Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which BF2 Statistic is Most Important to You? K/D Ratio? Accuracy? etc

Originally posted by Lazza66
    1. The stats don't say if IO was on or off.
    2. Destroying a friendly damaged vehicle (to make it respawn) counts as a missed shot decreasing accuracy.
    3. The stats don't account for whether or not your team lost the round or by how much (doing well on a team that's getting owned is harder).
    4. The skill level of the opposition.
    5. The stats don't account for team numbers stack (e.g. 6 vs. 8).
    6. The stats don't account for FF on or off.
    7. The stats don't filter your kills by vehicle and kit (e.g. flying as sniper the kills wrongly go to your sniper stats.
    8. Padding.
    9. The skill level of your commander.
    10. Whether or not you were squad leader (should affect play style).
    11. Suppressive fire and distraction shots are counted as misses, decreasing accuracy.
    12. Stats don't account for different value of flags that are capped.
    13. Whether or not you had a commander.
    14. The amount of spotting you do.
    15. Forced tk's.

I'll stop there, although the list could be very much longer. You must get the point. There are too many of what they call "confounding variables" in statistics to make a linear regression equation that could actually calculate a meaningful number to compare players.

But wouldn't most of those, since they are independent of skill level, happen to all players with more or less the same frequency?

Comment

Suppressive fire? :laugh:

Are we playing the same game, here?? If the respawn time was closer to a minute or two, people would think twice about running around as if nothing could hurt them. Besides, with the sh*tty netcode and horrible inherent weapon accuracy, people simply aren't afraid or impressed with your "suppressive" fire.

Man, at some point I was purposefully standing still, letting people fire on me just to see how long it would take them to drop me. That's how bad it is.

Comment

Originally posted by FMERCURY View Post
        But wouldn't most of those, since they are independent of skill level, happen to all players with more or less the same frequency?
        To some extent they probably would, but to what extent is unmeasured and unknown. Many of these variables would also vary drastically between people. For example I spot everything I see, all the time, I'm hooked on it, it's an automatic response and I do it without even realising, even while shooting. Whereas my buddy Chris who I play with heaps never spots anything, he wants all and any kills to himself, but when it's him that dies the survivors have less chance of knowing where the enemy is. Factoring in the costs and benefits of that difference for him and me is impossible.

The list I gave is only some unmeasured variables that make the stats pretty much meaningless. There are heaps of others like ping, view distance, low detail (grass on / off), macros, etc., the list would truly be huge if every "confounding" variable was found and listed.

Originally posted by Sloi View Post
        Forcing enemy to circle a building, or wait while friendlies position themselves is great teamwork. If you can't kill them from your position then confining them to theirs is invaluable depending on the circumstances. Also shooting at "where the enemy went" is usually enough to get friendlies in a closer or better position to go after them. Then there's distraction fire, leading a tank or whatever away from an area so friendlies can get to cover or another position. Don't know what's so :laugh: about this, happens often enough in my games.

I don't know how you think you can speak for others and give their opinion of "suppressive" fire. When they're stuck in a building and I'm hammering the only exit while a teammate gets into position. You're saying you know they are not "afraid or impressed with your "suppressive" fire.", pfft, why do they hide in the building then.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about, buddy... because I've never seen one example of effective suppressive fire in BF2.

Things might be somewhat different in IO, but I wouldn't know since I've only tried it once.

Comment

Are we playing the same game, here?? If the respawn time was closer to a minute or two, people would think twice about running around as if nothing could hurt them. Besides, with the sh*tty netcode and horrible inherent weapon accuracy, people simply aren't afraid or impressed with your "suppressive" fire.
            Actually no. Increased spawntimes dont make people more careful. But effects do Loud bullet cracks and deviation when bullets are passing close to you would make supressive fire useful in Bf2. And of cource weapons that actually do some damage.

If you have ben shot at with the m249 in PR you know what im talking about

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about, buddy... because I've never seen one example of effective suppressive fire in BF2.

Things might be somewhat different in IO, but I wouldn't know since I've only tried it once.
              I only rarely play IO, just to see if I've still got it. My most recent use of suppressive fire was tonight. I didn't want to move off the flag radius, and I knew an enemy was behind a shed. Occasional bursts of fire kept him there till I had finished capping then I went and killed him. Don't know why you have such a problem with this concept.

Comment

I have no problem with the concept, I'm just saying I've never seen it being used effectively once in my three years of playing BF2.

Perhaps I'm the statistically anomalous "blip" player. Who knows.

Comment

I have no problem with the concept, I'm just saying I've never seen it being used effectively once in my three years of playing BF2.

Perhaps I'm the statistically anomalous "blip" player. Who knows.
                  Lol, maybe. Use of suppressive fire is only one thing that muddies the accuracy stats anyway. Also decreasing accuracy is distraction, and decoy types of firing. But I'm guessing that players who never use suppressive fire (for fear of decreasing their leet accuracy) would never go decoy anyway.

Edit:

I've overlooked the biggest contamination of them all. Uncap rules. I know of a Wake 24/7 server where attacking the carrier is not allowed. This causes all the good (or rather wise) players to stack the USMC team. They spend the round raping the PLA airfield with their uncap and team skill stack advantage. There is no teamswap and all these guys ever do is stack USMC and rape the airfield. Legitimate padding IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                  X