Hi I need some help or explanation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I need some help or explanation!

Hi all, I'm new here so I don't be harsh on me please.
    In the last few weeks I was attracted to jets.
    So here's the problem: it seems that when I fire a missile 95% of the time the missile misses the target - now you think "he doesn't know about the flares" (or something like that). I shoot my missiles after their flare are deployed (whatever the reason - me or something else) most often the enemy jet makes a loop or a side loop (WITHOUT FLARES !!!) then i fire my missiles and they go around/under the target or never fly after it. I can't remember how much times I have been killed like that and not only by J-10 and by other jets even if I'm with a J-10.
    Can someone explain why this is happening or is it me (my skills)!

Thanks for all the help and sorry if I sound like a n00b!

BF2 is full of bugs

But if this happens on a regular base, I think you aren't "helping" the missles enough. Don't just release them when you have a lock. Release them when you have a lock while aiming at the enemy jet. (or rather in front of it in a turn.)

Comment

Ok I'll try to explain again differently: I'm flying behind an enemy I fire and the missile goes left/right or below the enemy jet or the missile sometimes just disappears. One time it actually went and hit a nearby friendly helicopter.

Comment

Yes, it's just bad coding on the jets. The J-10 is nigh impossible to shoot down with missiles unless its flying in a straight line. Thus, most good pilots will stay in bomb mode and use the cannon.

Otherwise, you have to catch them whilst they are not paying attention, so fly in bomb mode, switch to air to air, force them to drop flares, switch back to bomb mode, wait until they start flying straight again, then air to air again and let them have it.

However, the majority of it is simply putting in time to learn different moves and techniques. i would suggest practicing with the bombers on single player Operation clean Sweep. That's how i learned. Now i can mingle with all but the best pilots.

Comment

Your missiles are firing from side to side as if they were mounted under the jet... so if your next missile is going to come from the right get the jet your shooting at centered or to the right of your cross hairs as this will add 90% more help in hitting the target during lock.... when the jet is turning don't shot at it either..they have to level out at sometime and a good pilot usually gets right up on tail end of the one they are chasing before hitting the lock and letting the missiles fly!

Comment

I think there is another factor and that is typical for online gaming.

When you launch your missile I think it will be from that moment on controlled by the server. The server needs to guide the missile to the jet of the other client. A powerfull server will perform this task better then an overloaded server. Furthermore if the server has to guide the missile to a client with a bit laggy connection and/or bit laggy computer it will be harder to guide the missile to the target and staying in range of the possibilities of the missile. An update of the client that is a bit lagged has to result in a miss.

When you play in single player mode you will hit the J10 most of the time despite a small hitbox.

Comment

First, I am not positive who exactly and maybe someone can post the correct info but I believe one the members (Sloi) has a guide posted on air-to-air that pretty much covers everything.

When you fire you missiles you have to help them as much as possible. In other words, you can lock on while in a tight vertical or horizontal loop and never hit your target. In the same scenario, while still locked on, try to lead the enemey jet as much as possible. This will take down anything including J10's. In fact, this is the easiest way to take down J10's if you are not good at gunning. If led properly your missiles will bypass the flares (they are not in the target window) and give you an almost instant kill. You just need to practice setting up your shots and being patient enough to wait for the righ time.

FYI, if you are in a J10 and trying to shoot someone down then chances are they are going to die regardless unless you are flying against a good/very good pilot.

Comment

Thank you, all of you.

I have another question : Why do you play this game when it has so much bugs and stuff

Comment

Because it's fun - for the most part
                  You can work your way around the bugs/glitches most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by amfohr View Post
                    I think there is another factor and that is typical for online gaming.

When you launch your missile I think it will be from that moment on controlled by the server. The server needs to guide the missile to the jet of the other client. A powerfull server will perform this task better then an overloaded server. Furthermore if the server has to guide the missile to a client with a bit laggy connection and/or bit laggy computer it will be harder to guide the missile to the target and staying in range of the possibilities of the missile. An update of the client that is a bit lagged has to result in a miss.

When you play in single player mode you will hit the J10 most of the time despite a small hitbox.
                    I dont know about that. Practice shows the opposite. 200 ms ping launched missiles miss at a catastrophic rate while missiles launched at 5ms pings have an almost 100% chance of "connection". And while it would be awesome if the missiles launched would be server controlled from the moment of launch, there just probably would be too many problems to deal with. For example, if the jets are close together, and you and your targets ping difference is 200+ms, what happens if you launch the missile? Even though the flight time from you to target is only about 100ms time worth?

The TV missile is the "player", in the sense that the "player becomes the missile" once the missile is launched. So ATA fire and forget missiles probably use the same principal.

The difference between J10 and F35B is in their completely different hitbox mesh and heatsource design. For F35B, the heatsource is pretty far back outside and the hitbox mesh is pretty much like a barn door. Huge, and the missile connects with the hitbox mesh no matter what due to the great angle between the impacting missile and the hitbox mesh.

|
                    | <---
                    |

For J10, the rear design of the hitbox mesh resembles a knifes edge (a very sharp corner) and the heatsource is hidden deep within the jet. So its easy for the missile to simply skim the surface and deflect from the surface. Post 1.21 (I think) patch, missiles FOV has been reduced from 90 to 45 degree angle, which means that the missile does get close to the jet, and at the critical moment, if its too close, it loses sight of the hitbox mesh and violently deflects. This is caused by the small hitbox mesh, coupled with the very "cornery" design that basically means the angle between the hitbox mesh and incoming missile is very small.

ii /
                    i / <---
                    /

In summary.
                    F35B- open heatsource location, large rear hitbox mesh design with a steep angle.
                    J10- covered heatsource location, very small rear hitbox mesh design with a very small angle.

How to shoot missiles at J10 so it wouldnt miss? The main guidelines

-lead the target like you were shooting a cannon
                    -shoot at extreme angles, with maximum lead
                    -never shoot while being in chase, behind J10 and it makes a solid turn

You should try to shoot through flares and at high altitudes.

Theres plenty of more to know, but SEARCH key is the best method to reach that knowledge bank.

Comment

Players who launch their missiles with ping 200 will definately have a problem, for flying in general you need a decent ping. I sometimes have ping 8-10 but my missiles also just slide a few yards next to the jets in front of me even if I lead the missiles and the jet in front of me is flying pretty steady. I recognize the problem he describes but one server has a better hit registration for me then the other. I usually try to pick my moment and fire about 1-3 missiles at once and vary to see what works best.

Comment

Bah, i play with a ping between 5-10, and yet the J-10 is still a slippery bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by amfohr View Post
                          Players who launch their missiles with ping 200 will definately have a problem, for flying in general you need a decent ping. I sometimes have ping 8-10 but my missiles also just slide a few yards next to the jets in front of me even if I lead the missiles and the jet in front of me is flying pretty steady. I recognize the problem he describes but one server has a better hit registration for me then the other. I usually try to pick my moment and fire about 1-3 missiles at once and vary to see what works best.
                          Unfortunately, for some god damned unknown reasons, that appears to be true.

Alex, you sure you get missed shots with 5ms ping? I mean, like, most of your shots miss?

Comment

No, just when i'm up against the J10. Apart from that, everything is super accurate. With such a low ping, i can dominate on IO :yay:

I used to have a screenie of when i had a 1 ping on CS:S

Comment

Alex whats your i-net connection?
                              I play with about 50 to 70 ping on some servers and from 100 to 180 ping on others (+- 10-20)

Comment

Working...
                              X