple, no perks, no stupid ranks or prestige, just use whatever guns your army has. A more 'pure' and simplistic CoD game imo.
          Back to CoD2, and stop trying to make the game so easy.

EDIT:

* Call of Duty 2: 2469 votes (57.59%)
          * Call of Duty 4: 1550 votes (36.15%)
          * Call of Duty 5: 268 votes (6.251%)

Comment

Back to CoDUO.

But, I like CoD:WW and I also believe the patch will really help boost CoD:WW's numbers back up.

Comment

I don't understand... are you not allowed to play more than one CoD?

Comment

Even if the multi isn't packed. every Zombie and co-op map will ensure this game is playable for a long time, all I need is 4 friends.

You really should be taking that into account. Of course those other games are going to have alot more multi player numbers, thats all there is. Heck some people like my self, are also becoming played out of the stock maps, though they are still tolerable, unlike the COD4 stock maps.

Comment

COD5 is dead. They don't care about it being competitive, they just want the money, otherwise they would have patched the recording feature so there is some extra anti-cheat protection for leagues.

COD4 is dying, but it's still a popular game.
                  You forgot an option...
                  COD6
                  As long as they focus on the competitive scene in this game more than ever, this might be the COD game that sticks like CS.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyelite View Post
                    COD5 is dead. They don't care about it being competitive, they just want the money, otherwise they would have patched the recording feature so there is some extra anti-cheat protection for leagues.

COD4 is dying, but it's still a popular game.
                    You forgot an option...
                    COD6
                    As long as they focus on the competitive scene in this game more than ever, this might be the COD game that sticks like CS.
                    CoD5 is not dead publicly. Maybe competitively dead in peoples' opinions, but 'dead' is too general right now, and people are still playing it publicly. Plus, for some reason Co-Op and Nacht Der Untoten aren't counted as "online" even though you play it online with friends, it skews the total number of players playing. Most games don't have this many people playing the extra features like this game does.

And that seems like an illogical connection to me that since they didn't patch one feature, they just want the money and don't care at all... I mowed the lawn and a bird pooped on me; therefore, anytime I mow the lawn, a bird will poop on me. Obviously they want money, it's their job. I want money for the work I do also. Gamers always get so huffy about stuff as if they're the ruler of the world. I guess it is the internet where you can pretend to be anyone you want to be and many people take that to heart.

I wish CS would die, but 1)People from 1995 still don't want to update their PCs and 2)Even if they play it on source, PLAY SOMETHING NEW! Seriously, are people that afraid of learning new maps and weapons to play something else? I hate CS, bores me, lame maps, too many l337 tards who suck at other games and only play CS, etc.

"Dude, I own at pong, been playing it since it was first released." "Are you good at other games?" "Yeah...well, I've never tried them."

Comment

Originally posted by JoMaMaz View Post
                      CoD5 is not dead publicly. Maybe competitively dead in peoples' opinions, but 'dead' is too general right now, and people are still playing it publicly. Plus, for some reason Co-Op and Nacht Der Untoten aren't counted as "online" even though you play it online with friends, it skews the total number of players playing. Most games don't have this many people playing the extra features like this game does.

And that seems like an illogical connection to me that since they didn't patch one feature, they just want the money and don't care at all... I mowed the lawn and a bird pooped on me; therefore, anytime I mow the lawn, a bird will poop on me. Obviously they want money, it's their job. I want money for the work I do also. Gamers always get so huffy about stuff as if they're the ruler of the world. I guess it is the internet where you can pretend to be anyone you want to be and many people take that to heart.

I wish CS would die, but 1)People from 1995 still don't want to update their PCs and 2)Even if they play it on source, PLAY SOMETHING NEW! Seriously, are people that afraid of learning new maps and weapons to play something else? I hate CS, bores me, lame maps, too many l337 tards who suck at other games and only play CS, etc.

"Dude, I own at pong, been playing it since it was first released." "Are you good at other games?" "Yeah...well, I've never tried them."
                      You obviously got thrown around playing CS.

No one still plays it because of their old PCs or just because they're idiots. The game is damn hard, probably the hardest FPS you can find (Other than the UT and Quake series IMO). I know I'm always the one defending it around here... but wow.

I've played just about every FPS in the past few years, and can honestly say that me playing CS so much is the only reason I do well at all the others. Why? Because CoD4/5 is EASY, its made easier by the developers.

The reason people still play 1.6 is because its supposedly harder... better for competition, stuff I don't really care about. But when you bring graphics into question, the source engine graphics look just about as good as CoD4's, if not better. The engine is at least three years older...

There's a reason CS has the largest competitive community, and usually the people that hate it have only sat in a pub for five minutes, gotten shot in the face a few times and raged out because they couldn't do the same.

Oh, and CoD5 is very much dead. If the competitive scene drops it, it won't live on. Sure people play co-op... and Zombie mode... and public servers... but those are also the same people who get bored quickly. It may not be dead now, but it won't go on much longer.

Comment

No, I did fine playing CS when I tried it with my old clan for a while. The maps are small and boring to me. And to be able to shoot someone from across the map with a pistol still makes me laugh lol. And I was the one doing the shooting some of the times, it wasn't me just getting pwned. I didn't find it that hard as you say. Sure, some better players owned me, just like I would own them in MoHAA b/c of all the time I spent playing it. I didn't get mad though, my ego isn't that large, especially when I'm new to a game and it's been out for a long time. Just b/c a lot of people do something doesn't make it 'good'. Some people just want to play it b/c that is where people are playing, yet they don't like the game that much, they just want to compete against people.

And the game will not die when the competitive community moves on. I used to be in CAL scrimming/practicing 35-40 hours a week and was a competivie gamer for a long time, and the majority of the gamers who play a certain game are the pub players. There are still about 1500 people playing MoHAA, and there are people playing CoD2. Didn't the 'competitive' community move on from CoD2? There are still people playing it. It may be dead to the competitive community, but that is not the same thing as the public community. If you play in both, you know. Competitive gamers and public gamers are in two completely separate worlds. I used to be in the competitive world, now b/c of tons of real life stuff, I'm in the public community world. As a competitive gamer, I would've been pissed at CoD:WW failing to have /record among many other problems. As a pub gamer for this game though, I could play this game for 2 years straight, easily. I want them to fix the 'server authentication failure' though, please, lol.

So I'll agree the game is dead to the competitive community, but it's fine for the pub community.

Now, will it survive after CoD6 comes out? I will still be playing it as I prefer WWII to modern games, but a lot will move on. Most people have a short attention span and get bored easily which is what Activision is banking on by releasing a new CoD every year. Which in itself, will keep killing off a huge chunk of whatever is the previous CoD b/c people will keep hopping to the new game.

Comment

CoD lost its soul when CoD3 came out. (not entirely treyarchs fault though, but the game changed drastically both good and bad in the later games too)

A competitive community is important for a game but far from vital - I am willing to say that CoD5 is living a bit on old merits - if there never had been a CoD game before and CoD5 was the first in the series, would the game be as popular? It's not a bad game even if I don't personally like it, but would CoD5 make a good first impression?

The reason CS stays so big is because there's really not a good game like it. Compare CS to CoD - big difference in so many ways. CS to BF also big difference. CS to whatever - big difference. There is games like WarRock and Combat Arms that have a similar style but none of them has the same well polished gameplay.Not to mention has a big learning curve, you can always get better whereas in CoD4/5 you'll get to a point where you think you can't get any better. Unless you play competitive that is

CS also has a large community and a lot of CS players doesn't play other games because they are happy with what they got and they never play often enough to get tired of it. They have friends that play the same game and they get stuck. Solid gameplay + friends = win?

I think CS is a great game even if I generally don't like the style of it. I can totally understand why some people play nothing else.

Comment

Your point about short attention spans I think is largely unfounded and unfair in many respects. For me and many others the reason we get sick of games is because after a couple of months we get f*** all from the developers in terms of support etc. If you look some of the most long lasting games are games that have been well made, have a good on going support and have a largely creative and also dedicated community.

If you think back to the cod2 days when we pretty much had free roam of the game for 2-3 years That game was still a massive game months and months after its release because we didnt have to look forward to the next one in the series coming along in a year. The only reason these games seem to die out quickly is because we are running on the console cycle rather than a PC cycle. The most succesful games on the PC are ones with only the PC community in mind such as Battlefield 2, Counter Strike. These games were made for computers and werent half arsed ports from consoles.

What I am now going to post here are quotes from the Activision Form 10-k brought to my attention by Grymmwolf and then a video hosted on Youtube about the cod:WW glitches.

Page 6
                            Products
                            Historically, we have been best known for our action/adventure, strategy, and simulation products. We have been successful in the superheroes category with our release of titles based on the Spider-Man and X-Men properties. We have also been successful in the first person action categories through the Call of Duty original intellectual property, which we plan on continuing as a successful long-term franchise. Call of Duty has achieved over $1 billion life-to-date sales.
                            Page 12 AND 13

Our future success depends on our ability to release popular products.
                            The life of any one console or handheld game product is relatively short and generally involves a relatively high level of sales during the first few months after introduction followed by a rapid decline in sales. Because revenues associated with an initial product launch generally constitute a high percentage of the total revenues associated with the life of a product, delays in product releases or disruptions following the commercial release of one or more new products could have a material adverse effect on our operating results and cause such operating results to be materially different from expectations. It is therefore important for us to be able to continue to develop many high quality new products that are popularly received. We focus our development and publishing activities principally on 12 products that are, or have the potential to become, franchise brand properties.
                            Our business is highly dependent on the success, timely release and availability of new video game platforms, on the continued availability of existing video game platforms, as well as our ability to develop commercially successful products for these platforms.
                            We derive most of our revenue from the sale of products for play on video game platforms manufactured by third parties, such as Sony's PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii and DS. The success of our business is driven in large part by the availability of an adequate supply of these video game platforms, our ability to accurately predict which platforms will be successful in the marketplace, and our ability to develop commercially successful products for these platforms.
                            PAGE 16
                            If our products contain defects, our business could be harmed significantly.
                            Software products and hardware peripherals as complex as the ones we publish and distribute may contain undetected errors and defects. This risk is often higher when such products or peripherals are first introduced or when new versions are released. Failure to avoid, or to timely detect and correct, such errors or defects could result in loss of, or delay in, market acceptance, and could significantly harm our business, financial results, and reputation.
                            Really what I can see from this is that Activision is identifying that the lifespan of consoles is short. That have clearly stated this and admitted that these consoles are in a sense a cashcow for Activision although all they have really stated is that in the first 2-3 stages of a consoles Product Lifecycle The can make a lot of money here however sales fall in the final stage of the products lifecycle when it starts its decline from the market. A frankly obvious point. Due to this reason its very understandable that Activision try to cram as many products into a consoles lifecycle as they can as its a financially sound investment here.

The final quote there is about the quality of the software they produce and frankly I think they should look at their recent release in Call of Duty:WW and think god what a failure this has been in terms of errors and bugs I mean just watch this video and see some of the glitches they left in the game

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=huV91aIYsrM[/media]

I doubt anyone can say that this is a game even remotely close to a finished product we should expect from Activision and Treyarch

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                              You obviously got thrown around playing CS.

No one still plays it because of their old PCs or just because they're idiots. The game is damn hard, probably the hardest FPS you can find (Other than the UT and Quake series IMO). I know I'm always the one defending it around here... but wow.

I've played just about every FPS in the past few years, and can honestly say that me playing CS so much is the only reason I do well at all the others. Why? Because CoD4/5 is EASY, its made easier by the developers.

Why do you assume that? especially using the word obviously, some of us find CS WAYYYYYYYYYY too easy in some respects. The lack of lean and prone were what made me stay away, after playing rainbow six and ghost recon for so long, it felt like taking a step back wards (crysis wars I'm looking at you too). The balistics were all over the place, alot of damage and very little recoil on some weapons, which of course was the other clear sign something was wrong with the game,when people were using 3-4 weapons only, thats wack. Then there is the whole buying weapons and equipment something thats completely unrealistic and the worst thing you can do for any sense of balance.

Popularity in gaming much like everything else does not guaranty quality, though of course the flip side is that a smaller niche can sometimes write off something thats popular as simple and lacking without actually trying it out. Neither is necessarily true.

Comment

Working...
                              X