Can't understand why Squad Leaders leave squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't understand why Squad Leaders leave squad

I've been playing on a certain Jabalabad server lately, and I've been frustrated because I will join a squad and more times than not the Squad Leader bails out within a couple minutes. Before I know it I am leading the squad, and total confusion follows.

I am a Gunnery Sargent which in many cases puts me next in line to lead a squad. I would like to lead squads more often but I don't for 2 reasons:
    1) My kill to death ratio sucks at .4 to 1
    2) As I normally have played Karkland, I'm not very familiar where things are on Jabalabad.

On Sunday the 2nd time this happened I dropped out of the squad myself because I thought someone else would be more qualified. When I did not only could I not rejoin a squad, after about 5 minutes I was switched to the other team.

Last evening I ended up leading the squad 5 times. I'm getting a little more familiar with the routine, but finally when our side had a good chance of winning I let the whole squad down because I got lost on the way to the Junkyard.

One time I joined a squad because the Squad Leaders name just sounded "stable". He bailed within 2 minutes. The very next round I saw the same guy leading a squad at the beginning of the game.

As I said before I eventually want to get into the squad leading role a little bit more, but I'd rather do this on my own terms.

Can anyone shed some light as to why so many people who start the game leading the squad do not stick with a squad at least to the end of the round?

Re: Can't understand why Squad Leaders leave squad

Because they are fed up of having to run to every flag. Instead, they want to be able to spawn on someone else who is near the flag.

Comment

Cos their squad menbers are noobs and half wont even spawn on them.

Me, I like my lads to hold spawn till Im near, then let them come in and do all the work.
      A good SL, wont have many kills nor many deaths.
      A good SL is just a spawn point. The skill is getting to a good place to hide thats near the flag and staying alive. Its your squad members who do all the killing and capping.

I was SLing on Jabalabad the other day too. Sadly my boys liked to shoot people from outside the flag, instead on inside it. And we sadly didnt get the flag. I tried to tell them, but I had no voice and it seems that they had problems with reading green text.

Comment

Originally posted by [RS]LSO|Maj.Colinloves View Post
        Cos their squad menbers are noobs and half wont even spawn on them.

Me, I like my lads to hold spawn till Im near, then let them come in and do all the work.
        A good SL, wont have many kills nor many deaths.
        A good SL is just a spawn point. The skill is getting to a good place to hide thats near the flag and staying alive. Its your squad members who do all the killing and capping.

I was SLing on Jabalabad the other day too. Sadly my boys liked to shoot people from outside the flag, instead on inside it. And we sadly didnt get the flag. I tried to tell them, but I had no voice and it seems that they had problems with reading green text.
        That sig is EVIL

Comment

Short answer? There are plenty of reasons.

Comment

1) another squad member is in a better position tactically so they leave and rejoin to let others spawn on the person. (IE a usmc guy gets to the main mec spawn on jalalabad, only a bad sl wouldnt leave and rejoin)

2) not in the mood, they may have joined originally and the sl left making them the new sl. Its really hard to play as a sl unless your in the mood for it imo since you have to keep tabs on your squad and the commander.

3) (most common) they get disconnected by the server

Comment

I appreciate hearing several reasons as to why I might be inheriting the Squad Leadership so frequently.

It is possible that I ended up with the job a couple times from gaining the best position on the map. The US position on the Infantry Only Jabalabad map is very challenging, and I can see the reason it would be an advantage to spawn on the position I had.

I never considered losing a connection as an option. It would be quite easy however to check for green colored disconnections from the server.

For the other times however I find this a little puzzling. By their own inititive they chose to lead the squad it seems that adding the confusion of adjusted leadership just lets down the team.

If I were to place myself in the the position of leading a squad I would feel it would be my obligation to lead it for the duration of the round. If there is an emergency that had to be attended to I'd at least let my squad know this. If I disconnected from the connection as I from time to time do, I guess it's just a piece of bad luck.

Perhaps I should just take on the responsibility from my own inititive. As suggested above I could just look for decent hiding spots and keep the spawn point open.

Comment

Join another squad and suicide ,, tactical decision to win the game .

Squad leaders are not killing machines , they need to get on a good position to take a flagg . Give me 5 medics and i will take any Flagg on any infantry map every time .

My clan has 2 dedictaed sqaud leaders and a point sqaud leader ( basicly some one who protects the squad leader) and the other 4 attack the flagg. We will always be bottom of the score list at the end of a Clan scrim .

The US spawn pint on Jelly bad is a prime expample of attacking , although in Clan games it will usualy be a 16 player Jellybad map anyhow .

If your playing on a 32/64 man server you need a squad that will play as a sqaud or its game over before you start .

Squad leader creates squad and is the only one to spawn , as soon as he runs out of sprint one players spawns and makes another squad and the rest of the origonal squad spawn . The new squad leader then does the same thing with his pre arranged sqaud . It gets a lot of players on the lake flagg very quickly ,but takes a lot of management berfoehand.

I have even seen a mass sqaud spawn like this used on a Sharqi vehicle map . Two sqaud leaders take the mec attack chopper over to the TV station , bail out and the voila 12 players take the TV staion before you can say holy parachute , once the tv staion is taken its game over on that map .

Trouble is playing public servers its very hard to get a good sqaud going if your not playing with your clan buddies ,,

My advice ,,join a clan and squad up with your clan buddies with good use of voip , It adds a whole new world to BF2 .

My clan has stopped playing ladder scrims now but we all still have our Sunday night Rape a public server sessions and if its a small Infantry server it gets emptied .

**** im giving away all my secrets .

Comment

BF2 imo has a great squad system but sometimes the SL's just dont get a good enough squad or generally dont feel up to it today. SL actually takes alot of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald-Eagle11 View Post
                    Join another squad and suicide ,, tactical decision to win the game .

Squad leaders are not killing machines , they need to get on a good position to take a flagg . Give me 5 medics and i will take any Flagg on any infantry map every time .

My clan has 2 dedictaed sqaud leaders and a point sqaud leader ( basicly some one who protects the squad leader) and the other 4 attack the flagg. We will always be bottom of the score list at the end of a Clan scrim .

The US spawn pint on Jelly bad is a prime expample of attacking , although in Clan games it will usualy be a 16 player Jellybad map anyhow .

If your playing on a 32/64 man server you need a squad that will play as a sqaud or its game over before you start .

Squad leader creates squad and is the only one to spawn , as soon as he runs out of sprint one players spawns and makes another squad and the rest of the origonal squad spawn . The new squad leader then does the same thing with his pre arranged sqaud . It gets a lot of players on the lake flagg very quickly ,but takes a lot of management berfoehand.

I have even seen a mass sqaud spawn like this used on a Sharqi vehicle map . Two sqaud leaders take the mec attack chopper over to the TV station , bail out and the voila 12 players take the TV staion before you can say holy parachute , once the tv staion is taken its game over on that map .

Trouble is playing public servers its very hard to get a good sqaud going if your not playing with your clan buddies ,,

My advice ,,join a clan and squad up with your clan buddies with good use of voip , It adds a whole new world to BF2 .

My clan has stopped playing ladder scrims now but we all still have our Sunday night Rape a public server sessions and if its a small Infantry server it gets emptied .

**** im giving away all my secrets .
                    That is a cool concept that you talked about. I guess I should add a legitimate reason that squad leaders will quit a squad. As you say this would be impossible to pull off unless the technique was practiced with people who knew what was going on.

Comment

Squad hopping is a cheap shot. A patch addressed this, but still some people find a way.

Comment

Some do not have the intention of being a squadleader but want to use the squadleaderfunction to make requests to the commander. For example snipers do it to request supplies. I never join squads with snipers as squadleaders for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by [RS]LSO|Maj.Colinloves View Post
                          Squad hopping is a cheap shot. A patch addressed this, but still some people find a way.
                          Absolute waffle . How is it a cheap shot if more troops are needed to take a flagg . Check out my stats and see how mant times i have hit the suicide button .. It part of a great Infantry players tactical know how .

Comment

Originally posted by Bald-Eagle11
                            Absolute waffle . How is it a cheap shot if more troops are needed to take a flagg . Check out my stats and see how mant times i have hit the suicide button .. It part of a great Infantry players tactical know how .
                            I am not questioning the tatic to suicide. Its a good, smart thing to do. So is hitting a flag will full numbers. But.....

Originally posted by Bald-Eagle11 View Post
                            Squad leader creates squad and is the only one to spawn , as soon as he runs out of sprint one players spawns and makes another squad and the rest of the origonal squad spawn . The new squad leader then does the same thing with his pre arranged sqaud .
                            This is a expliot. The patch tried to stop this.

Now waiting for the SL to run out of sprint before others spawn in, is a good tatic, if you got a long way to get to a flag and speed is needed. (like for a roundstart).
                            But making new squad leaders, disbanding squads and making new ones is an expliot. A SL should be an SL.

In my tourny at 21cw, when we used to play BF2, we never squad hopped or made new SL's just to expliot the system. We played to the spirit of the patch and BF2 on the whole.
                            Nor did we just have medics in our squad. But thats cos we never just played Infantry only. We always had armor and other stuff to deal with. Plus, we needed to defend our flag after. Cant really do that with just a bunch of medics.

But I got issues with clans and medic only squads. They run about from one flag to another, without a care in the world. In a normal BF2 game, that just dont cut the mustard. You have to defend flags too. Throw out some claymores, throw out some mines, use the armor, use lines of fire, jump in the AA, etc.

I suggest if you want real squad/team play then join a toury like 21CW.

Comment

If you need more bodies in a flag then the Commander should be sending more troops your way with other already made squads.

On squad leading a good squad leader should be able to do multiple things. They should always do their best to survive, they should be good enough to hold their own by themselves when people come for them, to do this you must know your enviroment and use it to your advantage. Second a good SL knows when to move and when not to.

Never stay in one spot for to long give your sqaud different angles of attack on different flags. Use your troops to move, when they move in shooting them move opposite them to get to your next position. SL should always be a medic this way if you die one of your squad members can pick up your kit and revive you.

Now it's even harder to find good squad members. A good squad member should hold spawn and group up with the others in squad. Protect the SL and try to distract people from moving to his area. Hit the cap get in and then kill out. More people in the cap faster it goes, be atentive on your mini map and if one of your guys is watching south then cover his north and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                              X