Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where have all the people gone?

Originally posted by TheRealWolfgang

I'm still waiting for some big vehicle conquest servers, and I realise they're a pipe dream. Anyone who plays the big maps always goes Titan mode, and anyone who plays conquest goes to city maps. *sigh*
    is suez canal conquest too small? it is like the campG of vehicle maps but still

Comment

Originally posted by iQu'e
      Sidi conquest is actually my favourite map. Some excellent battles along the center point (whoever holds it get a gunship)
      Yeah, I <3 Sidi conquest. There used to be a server running 24/7 Sidi 64 conquest that I played on all the time but it's been gone for quite a while now. Anymore I just stick to Moongamers' 24/7 Tampa server since that one's usually full. Kind of getting tired of Tampa, though, so I don't play much BF2142 anymore (and the 'losing key packets' BS that just started yesterday certainly won't increase my playing time, either :evil: ).

Originally posted by Field
      is suez canal conquest too small? it is like the campG of vehicle maps but still
      Suez is fine, although most of the Suez servers I've seen are Titan mode. Is there a bigger (32-64 players) Suez conquest server? I might check it out sometime, assuming the aforementioned key packets nonsense gets resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_ View Post
        There are studies that have shown the human eye can't detect or only just barely the quality change from 60-120-180 fps.

60 FPS is as high as you'll ever need for the best possible gfx.
        Does anyone even game with a 120hz monitor? I'd like to try that out myself.
        Originally posted by messfeeder View Post
        What are your specs? I hear the game runs well with a quad core processor.
        GTAIV or 2142? 2142 is single-threaded so more than 2 cores won't help unless you're playing 2 games at once.
        Originally posted by jake_ View Post
        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQDiKGRut80[/media]

not to say quad cores don't help a lot elsewhere, just not in single-threaded gaming.
        Fixed.
        Originally posted by Amaranthuse View Post
        Isn't commanding in BF2 and 2142 share similarities of RTS? :|:
        It's a lot easier, your troops can manage themselves and all you really need to do on a pub server is use the assets and spot people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
          It's a lot easier, your troops can manage themselves and all you really need to do on a pub server is fly the gunship.
          It's a lot easier, your troops can't ever manage themselves and all you really need to do on a pub server is yell at them like you're important.
          It's a lot easier, your troops can manage themselves and all you really need to do on a pub server is hog everyone else's points for you.
          It's a lot easier, your troops do nothing and all you really need to do on a pub server is call the CO spot for yourself to have some extra intel all alone.
          It's a lot easier, your troops just head-charge the first roadblock they see and all you really need to do on a pub server is sit back and wait for the match to end because everyone's too stupid to notice the CO stepped AFK.
          Fi-fi-fi-fi-fixed.

Comment

Ah, classy. Unfortunately it's true most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane View Post
              Fi-fi-fi-fi-fixed.
              :laugh: Too true.

:cry:

Comment

Fixed.
                Seriously though, you won't see any improvement if you compare a 3.2 Ghz C2D with a 3.2 GHz C2Q in most games that are being released currently, or in the last year or two. You get a higher 3dmark score, and a longer e-pen0r, but you won't see improvement in games.

That's because (as I'm sure almost everyone reading this already knows) doubling the number of cores in your processor doesn't directly double the performance. A 3 GHz C2D isn't really 6Ghz and a C2Q isn't really 12 GHz. Rather, essentially, they can just handle more stuff at the same time. There aren't that many games that support all 4 cores at this point, and the only game that actually will benefit from all 4 cores is Supreme Commander.

For example, I can run Crysis on "very high," smoothly, with my rig and get well over 60 FPS in every other game I own. That being the case, what purpose would a quad-core serve for me as a gamer?

Comment

Well I've had a serious addiction to this game, and ever since school started, my activity has been at a minimum. I still and always will love this game, but I am much too busy now to play it as I have before.

Comment

I had no idea when i first popped in the disk that i would be playing it this long after... it just never gets old...

Comment

One thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I don't necessarily have to be a good twitch-shooter to provide a contribution. It's not like Quake or Unreal where hitscan weapons rule all and often instagib. At least in BF, you can use tactics to get the drop on your enemy and outsmart him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane View Post
                        One thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I don't necessarily have to be a good twitch-shooter to provide a contribution. It's not like Quake or Unreal where hitscan weapons rule all and often instagib. At least in BF, you can use tactics to get the drop on your enemy and outsmart him.
                        Omg yes! That is what I love the most about Battlefield, it's not a tiny map, it's exactly what the name suggests, a Battlefield. How many Overgrowns or Pipelines from COD4 could fit into Camp G?

You can maneuver around, drive vehicles in a big map, and the kit system means that you don't have to be a awesome killer to help your team or score points.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts View Post
                          You can maneuver around, drive vehicles in a big map, and the kit system means that you don't have to be a awesome killer to help your team or score points.
                          QFT. There's a lot more to the game than just getting kills.

Comment

Working...
                          X