Camping or Defending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cantina_fly View Post
    Off Topic: I was always a fan of the "anti-camper" measures in UT2K4. If you stayed in one area too long, the game showed you on the map to everyone else (except you!)
    There used to be a mod back in MOHAA/SH where, if you stayed in one place for more than 15 seconds, your health would start to drain away! :laugh: Now that was effective for keeping people moving...you didn't have to be running around, but just not sitting in one spot all the time.

Comment

Totally not camping in that game mode, if it was TDM or FFA I'd beg to differ but since this is the Objective of that game type (Take control of a spot and hold it) it is totally legit.

But people will always find a way to ***** about campers. Just smile and wave.

Comment

Well when I play in a game with my clan mates, we hold a position. We tend to occupy one room preferably larger to not get fragged, and we just set up camp. It's not really camping because we constantly move around within our area of defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
          On objective-gametypes (DOM, SAB, S&D, HQ) I don't view it as camping, but instead strategically either holding a position, or setting up an ambush. To hold a flag, it makes very little sense to be running around in the street, asking to be shot.

And even though some of us like to kid them a bit about kill-cam whining, snipers can't really be accused of camping either, as that's what snipers do - find a good position, and kill enemies from there. The only thing is that in the real world, snipers rarely stay in exactly the same position for more than a couple shots, so their position isn't given away. Although COD4 isn't totally realistic, I think this can apply to FPS games in general as well...kill a few people, find a new spot, preferably overlooking the old spot so you can kill anyone who comes for you (where you used to be). A good sniper will have several spots on each map that he'll move to in-between kills, in order to stay safe, and set up the next kill.

The only time I really get annoyed with camping is on TDM or FFA when there aren't very many people on the server, especially on big maps. Even though everyone is technically free to play as they wish, many of them don't have the courtesy to realize that their fun depends on other people moving around, so as to cross into their sights. A lot of these campers then type in chat "I'm bored" or "Come on out, cowards" when other people get fed up and buckle down in their own little hole. There was a guy in our group who used to do that in MOHSH, CODUO and COD2, even on big maps when there was only 5 or 6 of us on the server. It annoyed people enough that they'd leave him all alone on the server...only then did he start to take the hint and stop doing it so much when there weren't a lot of people online.
          Amen, brotha :salute:

Comment

I don`t care what the game is or what gamemode I`m playing. If I feel like camping, I do it. If the other person finds it noobish and lame, good for him.

If you can`t take a camper out= you are teh suck.

Comment

even in TDM if you can find a good defensable position to fight from its not camping unless you are sitting infront of one door waiting for people to run into your line of fire.

Comment

There is a difference i never camp i defend watch the point or w/e camping is hiding waiting for a kill i always rush though.

Comment

It's not camping if you have 5 or 6 areas you're constantly moving between.

Comment

It sounds like there's a general theme here (one that I agree with). It's completely accepted in objective based games. I was in an elimination style TDM and it got down to 1v1 and both guys were camping and the other dozen of us were ready to play again. The guys camped so long they got booted lol.

Comment

Yay! defending wins! 38 v 3!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X