First Crytek no Id Software :S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Crytek no Id Software :S

Would be good to see EA retreat from the PC market. Thnx for the opinions guys, and i like to see it go as a cycle that way its neverending, in other words endless.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle101 View Post
      Would be good to see EA retreat from the PC market.
      Well, actually, that would be the worst thing that could possibly happen. If publishers move out, devs don't get their games published and we are left with nothing.

No BF3, no nothing. You need to think before you come out with your cool to hate messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
        Well, actually, that would be the worst thing that could possibly happen. If publishers move out, devs don't get their games published and we are left with nothing.

No BF3, no nothing. You need to think before you come out with your cool to hate messages.
        I am hoping that we will see the publishing part becoming redundant soon. Digital distribution could mean that developers can publish games on their own. No need for burning CD´s, printing manuals, shipping to distributors etc.
        There is still the question of advertising, but haven't we lately seen quite a few games fall flat despite huge hype campaigns?

BF3 is an interesting example, because IMHO the BF franchise is typical of what happens when the publisher runs the show instead of the developer. Suddenly we have BF 1-2-3-4-5-6 and BF:This, BF:That instead of new original games.

Comment

Thing is EA cares about the green instead of its customers, thats why i think negatively about EA, i kinda feel bad that i paid 35 quid for Army of 2. In any case EA has done wonders for BF:BC and hopefully BF3 will pwn all BFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle101
            Thing is EA cares about the green instead of its customers,
            You see, i wouldn't say thats' true. Sure, they do have some bad games, but they have also made some corkers. BF2, BF:BC, Fifa etc...

But, remember it's a business with shareholders and a profit driven motivation. It's got to strike a balance between revenue and customer satisfaction. Now, you see, the two are connected. If there is no customer satisfaction, there would be no revenue. So, what we can tell is that if EA are doing well, it's games are selling well and thus we are obviously buying them

@Vreki

As for digital distribution, it's a nice idea, but not one that'll catch on for a while. It'll only take off once hard disks are bigger, Internet is faster, more secure and more reliable and once potential online sales are greater than store sales.

Believe me, they do the research. I have participated in a number of questionnaires for a focus group testing company, many of them from EA. I did one on 2142 and one on Command & Conquer (there were others as well). I recollect they had a lot of questions regarding online distribution, so they are doing their research.

But, until the 95th percentile have access to reliable, cheap net and hardware, store sales will dominate.

Comment

you don't want EA to retreat from the pc market trust me

you just need them to pull their heads out of their asses, use their brains and change their business ethic

Comment

I take back my previous post about EA, i guess i have misjudged/misunderstood, Alex your post has made it clear in the business supply and demand area for me. cheers.

And MrChris what you have said is quite true.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
                  you don't want EA to retreat from the pc market trust me

you just need them to pull their heads out of their asses, use their brains and change their business ethic
                  EA should.

The PC niche market will return to it's grass roots as soon as the mega-corporations stop buying out the little guys.

Graphics quality will suffer - but game quality will flourish.

Notice I keep calling it a niche? Low budget games that focus on game-play and innovation are what made PC gaming the genre maker. Dune and Warcraft I weren't exactly big budget.

One aspiring game genre being made by an independent publisher/developer by the name of Tilted Mills tries to expand upon the ideas of the PSX game Dark Cloud by taking Rogue-like (Diablo) Roleplaying Game Dungeon Crawling elements, allowing you to create your very own city and empire based on the money you earn from your dungeon crawling exploits, and removing any annoying semblance of a background story that annoyingly bogs down game-play in console RPG's. It'll be a free-form, non-linear city builder where you are expected to dungeon crawl for fun and profit!

It'll be the first real RPG/City Builder. Oh gods... I spooge at the very thought... Just think of the possibilities for a whole new genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka
                    EA should.

The PC niche market will return to it's grass roots as soon as the mega-corporations stop buying out the little guys.

Graphics quality will suffer - but game quality will flourish.

Notice I keep calling it a niche? Low budget games that focus on game-play and innovation are what made PC gaming the genre maker. Warcraft I wasn't exactly big budget.
                    Nah, all you would be left with is those rubbish hippy/indie games.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                      Nah, all you would be left with is those rubbish hippy/indie games.
                      Like the Lost Vikings, Warcraft I and Diablo...

What about Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake?

How about Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations?

Maybe Half-Life?

Yeah... real rubbish. :laugh:

Want to know what all of those games have in common? They were all made by hippie/independent gaming development firms.

They're big now. Sure. Because they were innovative, created quality games for a gaming niche, and wound up world famous for it. You'd have to be a delusional fool to believe that PC gaming is facing twilight with hundreds of mod teams, independent development firms, and aspiring publishing companies on the horizons. If you ask me, PC gaming hasn't even begun to shine yet.

PC gaming will never be anything more than a niche though. It's too decentralized to be mainstream.

Comment

HL series is still amazing, i.e. Orange Box, hell they should call it s3x in a box . Valve is still a very creative firm imho. And tbqh Steam is quite the online retailer, i bought small games from it, GMOD10!!!! but games such as CoD Series and CoH must be bought in a retail box in physical form thats the way i like it i am sure some will agree with me on this.

Comment

Just so ya'll know....consoles are probably on their deathbed as we know it. Microsoft lost billions on the development and deployment of the XBox 360 and they took over a billion in losses so far in defective 360 hardware and they will never be able to make it up. Sony is in the same boat. It costs way too much to create and distribute new console hardware every few years. But both companies knew that all along as this was part of their overall strategy. The 360 and PS3 are both long term consoles. So this is pretty much the peak of graphics on consoles....and this extended funeral will probably last about 5-7 years. Enjoy the console utopia that is now for it will die. In that same time period we will see a revolution in PC graphics. (ray traced vertex shading hybrids) PC gaming is going to flourish especially in the free2play area with ad support.

the bottom line, console innovation is stifled by financial losses of the hardware systems. Neither MS or Sony wish to go down this road again.

Comment

Originally posted by |D|-Jaws View Post
                            Just so ya'll know....consoles are probably on their deathbed as we know it. Microsoft lost billions on the development and deployment of the XBox 360 and they took over a billion in losses so far in defective 360 hardware and they will never be able to make it up. Sony is in the same boat. It costs way too much to create and distribute new console hardware every few years. But both companies knew that all along as this was part of their overall strategy. The 360 and PS3 are both long term consoles. So this is pretty much the peak of graphics on consoles....and this extended funeral will probably last about 5-7 years. Enjoy the console utopia that is now for it will die. In that same time period we will see a revolution in PC graphics. (ray traced vertex shading hybrids) PC gaming is going to flourish especially in the free2play area with ad support.

the bottom line, console innovation is stifled by financial losses of the hardware systems. Neither MS or Sony wish to go down this road again.
                            My God the Atari downfall all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by |D|-Jaws View Post

Dont they get a license fee for every game sold?
                              According to this article, there is a "console owner fee" at about 11.5%, or $7 for every game sold.

Comment

The downfall of consoles will be when they become PC's. They will get too confusing to use for 50% of the market. Patches, software bugs and registration systems take away the fun of what is meant to be a "pick up and play" system. This is one reason why the Wii is outselling both Xbox and PS3 combined.

Comment

Working...
                                X